Aston Villa: Memory Lane | Page 74 | Vital Football

Aston Villa: Memory Lane

Happy days! Will never forget watching Sid Cowans being kicked into the net by their keeper after scoring the penalty. Bloody hell, Barcelona were a disgrace that night but the mighty Villa put them in their place!

Any one notice Peter Withe spreading their centre half's nose all over his face when Gary Shaw scored the first goal. Barcelona are still the dirtiest side I have ever seen at Villa Park.

Cowan's delivering a quality free kick with his "weaker foot". Sometimes I forget how good he was. We have been graced with some wonderful players down the years.

Sid is still my favourite Villa player, all round he had everything, 2 great feet, a ferocious tackle, could head pretty well, a brilliant football brain and the heart of a Lion. What would he be worth today.......frightening to think!!!!!!!

Ah, such a beautiful day remembered so well by this rare video.

Remember that lovely chant: "3-1, Where's your treble gone" :lol:

You know what - We can do it again in March.:utv:

I remember that day so well. Got a ticket on the Friday late on as at the time had let my ST lapse, young children and mortgage etc, and booked on the Saturday morning on one of the WMT double decker buses from VP.
I got on the bus on Sunday in Queens road, there seemed loads of them, and we set in convoy down the M 1 I think at 50 mph tops. We then got stuck in traffic on the North Circular so most of us got off and ran about 2 or 3 miles to the stadium....not good for my flu, got in the ground just as they kicked off. Sat on my own on the back row behind the goal, what a game , we were brilliant that day against a very good Man U team. Lost my voice because of all the singing, felt even more crap on the way home on that bloody bus, I'm sure it had its handbrake on because it was so slow. Picked my car up by VP, drove home to arrive about 1am absolutely shattered, not feeling human at all, but what a great day......it's why we follow football....I would do it all again tomorrow VTID.

What happened to Chuck? He suddenly disappeared mid way through Lerners reign. Seemed a nice bloke, all be it a bit of a strange appointment. In fact, did he even have a job under that regime or was the General just a fan liaison tub thumper?

Villa fans at the end..........."WE WANT SAUNDERS":utv::utv::utv::utv::utv:. I'm not ashamed to admit brings a tear to the eye particularly when you think he has now passed.

The noise from the Villa end that day was unreal and if the same were to happen in the modern era it would be banned on the grounds of health and safety and fans would be forced to wear ear defenders to protect them from harm.