Arsen Wenger | Vital Football

Arsen Wenger

Vambogills

Vital Football Hero
To leave Arsenal at end of season. Half of there fans will be delighted half will be dispondent. Who could replace him? His name was over half of the name of the club. His was the name you can clearly hear sung at the very beginning of Lion King.
End of an era for sure. Apologies for missing the e off his name but I can't seem to wdit it!

It's the end of an era, no one else will hold the manager's post as long as he has in this current climate of football.

I'm not an Arsenal fan but I can see that he did some great things for the English game, bringing it into the 21st century with increased focus on player fitness, health and lifestyle. And what he did with the invincibles team of 2004 was superb.

It's a sad situation really, I don't think Wenger has done anything wrong. He's just had trouble adapting to changes in a fiercely competitive football market, changes which have seen many of Arsenal's big rivals spend big and overtake them to push them out of England's elite few: first it was Chelsea, then Man City, then Spurs, even Man Utd have steadied the ship after having a bit of a wobble for a few seasons. Arsenal weren't able to keep up with them and eventually got left behind.

So who's up next for them? Heard it might be Joachim Loew (although this wasn't from a 'reliable source within the club').

Wenger had an undistinguished playing career, although he faired a bit better in management. He'll be very difficult to replace especially as many will want to see the Arsenal tradition continue. If it's to be another long term appointment, I'd go for Eddie Howe.

Spot on RainhamGill. Great manager in his day - had his time and likewise I doubt that no manager in the foreseeable future in the Prem will last as long at 1 club. Arsenal have always been tight with the purse strings - seem to want success without paying mega bucks. Regardless he will be a hard act to follow.