Aston Villa: Memory Lane | Page 103 | Vital Football

Aston Villa: Memory Lane

My first Villa hero, scored with a lovely diving header on my first visit to VP.
Was absolutely gutted when he did his knee, never got anywhere near the same level when he tried to come back from it.
Another Brummie shining star. Met Gary a couple of times,both at charity games. Down to earth, no airs and graces. One England cap,one more than Sir Dennis,disgraceful.

Another Brummie shining star. Met Gary a couple of times,both at charity games. Down to earth, no airs and graces. One England cap,one more than Sir Dennis,disgraceful.
Just checked Gary's career stats and he didn't get a single full cap. Appalling treatment as London players were handed caps like confetti. Gary Mabbut, decent player,left The Gas and a few Plus ca change,weeks later was an England international. Around that time, the two best midfielders in the country were Sid and Robson at the Baggies. The Meaning Evil actually started a campaign to get them selected. Jack is the latest example of how unfashionable we Midlands Cubs are viewed. Plus ca change,plus ca meme.

I played cricket against Gary Shaw when he was 17 , even then there was a fair bit of hype about him. I later got to know him when I was on the staff at Warwickshire and he sometimes went out to Liberty's with some of the players (I won't mention names lol)

Great player , clever and quick over 5 yards, really he got kicked out of the game.

I played cricket against Gary Shaw when he was 17 , even then there was a fair bit of hype about him. I later got to know him when I was on the staff at Warwickshire and he sometimes went out to Liberty's with some of the players (I won't mention names lol)

Great player , clever and quick over 5 yards, really he got kicked out of the game.
HAHA I seen him in Liberty's one night pissed out of his head on crutches

He went into the brewery trade but didn't last long. Spoke to his boss about why he'd gone and was shocked to hear the reason.

I once spoke to Gary Shaw about that game . He told me to look at what Peter Withe did to their centre half when Shaw scored the first goal. He completely smashed his nose with an elbow..

Haha. Just looked again and you can just see it happen before the camera pans away. Completely lays him out with that one

Nice bloke Chinny
Nephew did History at Birmingham university and said he was pleasantly surprised to get his degree as most tutorials were more about the Villa. Met Carl at a protest meeting about Doug and he was a gent. Never thought I'd meet anyone who knew more about the Villa than my mate Ronnie but the Professor was walking encyclopaedia (TF for predictive text).

i still remember as a 10 year old boy watching the 57 cup final upstairs in the guild pub witton road, it was out of this world, i was friends with the landlords son and we would practise on the bowling green at the back, in secret i also loved playing for the sacred heart school. they called us the scraggy heart rangers,or something like that, one near miss i had was when mushy callaghan the caretaker chased us of the pitch one day,it was a very luck escape. seanie ward (i was known as john back then .i am now living in kerry ireland but thinking of coming back to the midlands, if things get back to normal

i still remember as a 10 year old boy watching the 57 cup final upstairs in the guild pub witton road, it was out of this world, i was friends with the landlords son and we would practise on the bowling green at the back, in secret i also loved playing for the sacred heart school. they called us the scraggy heart rangers,or something like that, one near miss i had was when mushy callaghan the caretaker chased us of the pitch one day,it was a very luck escape. seanie ward (i was known as john back then .i am now living in kerry ireland but thinking of coming back to the midlands, if things get back to normal
Welcome seanie. I was only 6 and too young to remember it.
I have a dreadful feeling it will be the only cup I dont get to see them win, and have given up after our no show in the finals against Chelsea and Arsenal.

Welcome seanie,

I'd only just turned 4 years old so sadly I have no memories of the 57 Cup Final.

I also went to the Sacred Heart, and was also chased out of the ground by Mush Callaghan who lived in that cottage next to the old indoor training room.

All the Irish used the "Guild Pub" and you could guarantee a big punch up between themselves on Friday nights outside!

UTV.

Last edited: