Aston Villa: Memory Lane | Page 13 | Vital Football

Aston Villa: Memory Lane

Remember this one? I drove a dodgy Hillman Imp at the time and the cylinder head gasket blew as we got in to Leicester. The thing to do was to keep the engine going and get to help as soon as possible. So obviously we parked up and went to the game! Amazingly it started up afterwards and got us home.

I do, Villa in every end of the ground

There were a few tasty games at Leicester around that time. At the one they completely underestimated the number of Villa fans that would come to the game and we had the small corner at the opposite end to the home end. It quickly filled up so they were taking supporters down the touchline and putting them in to a section on the left of the home supporters. So the segregation was minimal.

I don't remember much about the game and the result in truth. But in the second half all hell let loose and there was major trouble on the terraces. The Villa supporters basically demolished a refreshment stall at the back of the terraces and were using it for projectiles. I remember one piece of wood that took 3 hefty blokes to lob it over the fence at the Leicester supporters.

That night I went out with a guy called Mark McGuinness who worked in the ticket office. We were in a club in town and met up with Gary Shaw. He was saying how difficult it had been to play with all that going on. And you trying telling the kids of today.

Always trouble at Leicester and many years ago after a game at Filbert Street I got separated from my mates outside the ground and on the way back to the railway station by myself a large group of Leicester fans somehow sussed me out and chased me for what seemed like bloody miles straight into the entrance at Leicester station to be greeted by hundreds of Villa fans waiting outside who immediately could see what was happening and charged the Leicester fans who ended up getting completely battered!

Last edited:
Loved that goal at Everton by Tony Morley. I was ducking as the shot was going straight at my head.

Great day at Leicester as well the atmosphere was electric I also backed aldanitI to win the grand national on the same day so I was on heaven.

My favourite goal that season and probably ever is sir deneisse at home v Liverpool. The ball never left the ground from the time the move started by our corner flag.

Always trouble at Leicester and many years ago after a game at Filbert Street I got separated from my mates outside the ground and on the way back to the railway station by myself a large group of Leicester fans somehow sussed me out and chased me for what seemed like bloody miles straight into the entrance at Leicester station to be greeted by hundreds of Villa fans waiting outside who immediately could see what was happening and charged the Leicester fans who ended up getting completely battered!
One of my mates at that time supported Liverpool. If he got in that situation he would find the nearest shop and buy a loaf of bread. Everybody assumed he was a local!

One of my mates at that time supported Liverpool. If he got in that situation he would find the nearest shop and buy a loaf of bread. Everybody assumed he was a local!

I had the same thing at Arsenal after the game when we won the league - Just me and my mate and a large group of them down the road walking towards us near where the Villa coaches were apparently parked.

They were just picking off ones and two's only. I said to my mate just follow me and we walked up a small path to a door and knocked on it and thank god no one answered it as they walked past and saved us getting a kicking I'm sure!

Football was a scary place in those days and I'm glad it's more or less changed now where people don't have to go through that sort of nasty business.

Loved that goal at Everton by Tony Morley. I was ducking as the shot was going straight at my head.

Great day at Leicester as well the atmosphere was electric I also backed aldanitI to win the grand national on the same day so I was on heaven.

My favourite goal that season and probably ever is sir deneisse at home v Liverpool. The ball never left the ground from the time the move started by our corner flag.

Is this the one SD? it also is another of my all-time favourite Villa goals and I swear the roar from the Holte End when the ball hit the back of the Liverpool net was the loudest roar I have ever heard from the Holte.

Cheers TH. I was on my mobile when I posted that so couldn't upload the clip. What a goal and yes the noise was incredible.

Is this the one SD? it also is another of my all-time favourite Villa goals and I swear the roar from the Holte End when the ball hit the back of the Liverpool net was the loudest roar I have ever heard from the Holte.

Just unforgettable eh! Magic magic match, magic players. Still reckon the noise levels are matched by the likes of Lochhead winner against Bournemouth in 1972 and McMahon winner against Utd in 1970.
Lochhead against Bournemouth just will never be beaten.

Just unforgettable eh! Magic magic match, magic players. Still reckon the noise levels are matched by the likes of Lochhead winner against Bournemouth in 1972 and McMahon winner against Utd in 1970.
Lochhead against Bournemouth just will never be beaten.

I was at all 3 games so great memories and yes, ALL very loud!

