Aston Villa v Burnley Match Thread. | Page 17 | Vital Football

Aston Villa v Burnley Match Thread.

Thought first half we were decent - as we usually are - on the ball and front foot. Burnley looked awful and did exactly what I said pre-game 1) slow the game down and 2) get it wide and lump balls into the box. Second half, Burnley were equally as shit at playing football but did what they needed to.

Targett/Taylor - hopefully that puts to bed the argument for Taylor to be our 3rd choice left back. The bloke is a chocolate tea pot, he’s got away with not being targeted defensively in this league but Burnley knew when he came on he’d win nothing against a bloke about half a foot taller.

Secondly and more importantly, Targett has stuck 3 or 4 quality balls in the box today from the bi-line. That’s exactly what we needed outside of Jack.

Marvellous - I’ll say it, was marvellous.

SJM - good game overall

JG - needs to learn. Doesn’t always pass at the right time as Trez will confirm but that’s not the only example.

Wesley - needs to play the way he’s facing more.

Mings - is it me or does he want to foul sometimes? He’s physical and I’m happy with that, but he gives away some stupid free kicks sometimes.

It’s a decent performance for 60 minutes, unfortunately as we have found out many times already this season if you can’t continue the scoring you always give the opposition a chance.

Credit to the Burnley fans thought they were really good. I guess it’s easier when you steal a point at a big stadium in a good atmosphere

Last edited:
The highlight of the day was meeting Pete, Wicked Messenger very nice man.
The game is very forgettable as are Neil Taylor and Wesley Taylor cost us two goals with his weak play and Wesley is just a big idle lump. Play Davis.
Not sure what shoehorning Hourihane in was all about.
Targett was doing well but must be made of glass.
I really don't know what I made of that at all, feels like we won but yet again we gave it away against a bunch of talentless time-wasting oafs

You have at least got to say we are consistent. We always play badly in one half. Mind you that up to smith to sort out .but at the moment he looks like he is fighting a losing battle just like the team. In smith we are losing faith

A couple of more thoughts on the game:

Burnley will be happy with that point. I don't know if they are capable of playing better but at best they were effective today. I didn't see one of their players I'd like in our side.

Targett will get the 3 bonus points in fantasy football. I think that stuff is based on the Opta stats. Personally, I'd say SJM was MOTM but fair play to Targett.

The problem is Kodjia looks poor at this level, either he doesn't want to be here or he really is not that good, every time I see him play he looks like he can't be arsed.

Kodija hasn't been the same since the injury. I don't think he will have much to offer at this level either.

If we are going to play long balls to the striker to hold up then we may as well play Davis.

I think Wesley's size works against him. Defenders see him and start wrestling. Our defenders see him and punt the ball at his head. Much like Peter Crouch, we make ourselves ineffective by playing Wesley that way.

A couple of more thoughts on the game:

Burnley will be happy with that point. I don't know if they are capable of playing better but at best they were effective today. I didn't see one of their players I'd like in our side.

Targett will get the 3 bonus points in fantasy football. I think that stuff is based on the Opta stats. Personally, I'd say SJM was MOTM but fair play to Targett.

Nakamba MOTM for me all day long mate, a flawless performance and presumably can only get better.

We have better players than Burnley all over the pitch but we were bullied by them yet again.

Really pissed off with VAR again, cost us a goal for and a goal against today ffs - we really aren't getting the rub of the green still...

Time for Grealish to show that he's genuinely got what it takes to be a player at this level imo, really sloppy/weak on the edge of the box today.

Nakamba MOTM for me all day long mate, a flawless performance and presumably can only get better.

We have better players than Burnley all over the pitch but we were bullied by them yet again.

Really pissed off with VAR again, cost us a goal for and a goal against today ffs - we really aren't getting the rub of the green still...

Time for Grealish to show that he's genuinely got what it takes to be a player at this level imo, really sloppy/weak on the edge of the box today.

Grealish had a couple of good chances today that he blasted when he should have placed. I'm sure he nails them in training all the time. I get the feeling he wants to be the hero so badly that he over-eggs it a bit.

He close control is sublime though. They can't get near him.

To help keep myself sane, I've done some basic stats to keep up my positivity!

So far, we have only played one team in the bottom 10 this year (Everton) and comfortably beat them. That fact surprised me, but hey ho!

if we need 36 points to stay up, we should need 9 points per 9-10 games. so far we have 6 (fuck you Friend!) and a win in the next two games would have us on track. (we will fluke back that lost point sometime this season)

The hardest opposition we have faced was Arse and Spuds. We were winning until about 70 mins in each of those matches. Only Palace has completely bossed us so far, and we earned a point in my eyes at least!

All in all, we have a small haul of points, but it ain't all bad. We will get better, keep the faith!

Grealish had a couple of good chances today that he blasted when he should have placed. I'm sure he nails them in training all the time. I get the feeling he wants to be the hero so badly that he over-eggs it a bit.

He close control is sublime though. They can't get near him.

Not the first game he's blasted over a few times when really he should be trying to place them, as he's well capable.

Agree about his control, he's a Premier League player no doubt. He took the piss a few times today leaving Burnley players for dead.

He wasn't exactly romping the championship either when he featured, should have been off loaded in the summer so we at least had a few quid spare to put towards another striker.

Injuries have affected him, and he hasn't reached the same level he was at in his first couple of seasons.

But I do think he's useful to have (not like we have much options) as he's completely unpredictable at times.

Bloody hell it's frustrating being a Villa fan. Nobody to blame tonight but ourselves. Switched off twice and they made us pay with their two attempts in the second half. Positives, thought we were very good first half, Marvelous showing us his potential again, Targett showing why he has to start in front of Taylor, Jack playing higher up the pitch...that must continue, McGinn...outstanding despite being kicked throughout and receiving sod all protection from the inept Lee Mason. Negatives...Wesley disappointed me today, little to no effect on the game, Conor...little or no impact, Taylor.....done ok thus far but as many of us have said, over the course of the season, he'll cost us...as was the case today even tho he was only on for 30mins! Oh one more positive, thank God we dont have to watch Burnley every week, time wasting from the 3rd minute, breaking up play whenever possible, very gd at playing to their strengths maybe but bloody awful to watch. Tony Pulis would have been impressed. That said, we have to start playing for 90 mins and remain switched on throughout. Sooner we realise that the better otherwise come next May we all know where we'll be heading.