Artificial Intelligence Revolution | Vital Football

Artificial Intelligence Revolution

Prepared

Vital Football Legend
Came across this on twitter yesterday, read it this morning and even though I work in IT and know how fast things are changing, this actually made me stop and think for a bit.

just thought it might be of interest to you good people.

http://waitbutwhy.com/2015/01/artificial-intelligence-revolution-1.html

Fear, I wont quote it as its full of graphs and the likes and it wont translate well to a copy and paste job....

The interesting thing is as more and more stuff is done for us, the less we have to think.

I think this is going to lead to a generation of total dummies, or arguably already has!

This is all you need to take from it

If our meager brains were able to invent wifi, then something 100 or 1,000 or 1 billion times smarter than we are should have no problem controlling the positioning of each and every atom in the world in any way it likes, at any time—everything we consider magic, every power we imagine a supreme God to have will be as mundane an activity for the ASI as flipping on a light switch is for us. Creating the technology to reverse human aging, curing disease and hunger and even mortality, reprogramming the weather to protect the future of life on Earth—all suddenly possible. Also possible is the immediate end of all life on Earth. As far as we’re concerned, if an ASI comes to being, there is now an omnipotent God on Earth—and the all-important question for us is:

Will it be a nice God?

I have read a things on this and the danger of what we are doing is immense and once we reach a certain point we cant go back... The scarier element is how the simple programming could backfire dramatically... You might programme the AI to make everyone smile but instead of trying to make us happy it paralyses your face to have a permanent smile...

The Fear - 9/2/2015 15:50

The interesting thing is as more and more stuff is done for us, the less we have to think.

I think this is going to lead to a generation of total dummies, or arguably already has!
:91:

I do wonder about AI. I mean developing a computer which can do a specific task is one thing. Developing on which can learn new tasks by itself is completely different.

From what I've seen, out computers ain't up to much, yet.