Aston Villa: Memory Lane | Page 43 | Vital Football

Aston Villa: Memory Lane

I remember that clearly , Argentina had just won the world cup and the hype surrounding the game was unbelievable. No one mentioned us and we turned up and pissed right on their parade.

Brilliant.

I remember that clearly , Argentina had just won the world cup and the hype surrounding the game was unbelievable. No one mentioned us and we turned up and pissed right on their parade.

Brilliant.
Had the privilege of a player’s comp ticket that night. For some reason, Spurs had a guy in a full astronaut outfit by the players tunnel! We murdered them 4-1,which was not in the script! Half way through the second half, there was an injury stoppage, and White Hart Lane went very quiet. The guy on my left, who had kicked virtually every ball, suddenly screamed out “ARDILES, YOU’RE ABOUT AS MUCH USE AS A GLASS EYE “. Several hundred heads turned and glared at us menacingly, particularly at the shouter, John “Budgie” Burridge! Great night. Happy days.

Had the privilege of a player’s comp ticket that night. For some reason, Spurs had a guy in a full astronaut outfit by the players tunnel! We murdered them 4-1,which was not in the script! Half way through the second half, there was an injury stoppage, and White Hart Lane went very quiet. The guy on my left, who had kicked virtually every ball, suddenly screamed out “ARDILES, YOU’RE ABOUT AS MUCH USE AS A GLASS EYE “. Several hundred heads turned and glared at us menacingly, particularly at the shouter, John “Budgie” Burridge! Great night. Happy days.
GP&U - magnificent recollections, just so good to read about. Not sure why I missed that game, quite possibly due to certain previous visits to London grounds having been somewhat life threatening. What I do remember is being ecstatically happy at the result. The 1978 WC was manipulated and the best team came second.

Please excuse this bit of self-indulgence on my behalf but I was sorting through some old photos and came across these of a great day out meeting some of my heroes (Big Dion & Hadji) and even the Fear sat next to me at a meal in Villa Park!

Although I made such an impression on him he forgot all about it when I mentioned it to him recently.:lol:

In his defence (and mine!) he has a good excuse with all the brain ops the guy has had so I hope this helps you to remember mate what a great day out we all had at Bodymoor Heath in I think was 2002:thumbup:

I spent around 5 minutes on the touchline watching the player's train talking one-to-one with the late and wonderful man Mr Graham Taylor and I can still clearly remember leaving his presence feeling like I was one of the most important people in the world and I think that shows with my smile in the photo:grinning:..........UTV:utv::utv:

img004.jpgimg005.jpgimg007.jpgimg006.jpgimg009.jpg

Last edited:
Brilliant! I remember the start of the day, in the players restaurant, and the training part (as you say, GT, total gent) but I have no recollection at all of the meal etc.

As you say, the brain aches do account for an awful lot of memory erased! lol

My dad says a lot of the attendances back then you could add 5/10k minimum. You would slip the gatekeeper an extra 50p and the lad go in for nothing. Replicate that a few thousand times and you realise sometimes why are you so bloody packed on the Holte ?

Yep. I heard from "one that was there" that he was told that the record attendance at VP in 1946 (76,588) was in fact made up and that the real figure was probably over 80,000.

Great thread BTW. "The Chronicler"

I know he was due to go over to the dark side in Small Heath but what would we have done with Sir Brian in our title winning season? Would Gary Shaw have been so involved or who else would have been dropped to include both? Would we still have won the title or won it earlier? For us oldies great discussions without any answers?
As an aside, although not seen him in a couple of months, I used to see Colin Gibson in and around Boldmere and have to say that fine crop of hair is no longer visible......happens to us all I suppose!!

I know he was due to go over to the dark side in Small Heath but what would we have done with Sir Brian in our title winning season? Would Gary Shaw have been so involved or who else would have been dropped to include both? Would we still have won the title or won it earlier? For us oldies great discussions without any answers?
As an aside, although not seen him in a couple of months, I used to see Colin Gibson in and around Boldmere and have to say that fine crop of hair is no longer visible......happens to us all I suppose!!

I must be lucky because I've still got a full head of hair!