Aston Villa-Manchester City Premier League Post Match Thread | Page 3 | Vital Football

Aston Villa-Manchester City Premier League Post Match Thread

Mahrez’s first goal yesterday was reminiscent of Sané at his incisive best. Direct running and with end product. I have been one of his harshest critics often for his selfishness and poor decision making where he favoured his 20% chance of scoring over an 80% chance for a team mate in a better position.

Whilst he clearly hasn’t rid himself of that trait (witness his ignoring Sergio to his right on the break from the Villa corner in the first half) but when he was gifted the ball by the Villa defender in the second his decision to pass to Sergio (thus setting up his record breaking hat trick) was the right one - often he uses the runs of other players to try and carve out a shooting chance for himself and, being himself on a hat trick, I was surprised & pleased that he chose to pass.

So......well done Riyad. :clap: Now keep it up.

(Interestingly, Sergio can be seen questioning Mahrez as they go off at half time as to why he didn’t make that pass and in their post match interview he also mentions “all depends on my team mate [indicates Mahrez standing next to him] he passes to me”.......methinks the players are aware of Mahrez’s tendency also.....🤔)

Last edited:
Micah Richards on MotD2.....

I actually set up his first goal for City, on his debut against Swansea, with a cross that he turned in at the far post - and he has obviously scored quite a few more like that since.”
......tongue in cheek,he called that pass “De Bruyne-like” 🤣🤣🤣

It’s a bit hard to have a lot of confidence in Rodney yet, but he does seem to have improved his attitude re being a team man.