Aston Villa Celebrations | Page 3 | Vital Football

Aston Villa Celebrations

So you think it's OK for them to celebrate being 17th in the premiershit because it's the top division? I know your judgement is impaired but FFS, claiming they are entitled to celebrate finishing above umpteen other teams who aren't even in their division almost takes the biscuit.

I think it comes down to expectation and therefore what your targets are.

If you went into the season expecting relegation to be a strong possibility then avoiding relegation is a form of success. There is no reason why celebrating success is a bad thing.

If you went into the season expecting a respectable mid table finish and only just avoided relegation then you've had a poor season and failed to hit expectations. In such a case celebrating under achieving is wierd.

As per my other posts, I think Villa has largely a Championship quality side with a couple of decent players like Mings and Heaton and one potential wonderkid in Grealish (who struggled in a struggling team)

Compared with Spurs who has a squad of players who reached the Champions League final the prior season then the way they celebrated for only finishing in the Europa Cup spots is weird. I can understand Mourinho to an extent as they were in 14th when he took over so getting them up to 6th is a personal achievement. However, his celebrations looked as cringey as hell.

17 games in the championship where he was a key part of the defence and was known to fit in. Prior to that, he had only played the equivalent of a dozen games in the prior (I think) 4 seasons. He was generally untested as a premier league player prior to this season.

And in the grand scheme of things, £27m is not a huge fee, especially when compared with the £80m Man United signed Maguire for.

They paid a "large" amount for a couple of players and largely supplemented a championship side with a couple of people who'd played in the Premier League and a bunch of people who had hardly set the Belgian and Turkish leagues alight.

But as a club they still spent £140m, one of the biggest spenders last summer. How and who they spent it on is another matter. Having spent £140m quid I'd wager the owners would be expecting better than 4th from bottom.

But as a club they still spent £140m, one of the biggest spenders last summer. How and who they spent it on is another matter. Having spent £140m quid I'd wager the owners would be expecting better than 4th from bottom.
At the start of the post lockdown part of the season they were 7 points away from safety. To come back and survive after that is defintiely a good achievement. Sorry but to suggest only the winners of the league can celebrate and not those who finish 17th after being miles behind at one point is bonkers.

Its all about expectations. If you exceed expectations then you deserve to celebrate. Villa maybe didnt exceed expectations after spending so much last summer, but they certainly pulled it back round after being nearly down and out during lockdown. Thats worth celebrating IMO.

So you think it's OK for them to celebrate being 17th in the premiershit because it's the top division? I know your judgement is impaired but FFS, claiming they are entitled to celebrate finishing above umpteen other teams who aren't even in their division almost takes the biscuit.
You still arent answering the questions. You dont seem to understand how this debating thing works, do you? Answering questions with questions is not how its done.

Feel free to ignore me again and just tell me my 'judgement is impaired' again though, without actually offering a counterpoint. Maybe just swear at me again instead. 'FFS' good debating!

At the start of the post lockdown part of the season they were 7 points away from safety. To come back and survive after that is defintiely a good achievement. Sorry but to suggest only the winners of the league can celebrate and not those who finish 17th after being miles behind at one point is bonkers.

Its all about expectations. If you exceed expectations then you deserve to celebrate. Villa maybe didnt exceed expectations after spending so much last summer, but they certainly pulled it back round after being nearly down and out during lockdown. Thats worth celebrating IMO.

Or you could argue that they under achieved pre lockdown and only pulled their fingers out their arses post lockdown. What's to celebrate under achieving for 2/3 of the season. They spent £140m and finished 13 points above Norwich and 19 behind Sheffield United both of whom spent very little in comparison. On that basis their £140m was either poorly spent or they under achieved, so nothing to celebrate IMO, other than the fact the players all probably had big pay reduction clauses in their contracts.

Compared with Spurs who has a squad of players who reached the Champions League final the prior season then the way they celebrated for only finishing in the Europa Cup spots is weird. I can understand Mourinho to an extent as they were in 14th when he took over so getting them up to 6th is a personal achievement. However, his celebrations looked as cringey as hell.

Even after such an indifferent season and at one time having no fit strikers, they still finished above their local rivals Arsenal for the fourth straight year, so it will be really weird and cringey if Arsenal win the F.A Cup and dare celebrate.

As others have said, it is all about what expectations were. I remember celebrating the fact that I scraped 6 O-Level passes, even though a couple of my classmates passed 12 O-Levels with numerous distinctions. I was the Aston Villa to their Liverpool, I suppose, so should have felt suicidal but I didn't.

You still arent answering the questions. You dont seem to understand how this debating thing works, do you? Answering questions with questions is not how its done.

