Aston Villa v Ipswich Town - Match Thread - Sat 26th January, 3pm | Page 14 | Vital Football

Aston Villa v Ipswich Town - Match Thread - Sat 26th January, 3pm

I thought we played it out less from the back yesterday than normal and when we did we just ended up messing it up. With the players we have I suppose it's easier to knock it up to Tammy but that's against Smith's way so no wonder we have issues there.

I noticed a few times yesterday that as we were slowly passing is along our back line with their attacker's lumbering after us there were a fair few times when there was an opportunity to step out with the ball from the back. Axel has the ability and confidence to do that whereas Chester and Elphick don't. Probably a reason why we're hitting more up to Tammy.

This current trend is one of the most ridiculous things I have ever seen on a football pitch. 9 times out of 10, it ends up going back across to the keeper, who then just twats it long upfield anyway.

Utter waste of time and invites totally unnecessary pressure. Half the time, the ball barely makes it out of the penalty area. Ridiculous!

I should add that I'm not just talking about Villa here. Only Man City can do this with any measure of success. If there is a quick pass to a CB or FB, great. But dropping them off to somewhere near the corner flag is laughable.

Yes Lambert after a couple of seasons lumping up to benteke suddenly decided to put the centre halves by the corner flag and it didn't work then. I laughed when he did it yesterday especially when one of the defenders is that ball playing cultured footballer James Collins

This current trend is one of the most ridiculous things I have ever seen on a football pitch. 9 times out of 10, it ends up going back across to the keeper, who then just twats it long upfield anyway.

Utter waste of time and invites totally unnecessary pressure. Half the time, the ball barely makes it out of the penalty area. Ridiculous!
Hear bloody hear!!

I'd have taken any kind of win before the game so I'm not going to moan about the performance too much. True , their keeper pulled off some good saves but at times he looked like he was wearing rubber gloves. If the midfield had been closer there were chances for some follow up tap ins. Nitpicking I know.
I wonder if Al Ghazi could play in Jack's role until he comes back and if we could play 4-4-2 with Kodjia and Tammy as a front pairing. We can't defend so we might as well go for it.
Whatever, Smith is going to have to shuffle the pack he's got.
Four days to add some quality in defence. Should be interesting.

Ah stats that can prove we played well, just like Hourihane's assist proves he was better than SJM yesterday because John didn't get an assist.
Sorry but the Eyes have it

Some of our shots on target were more like pass backs to the keeper which is not reflected in the stats. One figure in the stats also surprised me, 55% Ipswich possession, not good. I’ve looked at the extended highlights and our penalty was soft whilst their claim looked more justified. I’m not carried away by these stats against a very poor team and the win was not comfortable at all from where I was sitting. We desperately need reinforcements unless we are prepared to settle for being on the edge of the play off places.

Some of our shots on target were more like pass backs to the keeper which is not reflected in the stats. One figure in the stats also surprised me, 55% Ipswich possession, not good. I’ve looked at the extended highlights and our penalty was soft whilst their claim looked more justified. I’m not carried away by these stats against a very poor team and the win was not comfortable at all from where I was sitting. We desperately need reinforcements unless we are prepared to settle for being on the edge of the play off places.

Possession is another misleading stat, most of Ipswich's was probably around the back four but there again so was ours.
Yes, Mcginn went down very easily for the Penalty, I would not be pleased if that was given against us. The luck favoured us this week. It was however a deserved win

Agree re Lambert Jon, detest the man but afraid I'll have to disagree with both Sid and you re performance, seen far worse than what we witnessed today. Really didn't think we were that poor. Not great by any means but really should have been out of sight by the time they scored.

Yeah. You sum it up actually mate. Not that poor, but not great either. Totally agree. We've seen worse but it's damning with feint praise really isn't it?

Think it's the point he was making and how I felt. This team should be expected to produce better.

To think a loan signing was the last off the pitch and, along with Mcginn, looks like he cares the most is astonishing to me.

Can someone please explain to me why they think Smith is deliberately holding the youth back. What he is trying to achieve by doing this. I might then understand the argument a bit better.

Manager after manager, not just Smith.

I do think we've let a few go who had broken into the first team and should have used, but even though our manager history is chequered, surely they aren't all holding them back on purpose!?

As you say. There is no purpose and I know Bruce tried behind the scenes to start connecting things better and I'm sure Smith will want to as well, because the new owners have made it clear they want to produce players. (easy to say mind you, not as easy to do)

Ah stats that can prove we played well, just like Hourihane's assist proves he was better than SJM yesterday because John didn't get an assist.
Sorry but the Eyes have it

Well, Hourihane did get an assist, and McGinn didn't! Which is another way of saying that when McGinn has done all the work in taking the ball into the final third, he might start trying to be a bit more creative with it instead of blasting at goal.

This could be the difference between him being a decent player and a very good player. I suspect DS thinks the same. I think he wants players working and passing together more when they're in the opposition's danger area. Barney is another one who shoots on sight when there are better options.

Thought Ipswich were awful, i didn`t think we were much better and we should be.

Although 12/13 shots on target makes me seem an idiot to even suggest this.

Watched the 10 minute highlights and we looked like Man City at times, so WTF do i know.