Aston Villa: Memory Lane | Page 84 | Vital Football

Aston Villa: Memory Lane

Just watched us beat Manchester in the 1957 FA Cup final
Good old Kenneth Wolstenholme on the mike referred to us as Villa and them as Manchester all throughout the game. At ko it was our 9th final and their 3rd , bloody hell how did we allow them to get above us
People at the very top of our club weren't up to it. We were left behind in the sixties,Doug gave us a shot in the arm but wouldn't go the extra mile. Randy made a dynamic impact but personal circumstances finished him at Villa. Tony was Tony. Should know better at my age but our new owners,given time, look a good bet to drive us forward.

People at the very top of our club weren't up to it. We were left behind in the sixties,Doug gave us a shot in the arm but wouldn't go the extra mile. Randy made a dynamic impact but personal circumstances finished him at Villa. Tony was Tony. Should know better at my age but our new owners,given time, look a good bet to drive us forward.
Yes you should know better JP. but stranger things have happened.

Once the Victorian era was over we just couldn't seem to sustain any success. Didn't we spend the majority of the decade after that FA cup win struggling against relegation till we finally slid ignominiously down to the 3rd tier. Much like how we were relegated 5 years after winning the highest honour in club football.

Whenever its time to take the next step to either challenge for the top honours or in the case of the European cup winners dominate we just seem to take a step back and fall apart.

yep, we all thought we'd kick on in 1982 but it never happened. I've been waiting ever since, the frightening thing is there are a whole generation of Villa fans that have never been us win a thing but they are still Villa fans which is amazing

yep, we all thought we'd kick on in 1982 but it never happened. I've been waiting ever since, the frightening thing is there are a whole generation of Villa fans that have never been us win a thing but they are still Villa fans which is amazing

I grew up with older Villa fans pitying me as I'd only seen us win 2 league cups. At least I can look back and think that, bar the odd bad season, we were consistently in the top 8 in the top division and getting into Europe.

God knows what its been like growing up with us struggling in the Premier league every year and miserably getting relegated.