Aston Villa: Memory Lane | Page 102 | Vital Football

Aston Villa: Memory Lane

Hoping someone can advise me here chaps: My Dad passed away last week. He was born and raised in Aston until bombed out in WW2. He followed the Villa from childhood - crawling under turnstiles as a kid. His Dad was sometime signal man at Aston station and apparently wore a claret and blue suit on Saturday nights. My Dad asked me only two things for his funeral - to have a Louis Armstrong tune and to finish the eulogy with 'Up The Villa'. I can't count the number of games we attended but they included four League Cup finals, promotion clinchers including Sheff Wed away. I'd love to mark his 93-year association with the club in some way but not sure what is the done thing... Any thoughts very welcome

I'm very sorry about the passing of your Dad my friend.

We must be near the same age as what you went through with the Villa and your Dad tends to mirror my own history.

Mike's suggestion above is about the best you could do at this difficult time.

Sincere condolences to you and all family and friends.

holte-enders-in-the-sky.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks - very true what you say. By the 80s I guess I was going more with mates but we still went together a lot. Including the Ipswich Monday night game in 81 when we were locked out and watched the first half from the hill in Aston Park. I had been to every game that season so that was very galling, especially as we lost. But he and I shared the momentous climb from Div 3 through the 70s - the highlight probably being the great 77 side with Sir Brian etc.
Sorry to hear your bad news mate.
Its a great thing that you and your Dad had that bond.
I dragged my Dad to a couple of games, but he never had any interest, despite both Grandads being big fans.
It would have given us both common ground like other members of this site have with their parents or children.

Really top player was Alex. Shame his Villa career was effectively ended by that Sandwell thug.

They seemed to be under orders from the manager at the time Ronnie Allen to go out and literally be brutal and to seriously kick anything near you in a Claret & Blue shirt.

Yes, it was a sickening tackle by thug Ally Brown that was so bad you could hear the crack in the stands.

No surprise the Stripy Filth fans cheered as Alex was carried off the pitch and later the lowlifes even developed a chant about the incident:"'Alex, Alex Crippley.' Cropley".

Yet another reason I hope they get relegated this season with hopefully the lowest ever league points.

Went on his Peaky Blinders tour last year , few days before the league cup final. Had a good chat. I mentioned Vital Villa but he said he couldn’t remember anyone called Jonathan Fear .

Anyway , when people arrived at The Old Crown pub where the tour started he asked them where they were from. At the start of the talk he gave a history of each place people were from and how the town or city was named. Brilliant.