Funny thing about that Bournemouth game was I didn't have a clue that only two and a bit years into the future I would be moving to Bournemouth to spend the next 34 years of my life generally very happy living all over the town and also Poole where I fell in love with Poole Pirates Speedway and I still get very passionate when they are on the TV etc!

I was at all 3 games so great memories and yes, ALL very loud!

Funny thing about that Bournemouth game was I didn't have a clue that only two and a bit years into the future I would be moving to Bournemouth to spend the next 34 years of my life generally very happy living all over the town and also Poole where I fell in love with Poole Pirates Speedway and I still get very passionate when they are on the TV etc!
You know, when I watch those games, those goals on youtube [amazing eh?] it just brings tears to my eyes every time, without fail.

So so true .... when I was a young 'lad' I would dream the night before a game, the dream might be, for example, of standing in the Holte End, the ref blowing for a foul within 25 yards of the goal, then seeing Bruce Rioch lining up a shot.
Actually, the dream would always include getting through the turnstiles and then climbing all those steps up to the top of the Holte and seeing Villa Park in all its glory. The hope, excitement, expectation levels went off the scale.
What price a Willie Anderson, Chico Hamilton and onwards to Brian Little, Andy Gray, Dennis Mortimer etc these days.
Thing is ... you had to be there to see them, no alternative, it was a real experience.

Those magic days of the 70's are why many of us are still here, spending our time fretting about the club we've come to love and hoping that the good times will return.

What saddens me is what does a 9 year old boy/girl on their first trips to Villa Park have to latch onto for the past ten years?:shake:

Here's something from my very first days as an 8 year old Villa fan, my first game at Villa Park was the return leg. Never to be forgotten. One of my first heroes was Chico Hamilton; check out the moment around 1 min 23 secs where he completely bamboozles George Best. Although I only saw it on TV, that moment has stayed in my memory ever since.

Willie Anderson was my hero in those days. Got the cane for scratching his name on my school desk with a compass (remember them?) and almost permanent detention for refusing to get rid of the look-a-like sideburns that took me weeks to grow. Hang on, wonder if I could sue the school for child abuse for millions. Might make a dent in my overdraft!! Also got 100 lines once when I was asked to give the two most important years in British history. Think the answer they wanted was 1918 & 1945 not 1897 & 1957.......

Willie Anderson was my hero in those days. Got the cane for scratching his name on my school desk with a compass (remember them?) and almost permanent detention for refusing to get rid of the look-a-like sideburns that took me weeks to grow. Hang on, wonder if I could sue the school for child abuse for millions. Might make a dent in my overdraft!! Also got 100 lines once when I was asked to give the two most important years in British history. Think the answer they wanted was 1918 & 1945 not 1897 & 1957.......
The cane, wow that brings back memories. Do you remember those wood backed board rubbers that would be hurled across the class room by the nutty teacher who had a temper like thunder? My 1st year of senior school there was a Welsh fella who was radio rental and he would throw the board rubber at anyone messing about.

Those magic days of the 70's are why many of us are still here, spending our time fretting about the club we've come to love and hoping that the good times will return.

What saddens me is what does a 9 year old boy/girl on their first trips to Villa Park have to latch onto for the past ten years?:shake:

Here's something from my very first days as an 8 year old Villa fan, my first game at Villa Park was the return leg. Never to be forgotten. One of my first heroes was Chico Hamilton; check out the moment around 1 min 23 secs where he completely bamboozles George Best. Although I only saw it on TV, that moment has stayed in my memory ever since.

Dad took me to the second leg at VP. I was 12. What an atmosphere. I didn't see much of the game as it was so packed and I was only little! We got tickets for the final against Spurs which was an incredible effort by the Villa faithful. Was that the first appearance of Godzvilla?

The cane, wow that brings back memories. Do you remember those wood backed board rubbers that would be hurled across the class room by the nutty teacher who had a temper like thunder? My 1st year of senior school there was a Welsh fella who was radio rental and he would throw the board rubber at anyone messing about.
God, yes, we had a crackpot,too, who would hurl the thing indiscriminately - wonder he never severely injured anyone. He would also rub chalk into the soft bit and then pat it onto the head of some poor sod who crossed him so that they resembled Mark Hughes in a snowstorm. Sadist.

Magic that game at Utd - imagine it, Villa, 3rd division, going to Old Trafford and their world famous superstars, I was 14 and was at that game and it is to this day truly impossible to find words to convey the emotions of that night. Indelible memories, truly heroic performances from the Villa players ... and as for the 2'nd leg, well ....... historic