Arsenal v Aston Villa match thread | Vital Football

Arsenal v Aston Villa match thread

I am waiting for the game that Villa give me the confidence in this season. I don't see this one being that game, but I shall live in hope. They can be a fragile team if the oppo take it to them, so over to Deano and the squad then.

Yes time to be pragmatic and put an extra body in midfield.

We don't have too bad a record there , so I am hopeful we can get something from this game.

We actually won this fixture in 2008, 2011, 2013... Pretend 2015 didn't happen and ignore the championship seasons...

2019 looks good to me! They look very vulnerable so far this season, we can win this if we go for it.

Not an easy game. No such thing in PL, but, push Wesley onto the shoulder of David Luiz for 90 minutes. There's always at least one howler in him, we need to capitalise on it when, not if, it happens.

I am waiting for the game that Villa give me the confidence in this season. I don't see this one being that game, but I shall live in hope. They can be a fragile team if the oppo take it to them, so over to Deano and the squad then.
I’m actually thinking this could be the game Fear. As you say Arsenal are fragile and after their experience against Watford I genuinely think Villa could turn them over, especially if we stay positive. Mings marks Aubameyang out of the game, Grealish gets more freedom further forward and McGinn scores from outside the area.

Optimistic about this one. Against Hammers the onus was on us to attack. Against Arsenal the onus is on them. We will have more room in the final third and hopefully more clear-cut chances. Their defence isn't great. Our defence can probably cope.

No basis for confidence at the moment. Unless Deano is going to set up differently as per my post in the WH match thread then I think the Arse will be too strong for us.

At the moment a draw away from home would be magic.

Conceding just 1 goal in 3 games gives me hope. We’ll have Trezeguet back which is a plus for me after that dire display from El Ghazi

Since the likes of Adams, Keown, Viera etc. retired I always thought Arsenal were a bunch of poncey pretty boys.

Get stuck into them. They probably won't know what to make of McGinn. As someone mentioned last night, he must be the most annoying player ever to play against.

I wish we had a few more McGinns.

Draw at very best if Arsenal are poor. Could be 3 or 4 if they play like they did against Spurs

Time for a bit of 4-2-3-1 get people closer to Wesley and give the lad a chance.

Heaton
Guilbert Engels Mings Hause
Luiz Marvelous
Trez SJM JG
Wesley

I really would like that to be given a go.

Exactly the team I would play, it sort of goes with the usual DS set up anyway so two holding players isn’t a bad move. It allows SJM to make bursting runs to support Wes and press high, you see so many teams play away with a lone striker but he’s marked out of the game. We all know from the spurs game SJM can get a goal doing that. It would also allow us to get 9 outfield players behind the ball if we’re struggling, and letting Xhaka shoot from 35 yards doesn’t worry me.

Arsenal are dangerous going forward but terrible at the back. This league is dominated by some top, top sides in the world - Man Utd and arsenal are not two of them. They’re in the same part of the league as we were holding in the mid 90’s, give them lots of respect but let’s not go there defeated before kick off.

Not sure what people are seeing in Trez, to be honest.
I'd certainly give Marv and Dougie a goo with SJM and Jack in midfield. I'd play Hause at LB but Smith won't
Might even play without a striker, although I think we've been trying to do that all season