Arsenal 11 City 9
Cards
Arsenal 2 Y City 2 Y (B Silva, Cancelo)
On Target
Arsenal 1 City 3
Woodwork
Arsenal 0 City 0
Off Target
Arsenal 6 City 12 (PL site has 7 Arsenal shots, City 15 - City OS Arsenal 3 shots City 6 off target)

Attendance Behind closed doors

Compiled from Premier League and City Official Site match day threads

Links

https://www.premierleague.com/match/59136

https://matchday.mancity.com/fixtures/first-team/2020/arsenal-v-manchester-city

Manchester City

• Manchester City are the first top-flight team to win their opening 11 matches of a calendar year.
  • Victory against Arsenal extended their record run to 18 matches in all competitions, 13 of them in the league.
  • They are unbeaten in 25 competitive games since a 2-0 defeat by Tottenham in November.
  • The loss versus Spurs was the last time they trailed in any Premier League fixture.
  • City equal the club record of 11 successive away victories in all competitions, set from May to November 2017.
  • They have kept 23 clean sheets, more than any other team in the top five European leagues or top four divisions in England.
  • Ilkay Gundogan is Manchester City's leading scorer in the Premier League, with his 11 goals all coming in his last 12 appearances.

18:33
'A brilliant team performance'
FT: Arsenal 0-1 Man City

It was brilliant. City took the lead so, so early and then they worked hard as a team.

They kept the ball, the opponents don't get an opportunity, they defend. Dias was unbelievable. It was a brilliant team performance, just the movement to keep the ball.

It's difficult for teams to try break them down.

18:40
'City punished us today'

Arsenal defender Kieran Tierney speaking to Sky Sports: "It was very tough. We didn't start well and in the end that killed us. You can't afford to do that against a team like City.

"It's hard to say what it was [the slow start]. It can happen against a top team and they punished us today.

"You have to think positive. If you go 1-0 down it's not the end of the world. We had chances and in some parts did really well so we were unlucky not to get a goal.

"Every part of the pitch is important. Unfortunately for us they came out on top. It was a tough game. I wasn't sure if I would get the full game but it's 90 minutes and I'm happy the manager gave me the chance again."

MuEN
Player Ratings

Ederson 7, Cancelo 6, Dias 8, Stones 9, Zinchenko 7, Fernandinho (C) 8, Gundogan 6, Bernardo 7, Mahrez 7, De Bruyne* 7, Sterling 7
SUBS Jesus* 7,

18:41
'We've started to dig results out'

Manchester City goalscorer Raheem Sterling, speaking to Sky Sports: "I think we moved the ball well. Riyad [Mahrez] was really aggressive in the first five minutes and we kept the pressure on.

"They’re a good team – you can see how they play under Mikel [Arteta] and we struggled at times, but we kept our composure and ground out a result.

"Mikel’s worked with us for plenty of years and knows our strengths and weaknesses. It wouldn’t surprise me if they tried to find weaknesses in our team.

"We had a difficult start of the season – something we’re not used to. Credit to the team, we’ve started to dig results out. You have to do that when it really matters, that’s what makes a title-winning team."

On scoring with his head: "Whenever I score a headed goal it’s an extra buzz. This one was a bit of a better leap. I was just happy to score."

18:45
'I've scored a few'

Manchester City's Raheem Sterling is asked about the "rare" headed goal on BBC 5 live: "It's not rare, I've scored a few in my time, but not many. It's a real special one when I get my head on it so I'm real happy with that one.

"I didn't know where it was going to land, but you have to be in the box to score it and that's exactly what I've done there, tried to anticipate where Riyad [Mahrez] was going to put it and it was right on my head."

18:47
'We were comfortable'

Manchester City goalscorer Raheem Sterling, speaking to BBC Match of the Day: "It was a difficult game. Arsenal played well and caused us problems.

"I thought we were comfortable, but you know Arsenal can hurt you with the players they have."

On his header: "It's not about size, it’s about timing. The ball landed more towards my side and I just had to time it really well."

On City's winning run: "We knew it was a difficult start to the season. We knew we just needed to give our all.

"It wasn’t all sunny days. We’ve had to grind out lots of 1-0 wins throughout the season and it’s another one here today. We just had to keep grinding out those wins and now we’re in a better position for it."

