Aston Villa: Memory Lane | Page 101 | Vital Football

Aston Villa: Memory Lane

One of my favourite all time Villa games. The noise when Sir Dennis scored. Dearie me.

I saw an interview with him where he said that as he ran onto the through ball with acres of space he knew with total certainty that Villa were winning the league.

I saw an interview with him where he said that as he ran onto the through ball with acres of space he knew with total certainty that Villa were winning the league.

Brilliant goal.

That was the game where we all started to think we could win the league . I remember coming away from the game and my Dad and Uncle saying they thought we would win it and all the talk around us was the same.

Brilliant goal.

That was the game where we all started to think we could win the league . I remember coming away from the game and my Dad and Uncle saying they thought we would win it and all the talk around us was the same.

He was and still is my mums favourite Villa player. So much so that my middle name was nearly Mortimer. However my dad was on middle name duties and I got stuck with Graham.

Brilliant goal.

It was the Man City home game for me when I thought fuck we just might win this.

He was and still is my mums favourite Villa player. So much so that my middle name was nearly Mortimer. However my dad was on middle name duties and I got stuck with Graham.
HAHA I think I would be furious with my Dad if he called me Graham :grinning:

Hoping someone can advise me here chaps: My Dad passed away last week. He was born and raised in Aston until bombed out in WW2. He followed the Villa from childhood - crawling under turnstiles as a kid. His Dad was sometime signal man at Aston station and apparently wore a claret and blue suit on Saturday nights. My Dad asked me only two things for his funeral - to have a Louis Armstrong tune and to finish the eulogy with 'Up The Villa'. I can't count the number of games we attended but they included four League Cup finals, promotion clinchers including Sheff Wed away. I'd love to mark his 93-year association with the club in some way but not sure what is the done thing... Any thoughts very welcome

Hoping someone can advise me here chaps: My Dad passed away last week. He was born and raised in Aston until bombed out in WW2. He followed the Villa from childhood - crawling under turnstiles as a kid. His Dad was sometime signal man at Aston station and apparently wore a claret and blue suit on Saturday nights. My Dad asked me only two things for his funeral - to have a Louis Armstrong tune and to finish the eulogy with 'Up The Villa'. I can't count the number of games we attended but they included four League Cup finals, promotion clinchers including Sheff Wed away. I'd love to mark his 93-year association with the club in some way but not sure what is the done thing... Any thoughts very welcome

Tear in my eye chap.....so sorry for your loss.
The love for a club....a proper one - when it's where you were born, your dad brings you into it as a child - It's a deep thing. Maybe as much as someone can love a partner.

At least you shared that with your dad. And just think of the glory times you shared through the 80s.

Tear in my eye chap.....so sorry for your loss.
The love for a club....a proper one - when it's where you were born, your dad brings you into it as a child - It's a deep thing. Maybe as much as someone can love a partner.

At least you shared that with your dad. And just think of the glory times you shared through the 80s.
Thanks - very true what you say. By the 80s I guess I was going more with mates but we still went together a lot. Including the Ipswich Monday night game in 81 when we were locked out and watched the first half from the hill in Aston Park. I had been to every game that season so that was very galling, especially as we lost. But he and I shared the momentous climb from Div 3 through the 70s - the highlight probably being the great 77 side with Sir Brian etc.

Thanks - very true what you say. By the 80s I guess I was going more with mates but we still went together a lot. Including the Ipswich Monday night game in 81 when we were locked out and watched the first half from the hill in Aston Park. I had been to every game that season so that was very galling, especially as we lost. But he and I shared the momentous climb from Div 3 through the 70s - the highlight probably being the great 77 side with Sir Brian etc.

I hold a bigger candle for that 70s team than the league/euro winners.
Weird isn't it....

Went to every game in that era....my memory of it was that we won every game 3-1 and had a goal disallowed....:clap: