Aston Villa match | Page 5 | Vital Football

Aston Villa match

Very impressed with the football on offer today .... the suffering in the stands for the Christmas and New Year matches faded after 20 minutes.
Looked up at the clock and the team was still performing ... shocked !

Anthony Pilkington's debut for Wigan towering over the debut of Kortney Hause (hope he improves for his career's sake).

Manager Post match.
He has finally found his match tatics under his car seat and ditched the back of the fag packet stuff.

Gary Roberts ... and scores again from the right side.

Michael Jacobs ... back with a lovely header. Did the header remind anyone from an FA Cup match

https://www.skysports.com/watch/video/sports/football/11605729/wigan-3-0-aston-villa

One thing.
Anyone notice what Lee Evans has a tendency to do (when he has the opportunity to pass more than 10 yards) ?

I forgot to mention, I thought the Villa play acting in the first half was an absolute disgrace. I appreciate it was a little breezy but there was no excuse for going down like they had been shot. We'd still have been going now if Grealish was on. An absolute embarrassment as professionals. Pretty certain this was under the direction of Dean Smith given his Brentford team did similar when we played them earlier in the season - the game they got Morsy sent off which was later rescinded. Mccann looks a decent player but looked like he was under instruction to get a repeat. Not advocating a return to the 70's but in days gone by he would have had one left on him as a suggestion to cut it out.

I think you meant John McGinn cos they were my thoughts entirely. Although he changed his boots for some with studs in during the second half. Decent player though as you say.

I think you meant John McGinn cos they were my thoughts entirely. Although he changed his boots for some with studs in during the second half. Decent player though as you say.

Aye that's the fella. Decent player, doesn't need to resort to trying to get people sent off. Same goes for Villa as a whole, better club that shouldn't be resorting to such play acting.

Today the players put a real shift in from min 1, the fans responded and look what happens - special mentions for me to Jones - the shout to Kipre 2nd half to leave the ball was exactly what Walton does not do, Windass, Garner and Naismith - all except Jones have had pelters from me this season but today all had their best games for our club.
Really enjoyed " yr just a fat harry potter" and "up the Chinese tics"
Well deserved and a smiley Saturday night for a change

Their manager comes across as a bit of a dick in his interview. No credit given to us, just says that they played crap because it was stop start, we were time wasting and our second goal was just a long ball.

I thought the lads were brilliant today. Not a perfect display by any means, but a great improvement on recent months. The introduction of Pilkington has added a spark to the midfield, his control of the ball and pace set him out from the rest. The skill he showed to lose the defender for the first goal was top drawer and we have at last got someone who can provide a final ball after doing all the hard work. Great debut. Now lets get him match fit.

Michael Jacobs coming off the bench gave us another lift and to see him get a goal on his return was special. I hope that will be one of many before the end of this season. He looked sharp and fit, and his goal celebration says that he is definitely over the injury.

Jamie Jones proved once again that he is a decent keeper and not just there to warm the bench. I like Walton and think he will go on to be a top keeper but he needed to be rested, his confidence was shot and the difference Jones made showed. Apart from the misunderstanding with Kipre I thought he showed a lot of composure and a willingness to command his six yard box, something that was lacking in Walton of late. I hope he gets a decent run in the position for the next few games.

And now, my apologies to Hindley as I am no doubt going to upset him, I think Samy needs to speed up his release of the ball forward. ( Ducks and looks for hard hat). He had a terrific game today, breaking up play and shielding the back four but in my opinion he holds on to the ball too long at times and allows the opposition to get back into formation. I appreciate he is protecting the ball and holding on to possession but three or four times today the break was on and players in space and he slowed the tempo. If we are to win more games we need to get the ball forward quicker and this applies to Evans too although he did seem to be trying with cross field passes.

Grumble over, I thought that generally our play was a lot more like the early season stuff and we pressed them and got the mistakes out of them that led to the goals. If we continue in the same vein then we should have no problem staying safe. Hopefully in the near future PC will have a fully fit squad to pick from and then we will see if he is still the manager we thought he is.

