Aston Villa match | Vital Football

Aston Villa match

dwdan

Vital Reserves Team
Sky reporting that Tammy Abraham has turned Wolves down and is set to stay at Villa. Not the best news for us. He’s scoring for fun and will be a handful on Saturday.

Window has been open a week and we are still no nearer to bringing in a left back. I dont think quick is in the new regimes vocabulary.

As I said on the other thread, looks like last minute shopping for bargain basement cast offs and over the top end of line players again.

I hope they prove me wrong.

Our defence has also been at sixes and sevens to be fair. We were woeful v Swansea and Smith hadn't fielded a weak side. Might be a wake up call which would cause you trouble, but we do seem to have totally lost our momentum, so better playing us now than a few weeks ago when Smith first came.

Our defence has also been at sixes and sevens to be fair. We were woeful v Swansea and Smith hadn't fielded a weak side. Might be a wake up call which would cause you trouble, but we do seem to have totally lost our momentum, so better playing us now than a few weeks ago when Smith first came.

I wouldn't be concerned. We are appalling at present and have only scored from open play in one game in over two months. We have no left back and no clue. Another 0-3 is on the cards.

"Anthony Pilkington has trained with us this week and he'll be coming straight into the team. We've needed a lift in our team lately and he's a great option and I'm delighted to have him here.

"We've also got Michael Jacobs back with us now and he'll be involved in the squad against Aston Villa.

"Add to that the fact that Nick Powell will be training on Monday and Gavin Massey isn't too far behind, there are signs of the rain stopping."

Latics will also be able to call upon captain Samy Morsy, who missed out on the Emirates FA Cup third round against West Bromwich Albion with a tight hamstring, and Darron Gibson, who was a late withdrawal from the team last weekend.

Whilst Villa are shaky at the back they are excellent going forward.
I fear a left sided onslaught coming towards the hapless Naismith should Cook be crazy/stupid/stubborn enough to again make that selection choice? which will then result in another loss - let’s hope not !

No left back, Pilkington isnt a left back. No decent solid defender, Pilkington isnt that. Not much choice at right of midfield, Pilkington isnt a right winger, Evans and Gibson aren't up to much really are they? Pilkington isnt a defensive midfielder. We have plenty strikers but Pilkington isnt a striker. He could boost the left wing but everyone has been crying out for Macca and there seems to be a love affair with Roberts so to give us a boost where is he going to play?

"Anthony Pilkington has trained with us this week and he'll be coming straight into the team. We've needed a lift in our team lately and he's a great option and I'm delighted to have him here.

"We've also got Michael Jacobs back with us now and he'll be involved in the squad against Aston Villa.

"Add to that the fact that Nick Powell will be training on Monday and Gavin Massey isn't too far behind, there are signs of the rain stopping."

Nice quote there LS... " there are signs of the rain stopping".....?
Lets hope it's followed by 'outbreaks of sunshine'(goals), some clear skies ahead( clean sheets) & a sunny forecast for the duration( long unbeaten run)

Jeffs Right said "No left back, Pilkington isnt a left back. "

I agree he isn't a left back Jeff but personally I wouldn't be totally surprised if Pilkington started left back for this game and maybe for the next few until Robinson is back (or until we sign an orthodox left back).
This Villa game is (for me) a free hit. If we lose, it will be no great surprise, they are a level above us even if we had a fully fit squad and whilst it would be great to put in a performance and brilliant to get something out of the game our season won't be defined by what happens tomorrow, it will be defined in the rematches against the likes of Millwall, Ipswich, Reading, Brentford, Preston and Bolton who we've already dropped points against.

A fairly upbeat and positive press conference from PC there.....hopefully he's right & we can get back on track to ' find our identity' as he says....UTFT.

You can still get on Villa at 6/5. Remarkable, it's akin to printing money.

I'd be careful there ........Leicester's games since Christmas week:

- Lost to Palace A
- Beat Chelsea A
- Beat City H
- Lost to Cardiff H
- Beat Everton A
and then (yes, I know the Cup's a touch different), lost to Newport.

The opposite results were probably odds-on in (almost) every instance.

Take it from me ........4-0 Tics.
:cool::cheers::smoke: