Aston Villa v Ipswich Town - Match Thread - Sat 26th January, 3pm | Page 2 | Vital Football

Aston Villa v Ipswich Town - Match Thread - Sat 26th January, 3pm

This is going to be one of those games isn't it?
Ipswich have been playing better football lately but, once they concede their heads seem to drop and they become vunerable to conceding two or three goals quickly.
We need to improve our concentration, especially defensively.
Our midfield need to be aware of their defensive duties, as well as their attacking duties.
This is a game that will give the winning side a big boost in confidence.

After much thought and an awful lot of hope, I've predicted a 2-1 home win.

Is this the time to play Hause? Reports back from Wigan fill me with dread but then so do the present incumbents. A semi-radical line up might be this;

Kalinic
Hutton Elphick (Chester ‘injured’) Hause Taylor
El Ghazi McGinn Barney Green
Tammy Kodjia

With Barney defensive midfield and Ghazi in Jack’s role. I’ve predicted a 3-1 win for us now picking the team I’m not sure why ?

Chester has been carrying a knee injury since before the last international break but, doing a limited amount of training while receiving some treatment has been getting him through, so I'd play Hause at leftback, where he can't be any worse than Taylor has been.
I like the idea of playing El Ghazi at the point of a midfield diamond. I'd have Albert on the right and Kodjia on the bench.

Kalinic.

Hutton.
Elphick.
Chester.
Hause.

Barney.

Albert.
McGinn.
Green.
El Ghazi.

Tammy.

Never thought I would ever say this, but I am not going, snd I am glad.

I am away (gambled on booking a break, hoping we were still in the cup and this would be postponed).

And do you know what..... the thought of being at Villa Park, freezing my gonads off, getting soaked and seeing another crap match and crap result is not a very inviting thought.

On the one hand you would think the players would want to show a response, but I thought that last week.

I am going fir a 1 1 Lambert style draw, and hope I am pleasently surprised.

And if I am, I may celebrate with a large vodka n coke whilst sitting round the pool.

By the way Deano is talking I think we need to give Chester a rest. His knee injury is clearly effecting his performances as he's looked poor for 2 or 3 months now. We may as well give Hause a run alongside Elphick and see if they can get a partnership going. I'm not a huge fan of Elphick but he has looked slightly more reliable than Chester last few games.

With our defence keeper and midfield (bar McGinn) I have no confidence. Morale amongst the squad is low as is confidence.

Never thought I would ever say this, but I am not going, snd I am glad.

I am away (gambled on booking a break, hoping we were still in the cup and this would be postponed).

And do you know what..... the thought of being at Villa Park, freezing my gonads off, getting soaked and seeing another crap match and crap result is not a very inviting thought.

On the one hand you would think the players would want to show a response, but I thought that last week.

I am going fir a 1 1 Lambert style draw, and hope I am pleasently surprised.

And if I am, I may celebrate with a large vodka n coke whilst sitting round the pool.

Harsh.
I’m taking the boy again to prove we can actually play football and win at home.

----------- kalinic --------------
Hutton elphick hoare LB ?????
-------- Jedinak ------------
Green -----McGinn --- Elmo
------Tammy ---- Davis--------

----------- kalinic --------------
Hutton elphick hoare LB ?????
-------- Jedinak ------------
Green -----McGinn --- Elmo
------Tammy ---- Davis--------

Tammy Davis could be good. Can see why you put Jedi in but not attacking enough for me. Also will relinquish possession too easily and we’ve got enough of that already.

Wow, just noticed that Ipswich haven't even scored a goal on their travels in the last 6 matches, November 10th was the last time they managed it.
Over to you Neil Taylor!

Not sure why Taylor is being singled out for criticism, he's amongst plenty of company - Nyland , Chester, Barney, el Ghazi, adomah, bolasie , hogan, Elmo ....

Well I dont expect at least 4 of those mentioned to get on the pitch on Saturday. Taylor is a clear weak link that the opposition continuously target, although I do agree we have a few other players who are also likely to help them stop that awful run

By the way Deano is talking I think we need to give Chester a rest. His knee injury is clearly effecting his performances as he's looked poor for 2 or 3 months now. We may as well give Hause a run alongside Elphick and see if they can get a partnership going. I'm not a huge fan of Elphick but he has looked slightly more reliable than Chester last few games.
Agree with all that. It seems like Chester has become virtually "undroppable" which bothers me. I also remember that when DS came in he talked about rotating the armband to players who merited it. That hasn't happened (yet). Don't get me wrong, I like Chester, and from everything we see and hear he's a great pro and a hard worker, but there has to be a time when his performances warrant a change. He's certainly not showing sufficient leadership traits... If he was playing poorly but we were keeping the occasional clean sheet then fair enough, but we're horrible at the back. It's all about partnerships, and Chester/Elphick doesn't work, so let's leave him out and try Hause or even Bree with Elphick....

Not sure why Taylor is being singled out for criticism, he's amongst plenty of company - Nyland , Chester, Barney, el Ghazi, adomah, bolasie , hogan, Elmo ....
I think it's because we haven't had a decent left-back since Freddy Bouma departed so we've grown used to giving pelters to our left-backs. Come to think of it, we've had some really bad one's down the years and Bouma is the only decent one I can think of since Dorigo/Gibson/Williams....

Tammy Davis could be good. Can see why you put Jedi in but not attacking enough for me. Also will relinquish possession too easily and we’ve got enough of that already.
I think Jedinak could be just what we need. Yes he's slow and defensive, but at least he'd be getting his head to some of those deliveries into our box that we struggle so much with and he's experienced enough to allow SJM to roam free.... He may also be willing to dish out a bollocking when it's needed....

I think it's because we haven't had a decent left-back since Freddy Bouma departed so we've grown used to giving pelters to our left-backs. Come to think of it, we've had some really bad one's down the years and Bouma is the only decent one I can think of since Dorigo/Gibson/Williams....

Thought Chris Price, Alan Wright, Mark Delaney were reliable full backs before Bouma, but on the whole I agree, nothing much to write home about these past 10 years at left or right back.

Personally, I think we let go of Joe Bennett too soon, I thought he'd started to find his feet. Delph was also decent when he played LB , a good manager would of converted him to that position

Chester's not doing badly, although not at his best. I agree he and Elphick don't seem to click very well. If we could count on Hause I'd give him a go for a couple of matches, but I suspect he's not ready.

Kalinic
Bree Elphick Hause Taylor
Green Hourihane McGinn Adomah
Kodjia Abraham