Aston Villa Celebrations | Vital Football

Aston Villa Celebrations

Detritus

Vital Squad Member
Actually watched MotD last night. Couldn't believe the Villa players celebrating staying up as they did. You'd have thought they'd won the League (or World Cup) the way they carried on. Should have been embarrassed they were in that position. Just shows how important these players value their wage packet and what being in the cash laden premiershit means. Well done lads, you played like shite for the whole season but have managed to scrape survival to keep the cash cow rolling. AMF.

I’d imagine the owners were celebrating even more!

Did you see Spurs players celebrating their Europa League place? I found it odd but at least they might take the competition seriously.

I didn't see the celebrations, and don't really follow the Premier League closely enough to know whether Villa should've done better than they did, but that criticism sounds a bit harsh to me. As a newly-promoted club they'd have been among the favourites to go straight back down, so presumably surviving represents a decent season for them.

We've certainly celebrated surviving on more than one occasion in the past.

I saw Roy Keane, an absolutely winner on the pitch and medals galore to back it up on Sky Sports! His face when they showed the celebrations!

“You don’t look happy Roy?”

“Why are they celebrated? They haven’t won anything”

I think that Watford and Bournemouth are quickly going to realis that they are not even big Championship sides these days.
I know they will have the parachute money, but think they may be in for a bit of a surprise.
My Watford supporting mate just emailed me saying that 'at least we'll walk that league next season'
We'll see !
How many managers will they go through ?

I think that Watford and Bournemouth are quickly going to realis that they are not even big Championship sides these days.
I know they will have the parachute money, but think they may be in for a bit of a surprise.
My Watford supporting mate just emailed me saying that 'at least we'll walk that league next season'
We'll see !
How many managers will they go through ?

Bournemouth have never been a big Championship/second tier or League One/third tier side to be fair! Credit to their backers and management on and off of the pitch for getting to the Prem and staying there for a while.

I celebrated on the pitch at Torquay when we stayed in the league along with another 1000 Gills fans.

Do you remember the Torquay fans walking towards the Gillingham fans and thinking a fight was going to happen? They just wanted us to celebrate with them as they had just survived too! Must admit I didnt go on the pitch as I had to dash off for a train as I was going to cornwall for a few days!

Got no problem with clubs celebrating staying up. Particularly if they have just come up.

Its no different to celebrating winning promotion. 17th place in the prem is technically better than winning a playoff final. So why not celebrate it?

Not everyone is going to be aiming to win the title. Anyone with a brain can see that.

I dont think spurs would/should be celebrating 6th place though. They expected much better this year.

Last edited:
Do you remember the Torquay fans walking towards the Gillingham fans and thinking a fight was going to happen? They just wanted us to celebrate with them as they had just survived too! Must admit I didnt go on the pitch as I had to dash off for a train as I was going to cornwall for a few days!
1993, I remember it well, well sort off. Made a weekend of it, plenty of beer. As you say when they advanced towards us I did fear the worst! Then both sets of fans started singing 'staying up and then swapping shirts.

Actually watched MotD last night. Couldn't believe the Villa players celebrating staying up as they did. You'd have thought they'd won the League (or World Cup) the way they carried on. Should have been embarrassed they were in that position. Just shows how important these players value their wage packet and what being in the cash laden premiershit means. Well done lads, you played like shite for the whole season but have managed to scrape survival to keep the cash cow rolling. AMF.

They only spent around £60m on signing 8 players (or an average of £7.5m per player with a third of the fees on a single player who had half decent stats in the Belgium leagues. The other two "big" signings for about £10m each were Marvelous** Nakamba and Mbwana Samatta and if your response to these superstars is "who??" then exactly. They both had decent but unremarkable careers in the Belgium leagues before joining.

Aside from Tom Heaton (not a bad signing) the only other player you would have heard of is Kourtney Hause and as well as he played for us in league one, he hardly looked as if he'd be a leading Premier League defender.

Having spent relatively nothing in fees then they did well to stay up using primarily a squad of Championship players that only just scrapped through the playoffs the prior year. So yeah, it was actually a massive achievement by them.

They might have "played like shite for the whole season" but aside from Grealish, they generally lacked any quality. Now they have kept up it'll be interesting to see if the owners back Dean Smith with some money.

** who failed to live up to his name

I didn't see the celebrations, and don't really follow the Premier League closely enough to know whether Villa should've done better than they did, but that criticism sounds a bit harsh to me. As a newly-promoted club they'd have been among the favourites to go straight back down, so presumably surviving represents a decent season for them.

We've certainly celebrated surviving on more than one occasion in the past.

I'd agree with that. Thank of the final whistle celebrations at Northampton as an example

I'd agree with that. Thank of the final whistle celebrations at Northampton as an example

And I think I read that a month or so ago Villa were 7pts away from safety. That’s some comeback and well worth celebrating.

I also didn’t realise they were just promoted last season. For some reason that all seems like 10 years ago.

And to think Manure fans criticised Liverpool for their celebrations after winning the thing 🤔
Everyone were criticising not just Manchester United fans, to give them their proper name! The rubbish they left in the docks and the streets around anfield was disgusting!