Aspartame - get messed up! (+ energy drinks!) | Page 2 | Vital Football

Aspartame - get messed up! (+ energy drinks!)

Sugar free jelly is the only pudding I can have on my atkins diet.

Thanks for the info though Steff, read and digested.... but unfortunately ignored.

Who wants to live forever anyway? Once I'm too old to swing a golf club I'll be praying for death.

Not about living forever, it is about feeling as well as you can whilst living.

I'd quite happily knock 10 or more years off my life to feel well during the period left.

More about enjoying life though isn't it and if you enjoy food and drink thats a big part of enjoying it.

Cutting out stuff you like tends to make you miserable.

The Fear - 10/8/2012 23:54

No idea how alarmist or true this is, prob somewhere in the middle?!

http://www.topix.com/forum/world/australia/T0V9KR3HV1JBP7V3M

French ban over health concerns

http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/releases/5753.php

Wiki says not banned in France any more

Red Bull did not get market approval in France, Denmark, and Norway[33] for several years, but the energy drink is now on sale in all 27 EU Member States and in 164 countries around the world.
The French approval process started in 1996 with concerns about taurine, a normal body constituent and also naturally present in the human diet (e.g., scallops, fish, poultry). This meant the drink could not be sold as-is in France. Instead, a different recipe that did not contain the ingredient was introduced. The refusal of market approval was challenged by the European Commission and partially upheld by the European Court of Justice in 2004,[33] before the French food safety agency relented in 2008 after being unable to prove definitively the existence of any health risk, taurine-related or not.[34]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_Bull
Just to clear up a couple of incompleat points from that wiki post, Norway is not an EU country and Red Bull is available here along with many other stimulant drinks such as Monster.

DeanoVilla - 11/8/2012 10:57

So we can't eat/drink sugar and we can't eat/drink sugar free things with sweeteners?

I give up.

Sweeteners have always been hotly debated, as per post earlier in thread, and I think I have it right, it spikes insulin etc in prep for the sugar the body doesn't get.

As for sugar in food and drink, yes you can, but like everything, it is about moderation. Some people drink two litres of coke a day, plus sweets, cakes etc.

Too much of most things isn't good.

DeanoVilla - 11/8/2012 11:44

More about enjoying life though isn't it and if you enjoy food and drink thats a big part of enjoying it.

All about informed choices. I agree. But some of the diets of people drain them of energy and life. Some then start eating more balanced and find out how good life can be.

If you re read it villan if the north they don't claim, nor do I, that Norway is a EU country. Plus the full link, or one of them in this thread does state they are now available.

DeanoVilla - 11/8/2012 11:44

I enjoy a wide variety of food and drink, I just choose not to poison myself at the same time, If there's a food you like that contains ingredients that are not good for you, you can usually find a healthy alternative that tastes the same, it just means a bit of extra effort and some imagination.

DeanoVilla - 11/8/2012 11:00

Who wants to live forever anyway? Once I'm too old to swing a golf club I'll be praying for death.

So why not look after yourself and be able to swing a club for longer? Do you not have anyone in your life that you want to be around for?

I just don't understand that attitude, stay fit and strong for as long as possible so you can enjoy your life for longer.

It's a bit late to wish you had looked after yourself better when the person you love is in tears at your bedside.

Bloke that goes swimming every morning, pool I go to, is 86! He does front crawl for 45 minutes then rides his bike home three miles. I hope I'm doing the same at that age.

The Fear - 11/8/2012 10:26

Ah cool, will watch that.

As a slight aside as Red Bull has been mentioned within this thread, what is your view of the non diet energy drinks or caffeine supplementation?

bumped up in the hopes sir steff sees this post

Don't drink coke or anything like that at home. Only fizzy drink have at home is flavoured sparkling water. Contains sucralose but not aspartame, so not as bad. Sometimes have a coke if i go to the pub but not that often to be honest.

Caffeine supplementation is widely used in sports and training, as long as you're not stupid with it, no problem, best first thing in the morning 20 mins before training, strong black coffee or pro plus is best, no added nutrients or chemicals!

There are low cal, no sugar energy drinks that do not contain Aspartame, off the top of my head Monster Ripper and Relentless Zero are the best of a bad bunch.

Any fizzy drink will increase water retention and add to bloating, for those on Anabolic Steroids these are a no no.

Yeah, went for energy drinks as I don't drink coffee or tea. Could try pro plus again, not sure why, in the past they have tended to make me feel a bit pukey... Will try again.

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2012/08/16/health-energy-drinks-alcohol-heart-problems_n_1790363.html

But as energy drinks have become increasingly popular, so too has mixing and drinking them with alcohol -- and that could be causing health problems, suggests a new study.

According to an Australian study that compared the outcomes of alcohol/energy drinks with alcohol-only drinks, those who drink the latter are more like to experience heart-related health problems.

"Alcohol-energy drink consumers were less likely to experience several psychological and physiological sedation side-effects, such as speech and walking difficulties, nausea, slurred speech, confusion, and exhaustion, when drinking alcohol/energy drinks compared to alcohol," said study author Amy Peacock from the University of Tasmania, in a statement.

"However, they also had a greater chance in alcohol/energy drink sessions of experiencing several side-effects related to over-stimulation, including heart palpitations, increased speech speed, sleeping difficulties, agitation and tremors, jolt and crash episodes, and irritability and tension."

old story, but worth posting - about a woman in the US, Diane Fleming, who got convicted of her husbands murder, when the real cause was suspected to be Aspartame

http://rense.com/general38/mother.htm

http://www.dldewey.com/columns/flemingf.htm