Aston Villa: Memory Lane | Page 104 | Vital Football

Aston Villa: Memory Lane

Even if we win the FA Cup now it isn't the same.
As a kid you would watch the whole morning/afternoon of build-up to the final kick-off. It was a huge thing and we will never get that now.

BUT what a team to support we had. It's the only missing piece and to see them go from 3rd division to European Cup winners as a child to teenager was unbeatable!

yes ,the lads are playing well, a massive improvement, when i look the results up on google, i do it very slowly ,because if they lose i am a miserable sod and like it all weekend, but ive supported them well over 60 years and will never give up, when they played in the old third division i went to see them play oxford and big ron atkinson played full back for them, take care seanie

hi everyone, i still remember,when i was living in heathfield road, mum had separated from dad and we were living in an upstairs flat, i nipped up to the stork pub for a packet of fags, and the doog serve me. he didnt charge me the full amount, i was over the moon for seeing my hero, even now when i remember how he played against spurs (Dave mckay team),it was without doubt the best display from a centre forward i can remember, seanie

hi everyone, i still remember,when i was living in heathfield road, mum had separated from dad and we were living in an upstairs flat, i nipped up to the stork pub for a packet of fags, and the doog serve me. he didnt charge me the full amount, i was over the moon for seeing my hero, even now when i remember how he played against spurs (Dave mckay team),it was without doubt the best display from a centre forward i can remember, seanie
Yes Seanie,the Dood was a character and a half. Was that Spurs game a 2-1 win? Spurs went 1 up,Jimmy Greaves was one on one with our keeper(was it Simms or Sidebottom?) ,but his shot was parried and Terry Medwin found the empty net too inviting to miss. 1-0 half time but we were right in it. Second half,a fierce game,pacey football . Was it just after the hour? A Villa free kick wide left . Harry Burrows sends over a beauty. Derek out muscles centre half Norman and his header powers past Brown. 1-1. All to play for,Spurs the media darlings stay calm playing their usual brand of cultured football. Minutes tick away and Villa get another free kick in the same spot as Harry's previous gem of a cross. Another howitzer soars into the Spurs box. The pace of Harry's free kick consigns keeper Brown to his line. Lightning doesn't strike twice? It did that balmy autumnal night. Dog sees off Norman agaiñ . Villa Park,packed to the rafters goes f-----g mental. But wait,the idiot ref has ordered the cree kick to be retaken. 50 odd plus thousand Villsns are cursing. Harry crosses again, another beauty,too pacey and accurate for keeper Brown to risk coming off his line. Derek Dougan versus Maurice Norman,take 3. The Doog climbs like a salmon, the ball flashes into the net 2-1 to the Villa. Great night,great game,great memories.

Hi seanie, you and JP might find this link interesting.
I remember as a teenager going in either the Stork or the pub just down the road, and the place was packed, nearly all Irish. I remember the collecting tin coming round and everybody stopping talking to look at me and my mate to see if we would contribute. Think they were on the wind up, but never sure.
It mentions the Doog.
Loved his haircut by the way.
The Stork | Birmingham History Forum
birminghamhistory.co.uk › ... › Pubs

Reading yesterdays' posts about 'The Doog' reminds me of the reliable story I heard when I was a youngster.

That being the time he leapt (like a salmon) over an Austin Mini for a bet in the Villa Players car park.

Hi seanie, you and JP might find this link interesting.
I remember as a teenager going in either the Stork or the pub just down the road, and the place was packed, nearly all Irish. I remember the collecting tin coming round and everybody stopping talking to look at me and my mate to see if we would contribute. Think they were on the wind up, but never sure.
It mentions the Doog.
Loved his haircut by the way.
The Stork | Birmingham History Forum
birminghamhistory.co.uk › ... › Pubs
We lived in Frederick Road,next to the Bakery. Mom worked at the Bakery,literally next door. Dad took great delight telling all and sundry that Mom was always late for work. God knows how we won the war. Myself,sister Carol and brother Chris all learned to walk in Aston Park. Dads local was the Guild which he told us was known as the rat pan. In the mid fifties,we fell into a fortune and moved to Balsall Heath. So we missed out on attending the Sacred Heart school.

thanks lads, me dad made me go to brooklyn tech for another year of schooling,one of the lads there i think was called allsop ,he lived in handsworth, he got me playing for the boys brigade handsworth i played cf and they called me the doog, was i proud or what,but they got to the cup final at villa park and of course i missed out, because i never went to the classes. 2of the lads were gary pendry and the other was caldicott i think he played for the aston boys i ended up playing for the mighty florida from the holte in my mid 30s, i played for loads of teams for the love of it and not for money take care seanie