Aston Villa v Chelsea Match Thread - Sun 21 June - 4.15pm | Page 40 | Vital Football

Aston Villa v Chelsea Match Thread - Sun 21 June - 4.15pm

We even lost by only 1-2 to them in the cup. Not that huge. Great moment for El Ghazi to get that cross to Samatta. Still think we have potential above what we're seeing.
I think different players have gone missing at different stages of the season. Early season McGinn would make a difference. Heaton would have made a big difference. Ming's needed a partner, he's had 4 different ones. Freddie and Matt have both looked woeful at times.

So all players performing together, I would wholeheartedly agree. Is that down to Smith?? That is the question that needs careful consideration. What do you think Fulford? :throw:

Really Wal, so you don't think our last relegation season team was worse. While we were played of the park by a much better team, they are far better than Lescot and co. Watched Citeh demolish Burnley. We just have to accept that the gulf between top 6 and the rest is huge - and that's realism, not acceptance.

I think this season is worse than when we went down a few years back.

I think this season is worse than when we went down a few years back.
Yet we had a coach who was a great Believer of the football playing team style ,big time fan Who was supposed to bring back the style of Big Ron not what this is turning into.
I don’t mind going down if we went for it in most games but this is just going back 4 years or so again!
Just zapped of football already and it’s only been a week.
I’m a massive Smith Fan but even I can see he is out of his depth now.
Really believed the break would galvanise the team but we look void.

Jack has always dropped too deep to get the ball as he is always wanting to be on it.

I would ban him from going into our half and tell him to play off the centre forward and go where he likes in a central area.

Sorted

It doesn't seem Smith agrees with the 99% of the world including Jack on where he should play.
Time has come for two strikers and Jack in behind them, 8 defenders ie two lines of 4 and give the ball to Jack to run at them. Forget wingers we don't have one who could cross a road never mind a ball

Not even close.
Not even close? Really?
I must have some really weird extra dimension eye sight going on.
2 pts in 45 says it all.
But lets forget points. Lets look at how we perform.
Erm.
I see a bunch of useless, passionless, wastes of skin who look like they couldnt score in a crack house.
On par with when we went down. And i think the result will be the same. A complete surrender and a pathetic 'attempt' at staying in the prem.
Thats what i see anyway.

Not even close? Really?
2 pts in 45 says it all.
Erm.
I see a bunch of useless, passionless, wastes of skin who look like they couldnt score in a crack house.
On par with when we went down. And i think the result will be the same. A complete surrender and a pathetic 'attempt' at staying in the prem.
Thats what i see anyway.

As bad as this season is, I didnt expect us to scrape promotion with a squad of loanees and championship players and suddenly challenge for europe. I would have bit your hand off for any position outside of the bottom three back in August, and I still have hope that we will snatch victory from the jaws of defeat this season.

The last time we went down, we had a squad of some of the biggest young names in european football, we had just got to the FA cup final, I liked Sherwood and his whole attitude which I think fitted Villa like one of El Ghazi's gloves. Going down with that squad, with that Arsenal-esque manager, in that manner, broke my heart. I fell out of love with football for a long time after that season. Worst season I have ever witnessed.

Not even close? Really?
2 pts in 45 says it all.
Erm.
Thats what i see anyway.
Yet we're about to give O'Hare to Cov!! Unbelievable why do we bother with an academy?

It’s worse than our last moneyball relegation season because we learnt nothing from it. 12 months ago we were saved by our new owners, debts paid off and this management team given a wad of money to spend. Trouble was they gambled it all using god knows what criteria. It soon became apparent that we had yet again wasted money on unheard of might-be’s, the same path as last time. For that, this season is far worse for me.

Yet we're about to give O'Hare to Cov!! Unbelievable why do we bother with an academy?

i wouldn't worry about it he's 22 and nowhere near their first starting 11 never mind ours . it will be 3 years before he may be any good if ever Is another Barry Bannan , should be could be never will be. I really rated him 4 years ago but ,,,,,,,

It’s worse than our last moneyball relegation season because we learnt nothing from it. 12 months ago we were saved by our new owners, debts paid off and this management team given a wad of money to spend. Trouble was they gambled it all using god knows what criteria. It soon became apparent that we had yet again wasted money on unheard of might-be’s, the same path as last time. For that, this season is far worse for me.

Exactly what I was getting at, we're Aston Villa we don't do learning from mistakes and it makes me annoyed and angry and fed up.

Jack has always dropped too deep to get the ball as he is always wanting to be on it.

I would ban him from going into our half and tell him to play off the centre forward and go where he likes in a central area.

Sorted

I was posting something similar when I saw this.

I think jack has to be a bit selfish, but it will also help the team actually. We need him on the ball in the right areas, and playing 5-10 yards from the front man, not Mings.

When he drops deep and picks the ball up, he isn’t keeping his position and isnt the outlet he should be. The analysts always get excited over his touches and I genuinely think he sees it as a key KPI in how many touches he has. I couldn’t care if he had half the touches they were more clinical and in the final third.

By dropping deep, he isn’t letting other players do their job and when they look and see him on a level down the pitch with them it’s restricting us. He is also covering up their frailties, and in life you can’t carry people for long periods of time.

Last edited:
The same Johnson who has still never played in the top flight.
The same Robinson who Sheffield United sent back to the Championship after half a season in the Premier League and only 1 goal.
O'Hare isn't even close to lacing Albrighton or Cahill's boots at the same age!

In fairness Tierney.

DJ or Hourihane.
Robinson or Wesley/Davis (baring in mind Sheff I have about 6 strikers on their books).

And that would be the same Albie most panned because he wouldn't run the defender and just wiped it in (more average game assists under Houllier from memory - in less games obviously) than Young and Downing that year?)

And Davies was decent alongside experience, it was only because he pissed MON off having played through pain he never got back in the squad. Much like Luke Moore because Gabby was more of a runner - goal threat was irrelevant.

We've been a shambles for so long at some point we have to accept the consequences but move forward.