Aston Villa v Chelsea Match Thread - Sun 21 June - 4.15pm | Page 38 | Vital Football

Aston Villa v Chelsea Match Thread - Sun 21 June - 4.15pm

It does all come down to quality of players though. I will always say that .

Only last season Smith beat Lampard 3 times aggregate score 9-1. We had better players.

Lampard now has better players to work with, they have comfortably beaten us.

But if you have lesser quality players you have to make it up with motivation, endeavour and hard work.

Motivation, hard work etc. does not work without any skill. We need a manager in asap to prepare us for next season who can either bring in skilled players or has the ability himself or can bring in staff who can coach average players into become skilled players. Currently we have neither.

If Drinkwater is fit for Newcastle I would put him in. That’s how bad our Midfield were. Chasing shadows for 90 mins and getting no where near. He can’t be any more ineffective than Hourihane. Having him on for set pieces is pointless as even they have been shit.

If these players think they are too good to play in the championship and will be off at the end of the season then they need to think again. No one will touch them based on current performances.

Nope it isn't. Part of the hype about DS was that he was good at picking players and improving them. If that was true then I expected to see reasonably steady improvement in our players, and the team as a whole, throughout the season. I wasn't worried about the somewhat unsteady start because I thought that in time we'd see the benefits of good coaching.

Players probably have improved a bit, but mainly by the experience of playing in the PL. I think a lot, maybe most, of them have potential. But we're not seeing it. Give Guardiola this bunch of players at the start of the season and where would we be now? Probably mid table, which would have been a good return for this season. Same with Poch.

We got to the cup final because we deserved to get to the cup final. The players were good enough for that.

The only improvement I am seeing is in terms of as you rightly said - premier league experience.

There has been no improvement in terms of performance or skill besides Jack, maybe Luiz who I previously thought was just as useless as Wasteley.

I cant see another win this season if im honest with myself. I can barely see a couple of draws. At best.
That could be me being negative and pessimistic as i am prone to that.
But it could also be me watching that shower week in week out and calling a spade a spade.

You're are being realistic based on the team's showing since the start of the season. Nothing wrong with that. I disagree with those who think we will win vs Man U, Liverpool etc. because they'd be disinterested in winning against us when we play them as they would have nothing to play for.:rofl::rofl::rofl:

Only players who should keep their place are Hause, Mings, Konsa, Douglas, Grealish and Davis. The rest were absolutely shocking.

Might be time to use McGinn as an impact sub against Newcastle. He looked knackered for the entire game yesterday, he is nowhere near match fit.

I'm still not turning against Smith because I dont have a clue who could do any more with this group of players. they're dreadful and Jesus HAS to get the sack, whether we stay up or get relegated.

Steer
Konsa Mings Hause
Douglas Nakamba
Elmo Grealish Trezeguet
Davis Samatta

Give McGinn and El Ghazi a chance from the bench.

Absolutely dreadful performance. Hause, Mings and Douglas aside, the team were shocking.

Hourihane is absolutely dire. His abilities to mark and press are nil. He only seems interested in getting on the ball if he thinks he can get a shot off. He's not Van Nistelrooy so I don't understand why that's the case. Worst player on the pitch.

Targett has had a few good games this season where he has linked up well with the attack and also tracked back to defend decently enough. He did neither yesterday. I have no idea what he did other than look like a ****ing wet mop. Second worst player on the pitch.

I could go on, but I'm too ****ed off. Apart from those two clowns, there was nowhere near enough aggression. Dreadful.

I have been waiting to read your thoughts on the game !! :clap::clap:

I'm still not turning against Smith because I dont have a clue who could do any more with this group of players. they're dreadful and Jesus HAS to get the sack, whether we stay up or get relegated.

Smith is just as culpable as Suso, he told us that he was involved in the buys after we got promotion. Only a complete fool wouldn’t have an interest or a say in the main component of his job.

We know we can Divine, we've seen it even this season and belief is huge, it's easy to say players aren't suited to a level but the fact is - in our circumstances - we are one point from safety and we should be safe and people thought we'd be dead and buried at the end of last August. We have patently shown, whilst adjusting, we can do the basics - we just aren't now. That's a different question.

If you don't give Smith any credit for last season I can't help you there but it wasn't just Jack returning and claims of those sorts seem to forget the months Smith was in charge before then when clear improvement was on show despite the fact he only had an injured Chester to call on in defence.

No point rewriting the past to suit and justify a new frustration.

We should be a lot of things Mike, but we aren't. If the team's only plan is to pass the ball to Jack and hope for the best, what can belief alone do? If the team believed in themselves we would see them try to get involved in the game by playing the right way instead of hoping someone else does it for the team i.e. Jack. Not knowing how to play is the biggest of our problems. If we were to know and execute that, then formations, belief, motivation, hard work etc. can be considered.

Even if you think Smith deserves credit for getting us promoted he currently is not the right man for the job. I was not convinced by him even when we got promoted and don't give him credit because when Jack was absent due to injury we were on a poor run of form where we had won only 2 in 14 or 15 games and then when he returned in the home game against Derby our form changed and went on an 11 game unbeaten run. The "clear improvement on show" wasn't really an improvement. We have not improved as a team nor individually. Now tell me we are not a one man team?

Smith is just as culpable as Suso, he told us that he was involved in the buys after we got promotion. Only a complete fool wouldn’t have an interest or a say in the main component of his job.

I think the biggest fools are those who feel that Smith is still the man for the job. You don't even need to watch the games to see how bad we are. Listen to the man's interviews alone. Those tell you we have the wrong man.

It's the modern way unfortunately. Head coaches are less and less involved in recruitment. Makes sense, as most managers dont stay longer than 2 or 3 years whilst players usually sign for 4 or 5.

If Dean had the purse strings we would have Tuanzebe, not Engels. Maupay, not Wesley. Benrhama, not Trezeguet. Phillips, not Nakamba.

I think the biggest fools are those who feel that Smith is still the man for the job. You don't even need to watch the games to see how bad we are. Listen to the man's interviews alone. Those tell you we have the wrong man.

I wanted him gone well before Christmas, it was totally obvious he was well and truly out of his depth.

By Feb he had lost it and there was no way back, I'd have chopped him then because there was no way he was going to change - and he hasn't.

And yesterday was total surrender. If he had any dignity instead of coming out and chatting utter shit after the match, he would do the right thing and walk.

worst team iv seen in years and the worst managment team smith and terry are a joke in the prem

Yes I would agree with some of that McParland and I would love him to keep us up, but I just cant see it happening.
We are beggining to get that look about us that Norwich and Bournemouth have got, that whatever we do its not enough.
Some of our players look like they have lost the belief.
Worse of all Jack is continually played out of position and looks fed up of the whole thing and cant wait to get away.
i think the owners will have made their mind up already, and he is staying.
They would have done something about it earlier if they hadnt.
He does know the Championship and if they kept him it would make some sense.
I am getting to the stage of not careing to be honest.
I cant see crowds being allowed back in any time soon, and I like to be there not watch it on tv, so if we had a full season where we couldnt go I think I would lose interest. I am bored rigid watching this third rate product already, and we are only a week in.
Still as you say a win at Newcastle would be massive, so fingers crossed mate and UTV.

Yep we will 100% lose Grealish even if we stay up by the skin of our teeth. If he was thriving in a position that suits him, and we stayed up, perhaps he might at least consider staying, but he will be desperate to go and play for a manager who will use him effectively and improve his game and who could blame him.

Yep we will 100% lose Grealish even if we stay up by the skin of our teeth. If he was thriving in a position that suits him, and we stayed up, perhaps he might at least consider staying, but he will be desperate to go and play for a manager who will use him effectively and improve his game and who could blame him.
I think Jack will feel like he has had the weight of the world lifted from his shoulders when he leaves us, and as you say Dumble who could blame him.
I wish the lad well and will take a great interest in seeing what he can do with quality around him and the freedom to play.

Top players thrive on the pressure.

How many players at the level we play at have the entire fate of the team resting on them? There's pressure to perform well in a team and there's pressure to win games on your own. The latter is what Jack is dealing with.

Everyone knows that if you take him out the game via whatever means we're done. Every opposition side knows it, the fans know it, our players know it and the man himself knows it.

Every top player has a good supporting cast. Does Jack Grealish? We are the very definition of a one man team at the moment.