Feel free to ignore me again and just tell me my 'judgement is impaired' again though, without actually offering a counterpoint. Maybe just swear at me again instead. 'FFS' good debating!
You haven't asked a pertinent question though, have you. Trying to debate by asking whether a position in one division is better than that in another isn't pertinent to this debate is it. That's like asking if the sunshine is better in Kenya or Iceland. Winning promotion from the division you're in is far better than finishing fourth worse in the division you're in. Finishing fourth worse is not something to celebrate unless it is out of four.

I dare say a sunny day in Iceland is celebrated more than one in Kenya ;)

But in Iceland, if a sunny day is worthy of celebration, what about a day when it simply doesn't snow? Something to be celebrated, or an underachievement that they should be embarrassed to celebrate?

I don't think anyone is saying they shouldn't feel pleased or even delighted with staying up, I think the main talking point is the OTT nature of the celebration. Short of popping bottles of champagne and fireworks going off, it wasn't far behind Liverpool's in terms of the player's reactions.
Maybe it was more of an outpouring of unadulterated relief at not having to downsize from a Lambourgini to an Aston Martin.

I think I've celebrated Gills staying up more often than going up.

Halifax at home
Torquay away
Northampton away

If villas target was to stay up that season then they achieved their goal.

Short of popping bottles of champagne and fireworks going off, it wasn't far behind Liverpool's in terms of the player's reactions.
Maybe it was more of an outpouring of unadulterated relief at not having to downsize from a Lambourgini to an Aston Martin.

If you are going to bring money, salaries and possessions in to it you have to weight the achievements accordingly.

Liverpool finally managed to win a trophy for the first time, equalling Blackburn and Leicester, after breaking the world record transfer fee for a defender at the time, followed then by the world record transfer fee for a goalkeeper at the time. I suspect their salaries reflect that position if their agents are worth their salt.

Villa's best player (Grealish) came through their youth system. Only one Liverpool regular (Alexander-Arnold) came through theirs.

Last edited:
If you are going to bring money, salaries and possessions in to it you have to weight the achievements accordingly.

Liverpool finally managed to win a trophy for the first time, equalling Blackburn and Leicester, after breaking the world record transfer fee for a defender at the time, followed then by the world record transfer fee for a goalkeeper at the time. I suspect their salaries reflect that position if their agents are worth their salt.

Villa's best player (Grealish) came through their youth system. Only one Liverpool regular (Alexander-Arnold) came through theirs.

Not sure the point you are making. Below is the net spend over the past 5 years. Villa in 9th and Liverpool in 14th.

And of course Liverpool has won more than just the premier league since signing Van Dijk and Allison

1. Man City – £601.98m
2. Man Utd – £484.88m
3. Arsenal – £267.88m
4. Everton – £225.42m
5. Brighton – £214.86m
6. Wolves – £205.22m
7. West Ham – £187.49m
8. Bournemouth – £176.95m
9. Aston Villa – £166.65m
10. Watford – £125.69m
11. Leicester City – £124.83m
12. Newcastle – £122.91m
13. Chelsea – £115.57m
14. Liverpool – £107.58m
15. Tottenham – £106.62m
16. Crystal Palace – £75.69m
17. Burnley – £59.4m
18. Sheffield United – £56.71m
19. Southampton – £22.32m
20. Norwich City – £25.42m profit

Not sure the point you are making. Below is the net spend over the past 5 years. Villa in 9th and Liverpool in 14th.

And of course Liverpool has won more than just the premier league since signing Van Dijk and Allison

1. Man City – £601.98m
2. Man Utd – £484.88m
3. Arsenal – £267.88m
4. Everton – £225.42m
5. Brighton – £214.86m
6. Wolves – £205.22m
7. West Ham – £187.49m
10. Watford – £125.69m
12. Newcastle – £122.91m
13. Chelsea – £115.57m
14. Liverpool – £107.58m
15. Tottenham – £106.62m
17. Burnley – £59.4m
Easier for Liverpool to attract top players and looking at the relative losses, Liverpool must have been paying massively higher wages given that their income from crowds, tv, position in Prem and winning the Champs league would dwarf what Villa have earned in the same period.

1. Man City – £601.98m
2. Man Utd – £484.88m
3. Arsenal – £267.88m
4. Everton – £225.42m
5. Brighton – £214.86m
6. Wolves – £205.22m
7. West Ham – £187.49m
10. Watford – £125.69m
12. Newcastle – £122.91m
13. Chelsea – £115.57m
14. Liverpool – £107.58m
15. Tottenham – £106.62m
17. Burnley – £59.4m

That chart is artificial due to the stupid amount Barcelona paid for Coutinho during silly season. Take the "net" out of it and it would look very different.

And they have only won one thing other than the premier league in that 5 year period, unless you count those week long tournaments that only 4 teams are eligible for.