Their manager comes across as a bit of a dick in his interview. No credit given to us, just says that they played crap because it was stop start, we were time wasting and our second goal was just a long ball.

He has always been a dick and will not last the course at Villa.

Today the players put a real shift in from min 1, the fans responded and look what happens - special mentions for me to Jones - the shout to Kipre 2nd half to leave the ball was exactly what Walton does not do, Windass, Garner and Naismith - all except Jones have had pelters from me this season but today all had their best games for our club.
Really enjoyed " yr just a fat harry potter" and "up the Chinese tics"
Well deserved and a smiley Saturday night for a change

Not to mention " salt and pepper tics, salt and pepper tics"...

Or "where's your Harry gone n where's your Harry gone??

Probably been sniffing the same glue as that Sunderland chairman.

As we've been pants for 3 months and lost by 3 goals in last 2 games. It was amazing to see us score 3 and 2 fm open play.
Given the above I was amazed to see Wigan fans leaving at 85 mins - wtf

That was exactly what we've all been looking for - back to what worked at the start on the season; attacking passing football - and it worked a treat.

Clearly something happen behind the scenes this week - Cooks interview about losing our identity and returning to what worked in the past and then the pre and post match interviews from some players all seem to be talking about getting back to the old us - it felt like they were all emphasising the same idea. Maybe they had a team meeting or something to hash things out or Cook just finally accepted he had to go back to plan A but whatever they did it worked well. It was us getting back to doing absolutely all of the things we seemed to have abandoned. The formation, how we played the ball out from the keeper, the double pivot being used properly again, using the counter attack, more movement, the high press, getting men forward in numbers, the bravery, intensity, aggression and heart etc it was the long overdue return of everything that saw us impress back in Aug and Sept. It was night and day to how we've been most weeks over the last 3 months.

I think there were some strong individual performances but I'm not sure loads of players were that amazing (everyone was good though) - which is strange as you would imagine everyone was playing the game of their life to get a result like that. But they all just looked like they knew what their jobs were again and all of them stuck to their role and the team functioned far greater than the sum of it's parts.

A couple of weeks ago we were discussing how few players were up to this level and how bad the summer signings were but today you would say when playing that system and that style rather than the negative hoof ball - they all look pretty good and some of the new signings adding something. Just goes to show how crucial tactics and systems can be to get the most out of a team.

I was stunned but delighted to see Jones in. Commanded his area well and used the ball much smarter that Walton - tried to set us off on quick counters from throw outs when possible and never pumped it needlessly under no pressure. Protected well today but made a big difference and set the tone playing out from the back.

Naismith good going forward and tries his best at defending but it's just not his natural instinct. I do think he's improving his defensive play but he's still not a safe bet as he does get caught out badly at times.

Kipre and Dunkley had one horror mistake each where they lost the ball that we got away with but were otherwise superb. Dominated the leagues top scorer Abraham and were very good at trying to play the ball out every chance they could. Seemed to be very intent on avoiding needless long balls and it allowed us to play out quite nicely. Surprisingly composed at times.

James is good most weeks but was superb today. Considering Bolasie was a 30m player a few years ago he had he completely in his back pocket. Superb tackle to recover what looked like it could've been a Villa one on one.

Morsy had to taper his game after an early yellow and McGuinn desperate to get him sent off but did very well walking the tightrope and coping with that. We were back to doing the double pivot with Evans properly and it made a huge difference in bring the ball out of defence.

Evans had his best game in months - back to being at the heart of what we were doing and got stuck in more than normal to compensate for Samy being unable to put strong challenges in. Our 2 def mids were really up for the battle today and they wont it decisively to help us control the game. Great cross for Jacobs header.

Gary Roberts never lets you down for effort and did well to set himself up in space to score the crucial goal. He's absolutely dead on his feet after half time as youd expect of a 34 year old who runs around that much but delivered a goal that will hopefully be the catalyst to kick start our season.

