Aston Villa v Ipswich Town - Match Thread - Sat 26th January, 3pm | Page 3 | Vital Football

Aston Villa v Ipswich Town - Match Thread - Sat 26th January, 3pm

I think Jedinak could be just what we need. Yes he's slow and defensive, but at least he'd be getting his head to some of those deliveries into our box that we struggle so much with and he's experienced enough to allow SJM to roam free.... He may also be willing to dish out a bollocking when it's needed....
Yep, captain of Oz , for me more of a leader than chester ever will Be

I’ve never noticed Jedinak encouraging or haranguing others but rather concentrating on his own performances. Like most of our players, better in our minds when absent than when playing.

My wife is going :(

Only plus is she has never been when we have lost :cheers:

Still :downer: mind

I’ve never noticed Jedinak encouraging or haranguing others but rather concentrating on his own performances. Like most of our players, better in our minds when absent than when playing.
Have you ever seen Chester shout at anyone ? The bloke seems scared of his own shadow

Have you ever seen Chester shout at anyone ? The bloke seems scared of his own shadow

Another one who has too many of his own problems to comment on others. We need the mindset that can lambast or cajole others when not playing great themselves. Power of personality, we just don’t have it and it’s quite a rare quality.

Chester is and always was a bad choice as club captain. I thought he massively overpeformed last season due to the JT effect.

It’s a huge kick in the teeth to take it off him mid season - you’d think he’d be professional about it, but if he does kick up a stink we don’t have many other options to fill in. Surely DS could have a quiet word with him and suggest he changes it so he can concentrate on the defence and his own defending?

We need a more attacking captain to take us forward - quite literally.

Thought DS had a policy of not sticking with one captain. Said he liked to pass it around a bit.

Think Chester's OK when he has a younger player alongside like Tuanzebe. It seemed a bit awkward when Jedinak was there because I don't think Jedinak likes taking orders from anybody. And with Elphick there may be a problem because Elphick used to be captain.

Might also be simply that Elphick and Chester will take a bit of time getting used to playing together again.

Agree with all that. It seems like Chester has become virtually "undroppable" ..

Not really. There hasn't been another centre back to replace him.
So far this season it has been,
Chester/Jedi. Didn't work so moved onto Chester/Axel. Axel got injured so then Chester/Hutton. Well.... need I say anything!. Elphick recalled and then it was Chester/Elphick

Up until 2 games ago when the not match fit /has hardly played Hause signed there hasn't been the opportunity to drop Chester .

Not really. There hasn't been another centre back to replace him.
So far this season it has been,
Chester/Jedi. Didn't work so moved onto Chester/Axel. Axel got injured so then Chester/Hutton. Well.... need I say anything!. Elphick recalled and then it was Chester/Elphick

Up until 2 games ago when the not match fit /has hardly played Hause signed there hasn't been the opportunity to drop Chester .
Bree was playing centre back until Elphick came back - that was four games ago (and Hause is now here). Instead of sticking with Bree and keeping Hutton at RB, he changed the defence again in every position except Chester's. After the Wigan debacle would have been a good and appropriate time to "rest" Chester, but despite being appalling in that game he kept his place. I know it's a short period of time, but if DS was willing to throw Hause in against Wigan with 20 minutes left then why not try him from the start in the next game or keep Bree in there?
When you're conceding goals at the rate we are and playing as poorly as Chester has, surely anything is worth a try.... I like Chester, I really do, but he's been in poor form for a few months now and a rest is clearly what he needs.

Bree was playing centre back until Elphick came back - that was four games ago (and Hause is now here). Instead of sticking with Bree and keeping Hutton at RB, he changed the defence again in every position except Chester's. After the Wigan debacle would have been a good and appropriate time to "rest" Chester, but despite being appalling in that game he kept his place. I know it's a short period of time, but if DS was willing to throw Hause in against Wigan with 20 minutes left then why not try him from the start in the next game or keep Bree in there?
When you're conceding goals at the rate we are and playing as poorly as Chester has, surely anything is worth a try.... I like Chester, I really do, but he's been in poor form for a few months now and a rest is clearly what he needs.

Yes GM. Forgotten about Bree which I think says more about his performances not being particularly memorable rather than my old age!.
However, I still think there has been little choice but to play Chester. Which may now change taking into account the article MF has posted this morning.

Yes GM. Forgotten about Bree which I think says more about his performances not being particularly memorable rather than my old age!.
However, I still think there has been little choice but to play Chester. Which may now change taking into account the article MF has posted this morning.
I’m probably harping in about it too much to be fair also, but I just hope he gets a rest soon so that he can (hopefully) get back to his best...

Deano will put his best 11 on the pitch as he sees it. As others have constantly said, we know nothing, absolutely nothing about performances in training so we have no idea which player could do a job. Like the idea of 4-4-2 personally but won't guess the personnel as it matters not.

I cannot believe how bad some of these players have been since Stoke game, even more worrying is they stay in the squad.

There have been players in these games who i never would have played again unless they impressed me big time, some scandalous performances effort and quality wise.

No leaders on that pitch i am afraid when we need them to be.

Lambert would be the manager of my worst ever villa 11. Never disliked a manager as much as him, not even Bruce who I've disliked since I was about 10. Lost count of the amount of times that mumbly twat claimed we were brilliant on WM after some God awful home loss in which we'd done nothing but hoof long balls to Benteke and sit deep. I want us to win every game but I truly hope we destroy these.