Aston Villa: Memory Lane | Page 85 | Vital Football

Aston Villa: Memory Lane

I understand he even had proud photos of the team with the European Cup removed from display in the corridors of Villa Park just because he wasn't in charge at that time.

That Perfectly sums up his megalomanic ego whilst still having a corner shop mentality in running a big club.
Tbf to Doug,he was a breath of fresh air initially. But his Mr Aston Villa tag, typified by "reluctantly" allowing a stand to bear his name, underscores the route by which Doug's concerns became more important than the club. I recall the likes of Shankly and Ferguson saying that Aston Villa would join the elite. Doug was excellent in some ways but he was slowly strangling our club. We were in desperate straits when he sold to Randy. To finish on a more optimistic note,our new owners must be bamboozled by the events of their short reign but they look the real deal to me. Howe,I'm the genius who didn't want Ron Saunders and welcomed Randy and Tony with open arms. No fool like an ----.

Not strictly Villa, but the Holte in all its glory :love:

A special time for me as a just turned 12-year-old local boy being in the area at the time.

I remember thousands of Germans walking around with most of them it seemed wearing Parka coats shouting "UWE" after their famous center forward Uwe Rosler
Seeler.
I remember going into Villa Park after they opened the gates and was struck with how vivid the kits of Argentina and Spain were after the drab kits of English football.

I remember seeing the biggest funfair I have ever seen all over the back of Aston Park but most of all, I fondly remember seeing for the first time in my young life Aston Hall lit by candlelight.

Magic memories and smells of that night that hopefully will never leave me.

Last edited:
The Trinity Road Enclosure was my first experience of Villa Park.
First game Trinity Upper. 1st February 1958. Villa v Blackpool. Stanley Matthews on his birthday, Whole ground sang happy birthday. Stanley then upset us by laying on the opener. Stan left our left back on his arse a few times but Stan was so slow by then that our left back was able to chase after Stan and catch him. Memory tells me that Gerry Hitchens levelled but l have seen Peter Macparland credited with the goal. Nigel Sims flattened the Seasiders centre forward,Ray Charnley and the striker was carried off on a stretcher. Finished 1-1.We were an Aston family so the Villa were a part of us,heart and soul.Great day crowd nearly 50000. Hooked,,line and sinker.