Pilkington looked a class act, his use of the ball and keeping possession were very impressive. Obviously tired in second half but great assist for our opening goal and strong debut. I think we've got a good one on first impression. I was delighted we got him and even happier now I've seen a glimpse of what he can do in a Latics shirt.

Windass takes a lot of stick and the majority is justified but there's no doubting he runs his arsed off all game, has great pace and isn't afraid to run with the ball. A superb save denied him a goal and he had his usual good and frustrating moments but he did cause them problem especially in that second half and won that penalty. He's a very frustrating player who needs to get some lessons from his Dad on how to back in and hold off challenges but i do think he has the raw tools to become a decent played if he can learn. He needs a lot of work but in a more passing side he looks a far better player. Today gave me some hope back in him.

Garner had by far his best game for us, he was very possibly man of the match! He was terrible for coming on the pitch and seeming hell bent on committing fouls on centre halfs or trying to get fouled himself regardless of where the ball was since he arrived. But he seems to have finally stopped trying to play the man every time and is now playing the ball and he looks like a different player. He was every bit as rough and aggressive but it was more controlled and channelled into his actual play rather than just off the ball s--- housing. He was superb at winning the headers and pressuring their defenders into mistakes. We didn't do many long balls but the one's we did Garner made a lot out of and won a lot of flick ons for his team mates. His physical presence up front made a huge difference and just like Vaughan did against Blackburn it made everything come together. Very impressed with him today - he looked like a new signing with how much he had improved.

It was brilliant to see Jacobs back and he looked really sharp and dangerous. Great goal and really added a lot to our overall play.

Byrne was very good when he came on used the ball well and worked his socks off. He is a very good footballer he's just not got that killer instinct to damage teams as a winger but he really did well today in midfield without posing much direct threat himself.

Vaughan just came on like his usual bull in a China shop self - chasing everything and got stuck in. Wasn't on enough to really make an impact but carried on keeping the pressure on the Villa defence after Garner went off.

Think leaving Grigg on the bench was a bit ominous. Cooks interview the other day stopped short of really telling Sunderland to get lost it seemed like he was leaving a bit of a back door to potentially sell him later in the window. We might not have seen the last of that story.

Overall it was probably the most complete performance of the season. Against Sheff Wed and Forest we were breathtaking at times but had mistakes at the back, and in most of our wins we've had a strong game but been pushed back really hard and clinging on a bit at the end. But today we were the better team from start to finish and were largely in control and composed throughout. We really needed something and we finally got it. It should be a huge boost in confidence and a reminder to the management team and players that there is nothing to fear in this league if you don't defeat yourself by thinking we aren't capable of competing with the big names and are willing to go a genuine go.

I was a very big Cook fan at the start of the season but I was so disappointed with the changes he made to our approach and the terrible run and deterioration into Joyce style hoof ball had caused me to lose confidence and hope in him - but today was the old Paul Cook and Wigan style we all know and love back. That's all we wanted if we'd have played like that but lost 1-0 you would be gutted but you couldn't be upset with the way we went at them and set up our team. We did that against Blackburn and the next game it went back to being negative again, we did that in the first half against Swansea then managed to cock it up by going back negative again. I'm hoping this isn't another flash in the pan or false dawn and the penny has genuinely finally dropped - no matter if Grigg, Jacobs, Massey and Powell are fit to start or not we go with Plan A and consign the hoof ball plan B that lead us into a mess to the bin forever never to return. If we'd have played those tactics every week all season we'd comfortably be in the top half of the table and very likely put the dodgy teams like Ipswich, QPR, Preston, Millwall, Bolton, Reading to the sword and I think we'd also have gotten points off Norwich, Boro and maybe a couple of others too. We are a decent team if we play to our strengths and our system is good when we use it - let's just keep this going for the rest of the season.

Last edited: