Aston Villa v Ipswich Town - Match Thread - Sat 26th January, 3pm | Page 12 | Vital Football

Aston Villa v Ipswich Town - Match Thread - Sat 26th January, 3pm

Poor game and very average performance but luckily Ipswich are dreadful. Deserved the win, could have been more comfortable but we are completely dedicated to shooting ourselves in the foot.

Mcginn was good as ever today, thank god he's stayed fit. Same for Tammy. Replace those 2 for any of our other current fit squad players and we've a lower championship starting 11.

Most of them bar those 2 were average. Unfortunately there are 2 who are well below. Taylor needs replacing immediately. Don't care who plays instead of him. The man is terrified of doing anything that isn't the most basic thing possible. The moment where he bobbled the ball out for a corner under no pressure summed him up. Elmo cane on and did literally nothing right. For most of his spell here he's just been extremely average but these last month or so he's gone sharply downhill. Neither should play for the club again.

If we'd played almost any team bar Ipswich today we almost certainly wouldn't have won. We need reinforcements and desperately need jack back. If we get the right players in and Jack can get up to speed quickly then the play offs aren't dead for us.
Rubbish, we could/should have had 7/8

Did Lambert get any stick from behind the dugout ?
Did he give any back ?
Totally agree he's an arrogant, selfish, egotistical twat .

Let's not forget , Ipswich hadn't scored an away goal since Nov 10th 2018 !!! Today they scored, hit the post and had a clear pen denied .
Sorry if I'm not doing cartwheels, I thought the team selection was dire and the subs were odd again.
Still we won most importantly and I'm hoping this is a turning point

Yes let's not forget to pick out plenty of negatives.....what team would you have picked?

I think many on here think it’s still the 1980’s and early 90’s when Villa were a club known for having a fantastic youth set up, producing lots of first-team-ready players. Since those days we’ve become a mediocre premier league/championship club, have had three changes of ownership and literally hundreds of staff changes in scouting, coaching and management.
Throughout football now, very few players make an immediate step up to a senior team without some loans at lower league clubs. Rooney went straight into everton’s first team. Notably, he was built like a brick shit house at 16.
Cahill is the only one I can think of at Villa and that was over ten years ago. Flabby went out on loan, Grealish too.
As MD mentioned, how is it that multiple managers all feel the same way? Are they all wrong? Do none of them pay attention? Do they all have a hidden agenda to deliberately hold players back who can help them win?

Didn’t know that. So was Hendrie the last one? Early 90’s....

Craig Gardner maybe? Anyway there's nothing wrong with loaning a young player out. It's just sad that we used to loan players to championship clubs.

Yes let's not forget to pick out plenty of negatives.....what team would you have picked?

To be fair. Legend Sid Cowans, villa through and through, was happy with thr points but far from happy at any aspect of how we played today.

I concur.

We were poor, luckily, v poorer.

Still delighted to have not lost to a lambert side though!

We are where we should be in the league. So are Ipswich. Don't feel much joy from today, I'm sure Smith doesn't. Wow. What a job he has on his hands. So hope he gets the time to do it.

Tonev may be irrelevant but he’s still playing Whelan every week so playing shit players is still very relevant

Whelan isn't shit. He's had a long and decent career. He's one of the few who I'd say has experience which actually shows. Like most players he has his limitations, but within those limitations he's pretty effective. Dean plays him because Dean isn't spoiled for choice, and knows he'll do a certain job. On the right day. Today in Dean's view was a right day.

Why today? Dean didn't want us giving away yet more needless goals, so sticking Whelan in as DM for a good bit of the match, against an average Ipswich side helped achieve that. It's called tactics. When Dean decided that he needed to pressure Ipswich more, after they had scored, Whelan comes off and Kodjia comes on. We seized back the initiative.

Been looking at the b.mail's player ratings. Scored pretty well across the defence. Note that they think Taylor had a good match. But no, according to some on here Taylor only does shocking matches. Hmm!

To be fair. Legend Sid Cowans, villa through and through, was happy with thr points but far from happy at any aspect of how we played today.

I concur.

We were poor, luckily, v poorer.

Still delighted to have not lost to a lambert side though!

Agree re Lambert Jon, detest the man but afraid I'll have to disagree with both Sid and you re performance, seen far worse than what we witnessed today. Really didn't think we were that poor. Not great by any means but really should have been out of sight by the time they scored.

Do they all have a hidden agenda to deliberately hold players back who can help them win?

Can someone please explain to me why they think Smith is deliberately holding the youth back. What he is trying to achieve by doing this. I might then understand the argument a bit better.

Been looking at the b.mail's player ratings. Scored pretty well across the defence. Note that they think Taylor had a good match. But no, according to some on here Taylor only does shocking matches. Hmm!

I thought Taylor had a better game today actually. As did a few others.

Probably says more about the opposition though.

Agree re Lambert Jon, detest the man but afraid I'll have to disagree with both Sid and you re performance, seen far worse than what we witnessed today. Really didn't think we were that poor. Not great by any means but really should have been out of sight by the time they scored.
Could have said that about the Leeds game, and many others.
The game is over 90 odd minutes though.

Deano seemed optimistic in in post match interview that he would be busy this week in the market. Another reason for optimism - hope we make one quality signing and maybe 1 or 2 for the future.

Jack returning soon, Axel another couple of weeks, could be an interesting run in. Still optimistic. UTV

Whelan isn't shit. He's had a long and decent career. He's one of the few who I'd say has experience which actually shows. Like most players he has his limitations, but within those limitations he's pretty effective. Dean plays him because Dean isn't spoiled for choice, and knows he'll do a certain job. On the right day. Today in Dean's view was a right day.

Why today? Dean didn't want us giving away yet more needless goals, so sticking Whelan in as DM for a good bit of the match, against an average Ipswich side helped achieve that. It's called tactics. When Dean decided that he needed to pressure Ipswich more, after they had scored, Whelan comes off and Kodjia comes on. We seized back the initiative.

I respect your opinion but I’m my opinion Whelan is shit , I get depressed whenever he gets on the team sheet.

Could have said that about the Leeds game, and many others.
The game is over 90 odd minutes though.

Not sure what point you're making Silhill. We didn't deserve to beat Leeds. We were completely useless against Wigan, we didn't deserve to beat Hull etc.......but today we won and deserved to win didn't we?

Can someone please explain to me why they think Smith is deliberately holding the youth back. What he is trying to achieve by doing this. I might then understand the argument a bit better.
And that's where I just don't get the logic of the statement that ANY manager would hold back a young player. It's a win-win for the manager. If the player does well, the team gets better and the manager takes credit. If the player fails, the manager can say that he gave the kid a chance but he was either not ready or blew his chance.