Aston Villa Away To West Ham Utd Official Thread | Page 44 | Vital Football

Aston Villa Away To West Ham Utd Official Thread

Lasting impression for me is that VAR has finally killed the game. Pathetic decision, too busy drawing lines everywhere, even Carragher said it was crazy that they didn't see the defender with both arms round Ollie, blatant penalty.

After 47 years of watching my beloved team, won't be watching either at the ground or on TV until VAR is gone, RIP football!!!!!

We aren't the biggest side are we , so need to use the height we have in the best way , not marking space.

A major problem at set-pieces is our lack of height, keeper needs to come and claim those.
He had nothing at all to do last night but two crosses, he didn't show for the first, the second he's in no man's land. Not blaming him, but two attempts on goal and they score two goals. Same old story , these weren't worldies this week

Still completely pissed off over last night.

The worst thing is, I don't think we played that well , yet still should have won that comfortably.

The biggest concern to me is that we have become easy to score against again , and that needs rectifying.

Easy game against a poor side and we let them score two goals from nothing. Just pissed me off that Deano didn't get the subs on to win the game earlier

After that terrible run of defeats we went on last season I stopped listening to Dean Smith's post-match interviews because I was tired of hearing the same old excuses with him blaming everyone and everything else except himself.

I watched the interview last night and nothing has really changed with the same naivety from a guy who doesn't seem to learn from his mistakes with team selection, tactics, and probably the most predictable substitutions and timing of them in the Premier League.

His naivety is reflected with the players on the pitch and that for me is a real worry. I certainly don't expect others to agree with me but I'm afraid that's the way I see it and for me, Dean isn't the man to take us to the next level and we will continue this roller coaster ride of good wins but far too many defeats. - As much as I would like Dean to be the man to take us forward, however, personally I can't see it but good luck to you if you think otherwise and I hope you are right?

I agree with other comments about VAR. It has ruined the game and taking people's love of the game away and that includes me.

I'm probably in the minority but I'm sitting here thinking we should have won that, even with VAR operating. In fact, I don't know how we haven't.
Blaming VAR is taking away from the fact we should have been 3 up by then.
we'd be top of the table if we had a decent right winger this season . one who could just tap into an empty goal. Roll on the TF window flying open
Dont know how you can think you are in a minority 57, its blindingly obvious we should have won it. We were the better team.
The fact that we didnt is why Im still seething this morning.
We shouldnt have VAR, end of. Its ruining the spectacle, and they are getting away with murder without us not in the ground to vent our fury.
I cant believe we are nine games into the season and still employing a marking system that costs us sloppy goals time and again.
If I have a criticism of Smith it is that he is either very stubborn, or slow on the uptake, whatever he is sticking with a defensive system that we are not good enough to play.
Individually our defence are poor, or in the case of Cash, inexperienced at this level, collectively they are a shambles.
Not time to panic yet, because there were positives, but the longer we go on using this aweful defensive set up and giving away soft goals the harder it becomes to win.

Last edited:
Dont know how you can think you are in a minority 57, its blindingly obvious we should have won it. We were the better team.
The fact that we didnt is why Im still seething this morning.
We shouldnt have VAR, end of. Its ruining the spectacle, and they are getting away with murder without us in the ground to vent our fury.
I cant believe we are nine games into the season and still employing a marking system that costs us sloppy goals time and again.
If I have a criticism of Smith it is that he is either very stubborn, or slow on the uptake, whatever he is sticking with a defensive system that we are not good enough to play.
Individually our defence are poor, or in the case of Cash, inexperienced at this level, collectively they are a shambles.
Not time to panic yet, because there were positives, but the longer we go on using this aweful defensive set up and giving away soft goals the harder it becomes to win.

Confidence drains quickly after several losses and it becomes an acceptable habit, plucky losers again last night. We've lost every game the opposition has scored first.
Blaming VAR is just an excuse, we may as blame Watkins and Trez for missing sitters.
If you go back to the start of the VAR thread I predicted what would happen before they even brought it in and so it has proven.
Human error is part of the game VAR is worked by humans or Refs who part robot part human.
Lets stick to one twat and his whistle and stop them hiding behind VAR

For most of the game I thought we were the better team but a worrying thought is beginning to niggle me. Slowness to get going after kick off and doziness after half time cost us goals last season. Then we started giving points away after being in winning positions. The first bad habits have crept back into our game. I hope we’re not going to follow the rest of that script. If I was an opposition manager I’d be telling my team to get off to a high intensity start and get at Villa before they wake up.
This needs sorting.

