Aston Villa: Memory Lane | Page 14 | Vital Football

Aston Villa: Memory Lane

Those magic days of the 70's are why many of us are still here, spending our time fretting about the club we've come to love and hoping that the good times will return.

What saddens me is what does a 9 year old boy/girl on their first trips to Villa Park have to latch onto for the past ten years?:shake:

Here's something from my very first days as an 8 year old Villa fan, my first game at Villa Park was the return leg. Never to be forgotten. One of my first heroes was Chico Hamilton; check out the moment around 1 min 23 secs where he completely bamboozles George Best. Although I only saw it on TV, that moment has stayed in my memory ever since.

The whole video is brilliant but 1min23, well I imagine Chico remembers that moment to this day. But he and Willie were really some players weren't they.

Went home and away and fantastic memories forever! The ecstasy of winning though did not negate the fact of what an awesome footballer was George Best. I hope I’m forgiven for this, but he was way above any player I’ve ever seen and you can only wonder at what his value would be today.

As a very young nipper, Tony Hateley was my first Villa hero and I was absolutely gutted when he left for Chelsea.

Too true. His 84 goals in 3 seasons together with Colin Withers’ heroics in goal were the main reason we held on to our First Division place in the early/mid 60’s. The lack of recognition of this fact by the club on his passing was an absolute disgrace. Greatest memory was witnessing his 4 goals at WHL v Spurs in the famous 5-5 draw. True Villa legend.

Tony was a powerhouse in the air.he thrived at villa because he had two wingers to supply the crosses.johnny McLeod often put goals on plate for tony.harry burrows was a different kettle of fish,he drove crosses rather than the cleverness of Johnny so scored less goals from Harry's left flank.our dopey board sold Harry to Stoke for a pittance.i remember Harry scoring Stokes' winner at villa park, Argus headline read villa wild about Harry.

As a very young nipper, Tony Hateley was my first Villa hero and I was absolutely gutted when he left for Chelsea.
My first hero too, "Big Tone" as he was known. Not the greatest on the deck but boy could he head a ball. We would have been relegated a year or two earlier if not for him, a legend indeed!!!

Too true. His 84 goals in 3 seasons together with Colin Withers’ heroics in goal were the main reason we held on to our First Division place in the early/mid 60’s. The lack of recognition of this fact by the club on his passing was an absolute disgrace. Greatest memory was witnessing his 4 goals at WHL v Spurs in the famous 5-5 draw. True Villa legend.
Alan Deakin (r.i.p) went round the spurs keeper and mishit his shot with the goal gaping,6-5 would have gone into the history books

Train broke down on way to Burnley had to get off don’t remember much else. Except .......There was only a few of us stood on the side by the corner flag. When big tone unleashed a rocket into the net from outside the box. We all said “and they say he can’t use his feet “ .
He had a chant and a song.
At corners Hateley Hateley Hateley .....
Song
Tony Tony give us a goal
Give us a goal give us goal
Tony Tony give us a goal
Give us a goal Tony
And he did.

All clubs had two wingers in those days

Memories, memories. I was 10 at the time and my brother, who was 18, had taken me to the Blues, always supporting the away team mind you. They were playing Bolton and Franny Lee, before he became famous with Man City and Derby, got the only goal. For those who remember the old manual scoreboards at half time and waiting expectantly for Villa's score to come up, the disappointment in seeing the 4 in the top slot and 1 in the bottom was painful. Onto full time a 5 appeared in the top slot, not too much of a hammering then we thought, then it took an age for the bottom number, a 5, to come up. To a man everyone around looked puzzled and it wasn't till we had confirmation on our transistor radio walking home did we believe it......surreal is not the word........a great memory.

Erika Roe, Famous for that famous Twickenham streak is actually an Aston Villa fan!

However, not as famous though as our Holte End Barabra,Topless-streaker-Erica-Roe-is-covered-up-by-police.jpg it's best I leave talking about her here!

Last edited: