Arsenal-Manchester City League (Carabao) Cup Post Match Thread | Page 2 | Vital Football

Arsenal-Manchester City League (Carabao) Cup Post Match Thread

22:29
'I have fighters in my team'
FT: Arsenal 1-4 Manchester City

Arsenal manager Mikel Arteta, speaking to Sky Sports: "Against this level of opponent they penalise you and make it very difficult.

"We have a great counter-attack moment but they then score in an offside position and you end up losing the game again.

"It’s a hard one to take considering how the game went. This level of opponent, when you give the goals away it makes the game impossible. A lot of strange things are happening in every game and that makes things really difficult.

"We have to turn it around round - there is no question with the fixtures we have it’s going to decide our season.

"On the basis of what we have shown tonight against difficult opponents, I have fighters in my team. Yes, I have fighters."

22:38
'Big mistake' if Arteta not trusted - Guardiola

Here's more from Pep Guardiola on Arsenal boss Mikel Arteta on BBC Radio 5 Live: "They will do a huge, big mistake if they... I’m pretty sure they are going to trust him. I understand for the analysts, analyse the results. But I was with him many years and I know his incredible quality as a human being and especially as a manager, how he is involved in everything. It’s just a question of time and he will do well.

"I’m not on the board. For me they will do a big mistake if they are thinking… They give him the confidence, they won two titles when for a long time ago it didn’t happen at this club. In this pandemic situation, with injury problems they have and the games they played always they played good.

"But unfortunately these games is our job and it depends on the results. But football changes in one week so quick.

"I can speak about my experience alongside him, one of the most incredible successful teams in English history we had and he was part of this success and it would not be possible without him, and to create something like this you need time like I had in my first season."

22:18
'The second half we had more fluidity'

Manchester City boss Pep Guardiola on Sky Sports: "Both teams need to score goals, we score four. We changed the set-up, they score a good goal, after the second half we had more fluidity. The second goal was helped, the third maybe offside, so that makes a difference. After 3-1 it is a completely different game.

"We put another player in the position we can make it dangerous. We score a goal, we had a good moment, didn't suffer and they could not make passes in a row, but they changed, pressed better. The second half we adjusted and were a little bit more comfortable.

"The last two or three years we have scored a lot of goals and this year we struggle, but of course goals are important.

"It is good for the rhythm for the players that haven't played. For four years in a row we are in the semi-finals which is a good achievement in this competition."

we have discussed this numerous times here where Pep plays 2 defensive midfielders which hinders the attacking side, Pep changes it and sticks with our old stalwart Ferna and we start scoring, let’s hope this continues however Arsenal were poor

Arsenal were horrible - a petty niggly team still full of divers and actors who badgered the officials from the kick off.......a reflection of their manager I feel who was never averse to leaving his foot in a bit longer than was strictly necessary. Glad we put them to the sword.

Sky
Player ratings
Man City: Steffen (7), Cancelo (7), Dias (7), Laporte (8), Zinchenko (7), Rodrigo (7), Fernandinho (7), Bernardo (7), Mahrez (8), Foden (8), Jesus (7).

Subs: Torres (6), Aguero (6), Walker (n/a).

Man of the Match: Riyad Mahrez

I think Ferna was just fending him off and if he hadn't bent his head he would have just pushed his chest, but to go down like that was an attempt to get Ferna sent off
I can remember a certain City CB who no longer plays for us going down like a sack of lead, so they all try it on.

Sky
Player ratings
Man City: Steffen (7), Cancelo (7), Dias (7), Laporte (8), Zinchenko (7), Rodrigo (7), Fernandinho (7), Bernardo (7), Mahrez (8), Foden (8), Jesus (7).

Subs: Torres (6), Aguero (6), Walker (n/a).

Man of the Match: Riyad Mahrez
Laporte did score, but he was at fault for the Arse goal, so only a 7 for me. (Picky I know)