Aston Villa Away To Wolves Match Thread | Page 2 | Vital Football

Aston Villa Away To Wolves Match Thread

Holte End Hero - 5/10/2017 16:29

JuanPabloAngel - 5/10/2017 13:21

Well at the end of the day, we have no back-up LB, so whoever fills in will be sub-standard.

As long as it's not Bjarnason, it doesn't much matter I guess. Wolves' wide players must be licking their lips at the situation :10:

I can't fault Bjarnason's work rate from what I've seen. He seems to lack focus and can get caught out of position which you can't get away with in any of the back 4 positions. Would be a gamble to throw him in there but if Bruce has a word in his ear maybe it could pay off. He's not the most talented player I've seen VP though that's for sure.

Imagine Bouma in this division?

In fairness Bouma was shocking for the first 18 months , then he was the best left back we've had in an age

I think De Laet will play left back. He's done it before for long periods of time, most recently on loan at Boro -

A deputy left-back at Boro has the unenviable task of filling George Friend's boots.

Yet Ritchie De Laet made an excellent job of it after signing for Boro on loan from Leicester City last season.

With Friend out injured and with a shortage of right-backs, the versatile De Laet was seen a safe pair of hands who could do a job on both flanks.

But to say he just did a job would be to do him a disservice.

He was excellent in his opening few weeks at the club, twinning the defensive basics with a willingness to get forward down the flank at every given opportunity.

Holte End Hero - 5/10/2017 16:29

I can't fault Bjarnason's work rate from what I've seen.

Agree, wasn't doubting that. He's just not a very good defender. I'd sooner see Hutton there and that is saying something.

I would play Thor instead of Hutton , in fact I would play Charlie Aitken before Hutton and he must be well into his 70's

De Laet for me though based on Deano's excellent research

sirdennis - 6/10/2017 09:19

I would play Thor instead of Hutton , in fact I would play Charlie Aitken before Hutton and he must be well into his 70's

De Laet for me though based on Deano's excellent research

Don't get me wrong, I would rather play myself than Hutton. I just rate Thor even lower than the Scottish Cafu defensively, and with the width and pace that Wolves have on offer.... :10:

Yes, agree it should be de Laet for me.

You could play Hurihan at left back and take the game to wolves with huro and Albert down the left.
Are we shit scared of thier wingers........are they Hancocks and Mullen, then we should be scared

De Laet at LB it has to be imo. Really tough game because we're not showing consistency, and if we don't turn up with 100% we're gonna get beat. Same team for me apart from LB and we have to attack them. 2-1 Villa for me, Kodjia and Albert to score.

I'd go for de Laet as well, provided he's fit. Or give Bree a chance to show something. Bree's problem is that he's hardly been given any sort of run since Bruce bought him. Bruce will play Hutton. I can understand Hutton at RB, but not at LB.

Manager Steve Bruce has been holding his pre game press conference ahead of the tie against Bolton Wanderers this weekend and we continue to have a few players out.<br><br><a href ="http://www.vitalfootball.co.uk/router.asp?7523631">Click here to read the article</a><br><br>

BodyButter - 4/10/2017 15:14

DeanoVilla - 4/10/2017 21:12

BodyButter - 4/10/2017 12:03

It's a big match for both sides.

I'm hoping for a win (of course) but as long as we are competitive, I'll be happy enough.

I never believe people when they say that.

I don't think I've ever been happy after a defeat.

I won't be happy if we lose. I don't want us to lose.

However, I'll be happy enough as long as we are competitive.

Agree Re: competitive, we have to be realistic here this is a big test to see if we have the credentials for not just automatic promotion but also against a team who will be there or there abouts in the playoffs.

I am not convinced about this 442/4411 set up we have and that is largely around our central midfield partnership. It reminds me too much of Delph and Westwood. On paper a midfield who can beat a man and pass in quickly I feel will overwhelm them and a physical midfield will overpower and out run them. Glenn Whelan is not mobile and Hourihane isnt a defensive player. Thats on paper tho so I am very interested to see if this is actually a capable partnership against a good side.

Conversely its a test for Wolves too, I expect us to be in the playoff positions until the end of season so this is a test to see if they can face the pressure of playing a 'big team'. A team who can hurt you from nowhere ala: Kodjia wonder strike.

I cannot wait for this.

A local derby between 2 in form teams , and under the lights.

The atmosphere will be electric.

the lights will be electric at least, they changed from oil filled lights in Wolverhampton a couple of years ago :3:

Our central midfield worries me Whelan is past his best and Hourihane isn't a player who can play in a two . Neither of them can run , neither can beat a man . Close them down and we'll lose the ball .
We need to get the ball into Davis and Koj early and let wolves worry about us , any tippy tappy shite and we'll get mullered

Villan57 - 9/10/2017 16:58

Our central midfield worries me Whelan is past his best and Hourihane isn't a player who can play in a two . Neither of them can run , neither can beat a man . Close them down and we'll lose the ball .

Amazing we've somehow won 4 games in a row with the same 2 cripples in the middle of the park.

:6: :6: :6:

caveat..... I'm not a huge Whelan fan either to be fair, but credit where it's due the partnership is flourishing at the moment.

Whelan does what he does and it's ok, it's better than Westwood and Gana .
He will play the ball the way he faces . He will get his foot in and break up opponents moves.

Yes I am not sure either Whelan or Hourihane are as bad as '57 makes out . Hourihane is our top scorer and it is ages since we had a midfielder chipping in with a few goals . Whelan seems to have paired up with him well and you can see these little partnerships forming in the side now. Chester and Terry , Whelan and Hourihane , Kodjia and Davies and best of all Snoddy and Elmo.

Erod - 7/10/2017 00:47

You could play Hurihan at left back and take the game to wolves with huro and Albert down the left.
Are we shit scared of thier wingers........are they Hancocks and Mullen, then we should be scared

Bit before my time, but Dave Wagstaffe I remember.