Aston Villa: Memory Lane | Page 45 | Vital Football

Aston Villa: Memory Lane

Never took to Cascarino. Remember him missing a sitter in front of the Holte and there was a torrent of abuse. He just stared at the crowd, while Sid was on the edge of the area making tone it down kind of gestures!

Never took to Cascarino. Remember him missing a sitter in front of the Holte and there was a torrent of abuse. He just stared at the crowd, while Sid was on the edge of the area making tone it down kind of gestures!
Would that miss been against Wimbledon in the FA Cup? Remember that miss in particular! Always felt that had he scored on his debut against Derby when Shilton made an astonishing save from his header, history could have been so different. He appeared to try almost too hard after that, but never hid, to his credit. He always speaks well of the club on the radio, says he loved his time at VP and revealed that he signed for £4000 a week which I guess was a large amount for Deadly to lash out in those days! At least Cas can say we still sing a song about him! He had a brain tumour removed last summer but has fully recovered. I wish him well.

Would that miss been against Wimbledon in the FA Cup? Remember that miss in particular! Always felt that had he scored on his debut against Derby when Shilton made an astonishing save from his header, history could have been so different. He appeared to try almost too hard after that, but never hid, to his credit. He always speaks well of the club on the radio, says he loved his time at VP and revealed that he signed for £4000 a week which I guess was a large amount for Deadly to lash out in those days! At least Cas can say we still sing a song about him! He had a brain tumour removed last summer but has fully recovered. I wish him well.
I wish I could remember!

How is he these days mate.
He looked really well tbh Stu from the last time i seen him when he didn't look well at all he says he gets to Blackpool about 15 times a year lol they call him Blackpool Bill up there haha.

He looked really well tbh Stu from the last time i seen him when he didn't look well at all he says he gets to Blackpool about 15 times a year lol they call him Blackpool Bill up there haha.

That's good to hear Andy.

Remember queuing at Buckleys newsagents on Witton island as a kid to get the Argus, waiting for the delivery van to come flying down Witton Road and throw them out on the pavement.

Are they the ones at the old Saltley coke depot. How well I remember the punch up at the gates in 1972 during the miners strike.

No I think these are the ones in Rupert Street, Nechells, where I lived for 18 years and where my brother and I used to walk to the game via Avenue Road, Aston Road and then Park Road from Aston Cross to the hallowed ground. Then coming home stopping off at he chippy in Park Lane by Aston Cross....I would say good days and not particularly happy as I started going in 1963, so until we were in the 3rd division we'd didn't seem to win many games but oh how that changed!!