Aston Villa: Memory Lane | Page 108 | Vital Football

Aston Villa: Memory Lane

That blose team were up there with Wimbledon for being a bunch of thugs, unfortunately they dragged you down to their level at times

Yes, they were a team filled with well-known thugs in professorial football much to the delight of the lowlife Neandertals on the Sty terraces who felt they reflected how hard they were which just about sums up how delusional they were and laughably, still are.

Bouma must have had one of the biggest turnarounds in form and popularity from any Villa player. In his first season under O'Dreary he looked awful and got loads of stick from the fans, 2nd season MON came in and he looked a completely different player - solid as a rock.
Still mystifies my somewhat to this day. I was well aware of Bouma from a combination of Eurosport and Championship Manager. I thought we were getting a player who was really good going forward because he scored a few goals for PSV and was deployed as a winger for a while.

He always looked dreadful on the ball to me but in fairness he became a very solid defensive fullback after a poor start.

Bouma must have had one of the biggest turnarounds in form and popularity from any Villa player. In his first season under O'Dreary he looked awful and got loads of stick from the fans, 2nd season MON came in and he looked a completely different player - solid as a rock.

He went on to play for several more years in Holland with PSV and got a recall to the national team all the while we were watching Warnock then Bennett struggle. Never understood why we didn't at least offer him a year or 2 after he'd recovered.

It is time to start the Memory Lane celebrations of one of the greatest days in our illustrious clubs history. This weekend will mark the 40 years anniversary of us winning the First Division title. I was there under the clock at Highbury for one of the biggest roller coaster rides of my life with me reduced to tears and sitting down on the terraces when we were two-nil down and then leaping around like a lunatic when the radio news come through that Saint Bosco had scored twice to condemn Ipswich to a defeat. It should never be forgotten that Arsenal were pushing for runner up so they had something to play for.
For those of you old enough to reminisce take a look at

It is time to start the Memory Lane celebrations of one of the greatest days in our illustrious clubs history. This weekend will mark the 40 years anniversary of us winning the First Division title. I was there under the clock at Highbury for one of the biggest roller coaster rides of my life with me reduced to tears and sitting down on the terraces when we were two-nil down and then leaping around like a lunatic when the radio news come through that Saint Bosco had scored twice to condemn Ipswich to a defeat. It should never be forgotten that Arsenal were pushing for runner up so they had something to play for.

I still have my ticket.

Will never forget those reports coming through and the fans reaction to them, as we all realised it was still on.

I still have my ticket.
I mislaid mine when we moved house 😢
Sad I know but the memories of that season and that day will stay with me until I join the Holte Enders in the Sky.
There were loads of Villa cars coming back up the M1 with scarves and people hanging out of the windows. We had all the windows wound down and we had "We are the Champions" by Queen blasting out of the stereo and us singing it to every car that we went past.
What a day! Sadly two of our party are no longer with us and I will look skywards at 5:00pm on Sunday to acknowledge them as Holte Enders in the Sky.