Aston Villa Away To Wolves Match Thread | Page 3 | Vital Football

Aston Villa Away To Wolves Match Thread

DeanoVilla - 9/10/2017 19:54

Villan57 - 9/10/2017 16:58

Our central midfield worries me Whelan is past his best and Hourihane isn't a player who can play in a two . Neither of them can run , neither can beat a man . Close them down and we'll lose the ball .

Amazing we've somehow won 4 games in a row with the same 2 cripples in the middle of the park.

:6: :6: :6:

caveat..... I'm not a huge Whelan fan either to be fair, but credit where it's due the partnership is flourishing at the moment.

I'd say Davis and Koj are flourishing even Terry and Chester but I don't see the midfield as flourishing as I said it's the weak link , we have have got away with it . Sooner Jedi is back the better . We've won matches despite them , Bruce doesn't have many options currently but I'm sure the midfield will get changed before the defence or strike force . Always look to improve

Disagree with the negativity about our CM, wev won four on the bounce , Im not sure if any other midfeilder in the league has scored more than hourihane. Who else in our team is better than them, they both work hard, lansburys not, onamahs not, jedinak is arguably the same as whelan. but dont think we can fault whelan, our defence has been solid recently, while terry is playing alot better now, alot of that is down to the protection whelan is giving. Always an underrated player, yes we dont have the mobility in midfeild but to a sense that does come with playing 442. wev two very dangerous strikers so seems its best to stick to whats working, as of now we dont have a CM who is good enough to start instead of them

Some fans aren't happy unless they're moaning :21:
Still it's all about opinions and that's what makes it fun

Silhillvilla - 10/10/2017 21:51

Some fans aren't happy unless they're moaning :21:
Still it's all about opinions and that's what makes it fun

You wait if we lose saturday Silhill.

It will be meltdown time again.

A loss isn't the end of the world if we put in a good performance but ideally if we wanna get promoted then we should be taking at least a point here. Wolves fans getting all cocky because of some poncy Portuguese fellas in their team :3: lol just kidding I'm sure they're fine players.

1-1 draw me thinks

The concerns regarding out midfield are valid, we've hardly been playing against top sides and I've raised the concern as early as the Barnsley game. It's not even to say these guys are bad players its that we might lack balance and the guys playing don't totally compliment each other. This is a test plain and simple.

Hourihane I rate much higher than most and it actually galls a littleat how negative some are about him. We finally have a guy who scores from midfield and gets his head up to play the ball but thats not enough. I do concede playing him in a midfield two is hardly exploiting his talent. I still believe our strongest side is 433 or 4231 Bruce just doesnt know how to implement it effectively and thats fair enough because if can get a 442 working we'll be strong.

Whelan I will never rate, I've had the displeasure of watching him play for my country for the best part of a decade and its all well and good saying that means something but there is a lack of context. Its like when someone talks about Villa but has watched us play 4 times in two seasons its not a fully formed opinion. For us at this level he is okay but any pace in the middle of the park or a side who can pass incisively will destroy us.

DeanoVilla - 9/10/2017 19:54

Amazing we've somehow won 4 games in a row with the same 2 cripples in the middle of the park.

Yes 4 teams in the bottom half.

I am not sure if V57 is of the same opinion, I am openly skeptical of whether it will actually work against what I'd consider a good quality side. It is a test and thats where I stand, if we can be competitive against Wolves I will be very optimistic. I like Hourihane a lot but I feel 442 limits him and I dislike Glenn (a lot) and I think 442 exploits his weaknesses.

Whatever the result Saturday this squad should be in or around the top 3 of this league by Christmas, no excuses .

Very good test for us, not only regarding the result but what sort of performance we put on against Wolves. Will we play like a top 6 team or a bottom-half hopeful?

I just hope Bruce can get 'em up for the challenge. The challenge from the kick off through to the final whistle.

That for me is the big worry.

With that in mind, I hope for a 1-1 draw.

No need to worry on that score Pride.

If they can't get themselves up for this one then they shouldn't be playing football.

It's the kind of game that the players must love.

Bruce can only do so much in getting them up for the challenge.

The players have to have it within themselves.

Agreed MD

I would give anything to be able to play in a game like this.

Bang up for this and it's still only Wednesday.!!!!

My prep for the match has tonight involved informing the females of the Melon household that due to the Sky coverage of this match they will have to make alternative arrangements to watch Strictly on Saturday. :15:

There's a high probability that Wolves will score. I think Whelan's lack of pace will be shown up. To counter that we have to score, and to do that we have to go out with that intention. If Bruce is too cautious we're doomed.

The Football League have now announced the Match Day officials that will take charge of the game between Wolverhampton Wanderers and Aston Villa this Saturday.

<br><br><a href ="http://www.vitalfootball.co.uk/router.asp?7523676">Click here to read the article</a><br><br>

Disaster , I remember this bloke at our game at Cardiff and he gave possibly the worst performance ever from any official in any sport.

Not the bloke you need for a highly charged local derby and I can smell trouble from 3 days away.

sirdennis - 12/10/2017 08:22

Disaster , I remember this bloke at our game at Cardiff and he gave possibly the worst performance ever from any official in any sport.

Not the bloke you need for a highly charged local derby and I can smell trouble from 3 days away.

SirDennis you have a short memory. What about the 'official' for the Bolton game ?