I wasn't happy with Mings last night. Both those goals were crosses he should be attacking. We need to bin that zonal nonsense. Mings should be marking the main threat at set pieces, Konsa the next main threat and so on. Against Southampton it was McGinn challenging a massive centre half and last night it was Targett against Ogbonna. That's just stupid

I get annoyed with Mings when he tries dribbling past an attacker when he's the last man, but I dont see he was at fault for either goal last night.
The first is down to a crap zonal tactic we keep using, he is just staying where he's been instructed to. It was Luiz supposed to be marking Ogbonna, although not the best idea as there must be at least a foot height advantage.
The 2nd goal Mings came out to close Bowen as our midfield were still trying to chase back, when Bowen plays it out wide Mings drops back to pick up Haller. Targett couldnt go to Bowen as he had an overlap on his outside. Personally thought Konsa should have attacked the ball if anyone as he is the free man.

Talking of being naive, I thought the ref last night was shocking (nothing new with that though), and his inexperience and naivety was so obvious the West Ham players tried him out at the start by dirty tackling (particularly on Grealish) and once they saw they could get away with it they continued throughout the game.

Talking of being naive, I thought the ref last night was shocking (nothing new with that though), and his inexperience and naivety was so obvious the West Ham players tried him out at the start by dirty tackling (particularly on Grealish) and once they saw they could get away with it they continued throughout the game.

Yes, I noticed every time he gave a free kick to Jack they were all crowding round the ref calling him a diver trying to put him under pressure. He wouldnt have to fall over if they stopped fucking kicking him

Easy game against a poor side and we let them score two goals from nothing. Just pissed me off that Deano didn't get the subs on to win the game earlier

Poor side 57? Apart from them beating Leicester and Wolves and drawing with Man City and Spurs? Oh yes and winning their last 3 prior to us and only losing one of their last eight? And conceding fewer goals than all but two in the league?
Just because we dominated doesn’t mean it was because they are a poor team. I take a lot of pluses from this game but the worrying trend for me is how we give away cheap gifts nearly every game making it so much more difficult for us.

I accept our defence has it's weaknesses, but many of the goals we have conceded this season comes from the transition when play breaks down from our right. Either causing a goal from open play or us giving away a poorly defended corner or free kick.
Hopefully the hierarchy are seeing this too.

The thing that worries me the most is the amount of work Jack had to do last night, which is fine when we win, but if results keep going against us and Citeh do come knocking then he’d be mad not to give it a go.
And because of that I think we need to prove to Jack that we indeed mean business and go and get a better manager (sorry to everyone whose sick of hearing it) Because last night we all knew Trez and Hourihane needed subbing at half-time, and once again he waits till 65-70 mins, he’s obviously got a system, (well he and the other 2 who always seem to be in the technical area when we go 1 down, does he not know what’s needed!) he won’t move an inch, we’ve lost 4/5 now and our good start is a long way off.
In my eyes if we want Jack we need rid of Smith.

Confidence drains quickly after several losses and it becomes an acceptable habit, plucky losers again last night. We've lost every game the opposition has scored first.
Blaming VAR is just an excuse, we may as blame Watkins and Trez for missing sitters.
If you go back to the start of the VAR thread I predicted what would happen before they even brought it in and so it has proven.
Human error is part of the game VAR is worked by humans or Refs who part robot part human.
Lets stick to one twat and his whistle and stop them hiding behind VAR
Agree 100% with that re VAR, and posted exactly the same after the Brighton fiasco.
Not blaming it last night mate, like you, we were our own worst enemies once again, sloppy in the extreme.

After that terrible run of defeats we went on last season I stopped listening to Dean Smith's post-match interviews because I was tired of hearing the same old excuses with him blaming everyone and everything else except himself.

I watched the interview last night and nothing has really changed with the same naivety from a guy who doesn't seem to learn from his mistakes with team selection, tactics, and probably the most predictable substitutions and timing of them in the Premier League.

His naivety is reflected with the players on the pitch and that for me is a real worry. I certainly don't expect others to agree with me but I'm afraid that's the way I see it and for me, Dean isn't the man to take us to the next level and we will continue this roller coaster ride of good wins but far too many defeats. - As much as I would like Dean to be the man to take us forward, however, personally I can't see it but good luck to you if you think otherwise and I hope you are right?

I agree with other comments about VAR. It has ruined the game and taking people's love of the game away and that includes me.
I agree.

What does my head in with our defending set-pieces etc is if you concede a sloppy goal through playing a system that clearly isn't working then why persist with it week in and week out?

You now know that every team we play will have seen this glaring opportunity to score and will employ the same tactics against us.

Being stubborn isn't a bad thing as long as what you are doing is working well. However, when it comes to our defending and the instructions they are under then it's clear for all to see it isn't working well at all.

What does my head in with our defending set-pieces etc is if you concede a sloppy goal through playing a system that clearly isn't working then why persist with it week in and week out?

You now know that every team we play will have seen this glaring opportunity to score and will employ the same tactics against us.

Being stubborn isn't a bad thing as long as what you are doing is working well. However, when it comes to our defending and the instructions they are under then it's clear for all to see it isn't working well at all.
You also need a player who can put the corner in to the inch, we also don’t have one of those 😫