Arsenal v Aston Villa Match Thread 08/11/2020 19:15 | Page 34 | Vital Football

Arsenal v Aston Villa Match Thread 08/11/2020 19:15

Sky are showing the whole game again now. It's on 57th minute point. Sometimes it's hard to watch a game properly live due to nerves. But watching it now.....my god we were brilliant!

Thanks mate I didn't know they showed the whole game again when it was PPV that's another kick in the spuds for those who paid to watch it

And I love the stats they trot out.
Only the fourth team to beat Arsenal by 3 goals at the Etihad.
Chelsea, Manchester City, Bayern Munich and Aston Villa.

Sorry but I can't stop talking about last night.
The best team performance for God knows how long. We could have had 7 again.

You almost forgot who the players were. They all played at such a high level they sort of merged - like the great teams of the 70s/80s.

You could create a show reel for each one of them from that game.
Luiz - everywhere
Trez - making through balls, and an actual threat in the box.
Barclay - my God. How many goal-scoring chances did he make?
Grealish - another Messi game.
Ollie - I was worried his head would drop first half but came alive when we started dominating them.
McGinn - running again - what happened last 2 games?
Emi - class. Name a better keeper we've ever had?
Targett - always worries me a bit at the back but what he added to our attack!
Cash - out of position sometimes but when we are playing well we defend en mass and it's ok.
Konsa - solid again.
Mings - hardly saw him...which may be a good thing. Did nothing wrong.

When the whole team perform like that. When they can't mark everybody. You become unstoppable.

Agree sirdennis. Against Liverpool if we had took aim at the Trinity Road stand it would have ended up in the back of the net, it was just one of those games when everything went in, even big deflections.
Last night was total domination, away from home, at Arsenal where we never do it, with all the team firing on all cylinders.
That was our best perfomance in a number of years.
Totally agree. Take nothing away from our performance against Liverpool but this result gave me much more satisfaction. We played a good Arsenal side off the park and after two iffy defeats you just wondered are we going back to how we played last season. Not a chance after this showing.
Every player caught the eye but I'm so pleased for Watkins who along with his hold up play and awareness looks like a very special player in the making.

There's been a fair bit of stick for Barkley, Trezeguet and Targett last couple of games before Arsenal, Last night all three put in a great performance, Targett picked out Grealish with a lovely ball from the centre for McGinn's disallowed goal, Should of had an assist to his name for the first, along with Trezeguet being in the right place at the right time should of had a goal to his name.

Trezeguet won the ball back on the right to fire Barkley up wide that should of had an assist for Grealish's effort cleared off the line, Luiz perfect ball for Barkley to volley a cross in (extremely hard to do) and Watkins put it away.

An then for the final goal Watkins could of gone for the easier option and played Barkley through on goal, but a striker wanting goals (I don't blame him!) scored a beautiful goal through the legs of the keeper pretty much the only striking option from a tight angle.

I could talk about all the players, but you've got to hand it to the three players who have bounced back and on another day would of been on the score sheets themselves.

So pleased for all three of them, it was a proper teams performance, Happy Watkins finally got some service too, and Grealish is getting the recognition, what's that 4 goals, 5 assists in 7 games ?

Hard to call for MOTM but I'd still give it to Jack, Watching an Arsenal fan on AFTV himself and Shearer saying Villa should of had 6 or 7 tonight, Amazing performance from start to finish, After a couple of humbling losses I still think we're well value for money for a top 10 finish, I won't be surprised if Arsenal get thumped by Leeds in their next match.

Such a weird season.

Nicked.

Still can't get enough of the win last night despite watching the highlights and the Arsenal fans reactions on AFTv to our and especially Jack's performance. Every one contributed to the win. The epitome of a proper team performance. I would like for us to attack like we did yesterday by keeping possession and passing the ball at a slow to moderate pace until we find the right moment to quickly raise the pace to get the ball to Ollie to score. Personally, I would prefer the kind of quick and in numbers way of attack that Leeds use, however, I am fine with whatever works best for us. That pass from Luiz to Barkley and from Barkley to Ollie were both world-class. McGinn showed a lot of improvement. I was worried about losing Heaton to injury but in Martinez we have it seems found a fantastic replacement. Ollie was fantastic in everything he did yesterday. Hope he continues to work hard on improving further. Seems like a very humble person.

As much as I would love to enjoy the win even more, I am worried about a shit performance against Brighton.🙄
Well that lanky gum chewer will come and park the bus

After the 3-0 home defeat by Man U, we looked dead and buried, a poor side that deserved the inevitable relegation. The turn around since that awful night has been incredible. Everyone at the club should be proud of what they've achieved.

Keep it going Villa!

Totally agree. Take nothing away from our performance against Liverpool but this result gave me much more satisfaction. We played a good Arsenal side off the park and after two iffy defeats you just wondered are we going back to how we played last season. Not a chance after this showing.
Every player caught the eye but I'm so pleased for Watkins who along with his hold up play and awareness looks like a very special player in the making.
Agree, especially re Watkins.
He caught the eye for his goals, but as you say, for me it was his all round contribution to the game, in particular his hold up play.
Its quite a while since we have had a forward that contributes in this manner, with the added bonus of being an instinctive finisher.