Opta stats - So solid City
  • Manchester City have equalled the record for consecutive away wins by an English top-flight team across all competitions (11), which was previously set by Pep Guardiola's side between May and November 2017.
  • Manchester City are unbeaten in their last 25 games across all competitions (W22 D3) - their second-longest run without defeat under Pep Guardiola, following a 28-game spell between April and December 2017.
  • This was Manchester City's 15th clean sheet in the Premier League this season - the most by a team after 25 games of a top-flight campaign since 2008-09, when both Manchester United (19) and Chelsea (15) had as many.
  • Manchester City's Raheem Sterling is the third player to score in three consecutive away games against Arsenal in the Premier League, after Nicolas Anelka (four games ending in May 2009) and Ian Harte (three games ending in May 2003).
  • Manchester City's opener after 75 seconds was the first time they've scored in the opening two minutes of a Premier League game since December 2019, which was also away at Arsenal (Kevin De Bruyne after 89 seconds).
  • Arsenal have lost their last four Premier League games against Manchester City without scoring a goal. This is the first time in their history they have failed to score in four consecutive home league games against an opponent.

Last edited:
18:48
'Lacked quality to score'

Arsenal manager Mikel Arteta speaking to Sky Sports: "When we conceded the first goal it put us in a difficult situation. It was tough. With the formation and the players they use they are really comfortable. After that the team reacted really well, were on top of the game and created chances but we lacked the quality in those situations to score the goal.

"We got something wrong. We didn't do it in the first 10 minutes. It's a cross and Raheem Sterling cannot head a ball there. You cannot concede that goal. It was a tactical thing that we were prepared for but we didn't read it in the game.

"We got momemtum and confidence and were really good on the ball as well. We found good spaces but when we were in the final third we didn't pick the right pass to score a goal. We tried to use some weaknesses that we thought we could exploit. They don't have many! How they compete when they have in the last few minutes, they are a top side.

"Today they played a little bit differently but within that organisation they can do lots of really good things. They manage the situation really well.

"We have a final on Thursday because we want to continue in the competition [Europa League]. We have to sleep, eat and we won't have time to train then we fly to Greece."

On Rob Holding: "Yes he is okay."

Sky Player Ratings.
Ederson (6), Cancelo (6), Dias (8), Stones (8), Zinchenko (7), Silva (7), Fernandinho (8), Gundogan (6), Mahrez (7), De Bruyne (7), Sterling (7).

Subs: Jesus (6).

Man of the Match: Ruben Dias

18:58
'We suffered a lot'

Manchester City boss Pep Guardiola, speaking to Sky Sports: "It was hard like we expected it would be. We suffered a lot. It’s difficult to play against Arsenal and Mikel [Arteta], that’s why I give the players incredible credit for this victory.

"Mikel knows everything. He’s so good. It’s not because he’s my friend. He’s so clever. I learn a lot watching his teams. Today I learned something that I can use in the future. He knows everything about football.

"People look at our run of wins and think it’s so easy. I didn’t expect it. I’m more than grateful for these players for what they’re doing, but winning these games 1-0 is what we need to do.

"The last 10-15 minutes was brilliant. We didn’t push the action, the action came through the passes and movements in the right tempo.

"At half-time we adjusted our pressing and won a lot of balls. In the first half we could not. The second half was better. We didn’t create chances but enough to win the game.

"Fernandinho commanded absolutely everything in the middle. We need everyone. Now having a game every three days with travel, I’m going to have to rotate the team. It’s impossible to sustain this rhythm.

"We now have four games in a row in the Premier League. We know what we want to do. We want to make a big step."

Never going to be an easy game. Arteta knows Pep well and they worked hard. We had some good chances to expand our lead but failed to capitalise on some of their mistakes.

But that was the sixth away match out of the last eight and all great sides squeak out 1-0 victories when they need them.

19:11
'The run has been incredible - I could not expect it'

Manchester City manager Pep Guardiola talking to BBC Radio 5 Live: "It was brilliant. It was a real tough game, one of the toughest, for the way that they play, the quality and ideas that they have. It is so difficult and we did it.

"The first 15-20 minutes were incredibly good and after that they were better - they were much better at the end of the first half and we suffered. At half-time we changed something in the pressing, and the way that we played was more controlled.

"We're only thinking about the next one. The run has been incredible - I could not expect it, but that is good."

19:16
'We like this result'

Manchester City manager Pep Guardiola speaking to BBC MOTD: "They are aggressive with one-to-one pressing. They move really well in the pockets and speed from the sides. It's so difficult to play against. We knew today would be one of the toughest ones but we scored early and we could control it.

"The first 10-15 minutes were so good then the next half an hour they were much better than us. The feeling is that they are close. In the second half, we needed something to be more effective in our pressing and we were much better.

"Of course, we could score the second and the third but we scored then they defend well. It's so difficult to play Arsenal and Mikel [Arteta]. He knows our players so well. It is not easy to play and we play so, so calm and intelligent. It was a good game.

"Every game you are not going to win games 2-0, 3-0, 4-0, sometimes when you win 1-0 it is so good. We have to realise what we are doing is so difficult. It is a struggle, a fight, behind the ball and that is why we like this result.

"It is one more, one more. We think all the time the next one. That is now Champions League, then West Ham at home. One at a time. 39 points to play. We have 10 up front. So we have to win."