Aston Villa v Chelsea Match Thread - Sun 21 June - 4.15pm | Page 39 | Vital Football

Aston Villa v Chelsea Match Thread - Sun 21 June - 4.15pm

Yes they do, but the pressure on him at Villa is destructive.

Why?

As said, top players thrive on it. I guess the flipside is you could say his own behaviour have been destructive, a few times. If he isn't a top player, fine then the hype and pressure would be too much.

Honestly not being pedantic or awkward, just don't get why we readily accept so much as fans and/or make excuses for some of them.

You could name ten straight off the bat I'm sure who loved being the 'big I am'... then you have team players who are able to be slightly more in the shadow. Merson lapped it up, Yorke loved it, you can go to the Ronaldo's of the world, Messi, Le Tissier (big fish 'little' pond - bit like Jack?) and on it goes.

I can't see that anyone or anything at Villa is destructive to Jack, other than maybe the manager not managing/coaching him right, them blowing a bit too much smoke up his doo dah, and himself?

Im finding it hard to criticse Jack on the field at least. Played out of position and carrying the rest mostly. He would be well down the list for blame for me.

Is he that out of position that he can't make an impact? I am reliably told Smith consults more than many a manager would, with players and how they want to play.

As said, the one problem I do agree with, with Jack, is he goes too deep to get balls he has no business needing to go and get. Out of frustration from other team mates perhaps, but certainly that is something the manager and coaches should have addressed and especially in this division.

Again, our last magic player, I would argue, was Merse. No doubt he had his favoured position, but he didn't seem to shy away from wherever he was played and more often than not, made an impact.

Oh and just to be clear, I'm not laying this all at Jack's door, it is a team game, can't say anyone shone yesterday or, indeed, v Blades. He is the star though, he's the captain, so he is the one you'd look at to be over and above?

Jack has always dropped too deep to get the ball as he is always wanting to be on it.

I would ban him from going into our half and tell him to play off the centre forward and go where he likes in a central area.

Sorted

Your namesake and indeed myself, both concur.

Why?

As said, top players thrive on it. I guess the flipside is you could say his own behaviour have been destructive, a few times. If he isn't a top player, fine then the hype and pressure would be too much.

Honestly not being pedantic or awkward, just don't get why we readily accept so much as fans and/or make excuses for some of them.

You could name ten straight off the bat I'm sure who loved being the 'big I am'... then you have team players who are able to be slightly more in the shadow. Merson lapped it up, Yorke loved it, you can go to the Ronaldo's of the world, Messi, Le Tissier (big fish 'little' pond - bit like Jack?) and on it goes.

I can't see that anyone or anything at Villa is destructive to Jack, other than maybe the manager not managing/coaching him right, them blowing a bit too much smoke up his doo dah, and himself?
Its destructive in as much as you go out there every week, played out of position knowing full well that you can do a better job for the team but are restrained from doing so by a manager that is so bloody stubborn and wont play you were you know you can win games.
Perhaps I should have said frustrating, but frustration itself is destructive.
When you know you have talent in abundance but are not played where you can win games it must drive him nuts.
Indeed in games before lockdown he had started to openly bollock other player on the pitch and I just think its mostly as a result of Smith refusing to change tac with his tactics.
I associate pressure (in sport) with playing at the highest level and being expected to do it on the big stage, as opposed to being shackled by a poor manager in a poor set up.

Jack just isn't captain material, he plays his own game , when does he ever think abòut team instructors or see the bigger picture on the pitch , no disrespect but he isn't the most intelligent is he, the natural leader by a mile is Mings, the manager can't see that but it doesn't surprise me

Im still losing sleep thinking if its the majority of players being total garbage and uncoachable or if indeed smith is well out of his depth.
Smith is making mistakes but maybe he is forced to because the terrible players we have just cant cut it or be taught any other way. Im confused.
I just cant tell.
Or even worse.
Both.

worst team iv seen in years and the worst managment team smith and terry are a joke in the prem
Really Wal, so you don't think our last relegation season team was worse. While we were played of the park by a much better team, they are far better than Lescot and co. Watched Citeh demolish Burnley. We just have to accept that the gulf between top 6 and the rest is huge - and that's realism, not acceptance.

Im still losing sleep thinking if its the majority of players being total garbage and uncoachable or if indeed smith is well out of his depth.
Smith is making mistakes but maybe he is forced to because the terrible players we have just cant cut it or be taught any other way. Im confused.
I just cant tell.
Or even worse.
Both.
If you're losing sleep then tell yourself it's a nightmare and one day you'll wake to find we're just about the lift another European cup. I find it helps.

Really Wal, so you don't think our last relegation season team was worse. While we were played of the park by a much better team, they are far better than Lescot and co. Watched Citeh demolish Burnley. We just have to accept that the gulf between top 6 and the rest is huge - and that's realism, not acceptance.

We even lost by only 1-2 to them in the cup. Not that huge. Great moment for El Ghazi to get that cross to Samatta. Still think we have potential above what we're seeing.