Aston Villa v Chelsea Match Thread - Sun 21 June - 4.15pm | Page 37 | Vital Football

Aston Villa v Chelsea Match Thread - Sun 21 June - 4.15pm

They'll have gone mentally after that.

That was a hammering, let's not kid ourselves, that was soul-destroying. Chelsea are a decent side but they aren't Liverpool or Man City .

Well it either goes one way or the other. It will either fire them up to not let that happen again, or it will destroy what little confidence they did have. I know which way it will probably go.

I can't believe we only had one yellow card for a foul , which was in injury time. When you are being given the run around like we were , then at least get a few fouls in to disrupt the rhythm of the game.

Overall , I think we are just too nice and in a dog eat dog league you get taken advantage of big time.

Yes mate, I was embarrassed by it, what was it 80 odd % possession or something.
It if it was a boxing match it would have been stopped

Yeah it was just turgid crap wasn't it. Seen it so many times over the years with managers who seem to be doing things right, have a few highs...and then it slowly unravels.. Brian Little, Gregory,O'Leary, O'Neill, Lambert, Sherwood, Bruce...now Smith...all followed the same kind of pattern... a high or two, seeming to make a bit of progress and then the steady decline...Notice how I omitted Turner, McNeil, Vengloss, Garde and McLeish from that list...no highs...just pure shite from the outset! :grinning: Yesterday though was finally the tipping point for me so we must be bloody bad....I always have a game where I think, that's it, I cant gain any positives..we've gone...yesterday half way through the second half I had to get up and walk around the garden for five minutes...a sure sign of impending doom! :shake:

I can't believe we only had one yellow card for a foul , which was in injury time. When you are being given the run around like we were , then at least get a few fouls in to disrupt the rhythm of the game.

Overall , I think we are just too nice and in a dog eat dog league you get taken advantage of big time.

We are too nice but these are the nice soft players he has brought in. In addition to the lack of power, the gulf in class was truly embarrassing.

Depressing stuff, can’t really add much more than what’s already been said. After just listening to Smith’s after match interview, like many before him, he’s now officially lost the plot..it’s as if every manager we appoint eventually morphs after 18 months, 2 or 3 years into the same mould....afraid to try anything different, same tactics, same formation, same selection and after match comments which make us all shake our heads in disbelief....it’s as if the club becomes too big for them and they completely freeze. I’ve been more supportive than most but even the most ardent of his supporters can’t defend that today. We rarely look like scoring from open play and it was inevitable that once they’d equalised, they’d go on to win. Never thought I’d see McGinn and Grealish have so little impact...but Jack out wide...ffs! As for the rest...Luiz for me our best player but have thought that for most of the season, think he’ll be yet another we lose who‘ll go onto bigger and better things. Easy to forget he’s still very young. Thought Davis did ok again and Mings/Hause were reasonably solid but that’s it. No more flickers of hope on another afternoon of despair....
I always make a point of reading your post 66, because they are spot on.
If you are posting the above then the game really is up!

It does all come down to quality of players though. I will always say that .

Only last season Smith beat Lampard 3 times aggregate score 9-1. We had better players.

Lampard now has better players to work with, they have comfortably beaten us.

But if you have lesser quality players you have to make it up with motivation, endeavour and hard work.
Spot on Melon.

You have to get near someone to foul them, we never seemed to get close to anyone.

Defence bar Targett who was appalling did what they could seeing as they had the entire midfield 5 2 yards from them throughout. El Ghazi suffered the same problem as Davis and Jack. Either getting the ball too deep to do anything or too isolated. Jack I've already gone on about enough.

Of the 3 in the middle only Luiz can look at himself and say "I did ok". Was the only man in there pressing their midfield and that cross for the goal was a beauty. SJM I can understand being a bit off pace. A long injury and a recovery interrupted by lock down. Probably should not be starting at present. Let him build himself up, bring him on with 30 minutes left and let him give all he has. Hourihane, what more to say. Another perfect example of why he's just not the man for this level. Did not contribute a single worthwhile thing in attack or defence. Watching him jogging after Willian 3 or 4 times before they scored was embarrassing for him.

If I was building a dream team I'd set my team out either 4-3-3 or 4-2-3-1. Even though those are the formations I'd like at present we do not have the personal to play them properly. Our wide men just aren't good enough to justify playing 1 up top. Because of this we're forcing our best player out of position to cover the fact that Trezeguet and El Ghazi can't do the job.

My preference now would be 3-5-2. We've centre halves who are comfortable on the ball. Targett and Elmo/Freddy are decent going forward. We've 2 strikers who could compliment each other nicely.

At present I'd go

Nyland/Steer if fit

Konsa Engels Mings

Elmo/Freddy. Targett

Luiz Marvelous Jack

Davis Samatta

That's what I'd go with currently. Let Marvelous sit and let Jack drive us on through the middle.

Well Brighton have a horrendous run of games, but still managed to beat Arsenal. Can anyone see us winning a game for the rest of the season?
If you had posed that question prior to the restart I would have said yes, but having seen the two performances since the restart I cant believe how bad we are.
We were bad before the break, but have come back worse than ever.
What the bloody hell have our lot been doing in the lockdown.
Whatever it was I dont think football was ever a part of their thought process because they look like players who believed the season was finished, job done by default, and have just had a nasty shock, they have to play again.
I just want it all to end.

Absolutely dreadful performance. Hause, Mings and Douglas aside, the team were shocking.

Hourihane is absolutely dire. His abilities to mark and press are nil. He only seems interested in getting on the ball if he thinks he can get a shot off. He's not Van Nistelrooy so I don't understand why that's the case. Worst player on the pitch.

Targett has had a few good games this season where he has linked up well with the attack and also tracked back to defend decently enough. He did neither yesterday. I have no idea what he did other than look like a ****ing wet mop. Second worst player on the pitch.

I could go on, but I'm too ****ed off. Apart from those two clowns, there was nowhere near enough aggression. Dreadful.

I understand the point but not sure risking bookings and possibly a sending off is really beneficial although I agree we certainly lacked combativeness on the pitch and played too passively which I said prior to the match if we played that way we will lose as they will dictate the play with their superior quality

That's what I really hate about the Premier League. The gulf generally between the top 5/6 and the rest is huge , and breaking into that requires near miracles.
Agree Sir Dennis, we would all accept that years of mismanagement has left us at the playing level of clubs such as Norwich, Watford and Bournemouth. I don't see any permutation from our current squad that can compete with the 'big boys'. Let's at least go down fighting,play Jack where he's effective. Let's give Davis and Samatta a run together. We ain't down yet. FFP may be eased,which may be a godsend. Team is full of nice,one paced players.Recruitment policy,tbf, was forced on the club and l doubt Dean had too much say with the money men. Despite the current gloom,as a club we are moving forward and we may well drop but we have strong foundations at last.

They'll have gone mentally after that.

That was a hammering, let's not kid ourselves, that was soul-destroying. Chelsea are a decent side but they aren't Liverpool or Man City .

That was total surrender.

There’s no way Dean can get them back at it now, he’s totally incapable of motivating and organising the players.

Just a matter of when now and not if he goes.

That's what I really hate about the Premier League. The gulf generally between the top 5/6 and the rest is huge , and breaking into that requires near miracles.

Yes, but not helped by going into games thinking we can play to some new-fangled coaching systems with his new terminology like his rest defending, transitions, bollocks.

You can jazz English football up all you like but the fundamentals are hard graft and effort and not giving away anything at the back, then when you've got that right you start to be more adventurous.

We couldn't even get 10 behind the ball right, if you park the bus you park it with 4 players and 6 defenders those 6 never budge and are defenders note the normal team trying to be defenders.

I said weeks ago we have to grind out wins, 4 big lads across the back 2 extra fullbacks, a defensive mid who never crosses the HW line. then the rest are new to bomb forwards as and when we get the ball.

I always make a point of reading your post 66, because they are spot on.
If you are posting the above then the game really is up!

Cheers mate, think a few would disagree with your first comment but I think you’re spot on too with that one....:grinning: On a serious note....yes, it’s looking pretty desperate!

Funny how the bottom 3 clubs at the moment have managers who won't waver from their way of playing, the clubs who are midtable the also rans have managers who grind out points because that is where their clubs want to or accept being.

They make sure they beat the bottom clubs , and often get tanked by the top clubs