Arise Tom Pett | Vital Football

Arise Tom Pett

imps_joe

Vital Football Hero
Has his introduction into the team made us more formidable?

He surprised me with the amount of work he does and the amount of ugly stuff he involves himself in. He’s kind of taken on the woodyard role, perhaps not as effective, but he offers more going forward. His introduction has really freed up space in midfield for players like O’connor, Freck and McCarten.

At the beginning of the season I wouldn’t have had him in my starting 11, but now he’s hard to leave out! Has there been a player that has surprised you more?

I think also that he has benefited from the change in role afforded him by the management. When he came in he was considered as a wide midfielder/support attacker. Central midfield suits him very well and he is now someone who is one of the first names on the team sheet

There are many great things about the Cowleys' management, but their ability to improve players is something that really sets them apart. The emergence of Pett has been great to see, as was their transformation of Luke Waterfall from a clogging, unreliable non-league centre-back to a dominant leader. Will be watching with interest to see what he can do with the likes of Akinde, Toffolo and Luque over the coming months.

Pett had the pedigree when he arrived, it was (for me) primarily a case of getting 'on method' and finding his best role, the goal v Yeovil was a good way of ending the season. After a full pre season he's now on method and found his most effective role, QED.

Agree it will be interesting to see how the summer's signings progress, Akinde has already gone from dud to world class!

Re the theme of the original post - Ollie Palmer? Most dubious track record of the 2017 summer signings, in the autumn 'he couldn't head, couldn't shoot', yet a bit of a cult hero by the time he left.

Further back, GTF arrived with the accolade of having just been voted 'Orient's worst player', Big Keith realised his potential.

And strict interpretation of 'most surprising player' I give you Patrick Kanyuka :eek!:though 'player' probably disqualifies him.

There are many great things about the Cowleys' management, but their ability to improve players is something that really sets them apart. The emergence of Pett has been great to see, as was their transformation of Luke Waterfall from a clogging, unreliable non-league centre-back to a dominant leader. Will be watching with interest to see what he can do with the likes of Akinde, Toffolo and Luque over the coming months.

*grins mischievously* I thought the Cowley's were lucky in the platform they inherited?

I wasn't quite sure where to place Pett because he didn't come across as a CM or a wide player last season.

This season he seems to be playing in a slightly more advanced CM position without being a McCartan type number 10.

I wasn't quite sure where to place Pett because he didn't come across as a CM or a wide player last season.

This season he seems to be playing in a slightly more advanced CM position without being a McCartan type number 10.
Trying to be best of both worlds. Probably a good position for the away matches.

Pett had the pedigree when he arrived, it was (for me) primarily a case of getting 'on method' and finding his best role, the goal v Yeovil was a good way of ending the season. After a full pre season he's now on method and found his most effective role, QED.

Agree it will be interesting to see how the summer's signings progress, Akinde has already gone from dud to world class!

Re the theme of the original post - Ollie Palmer? Most dubious track record of the 2017 summer signings, in the autumn 'he couldn't head, couldn't shoot', yet a bit of a cult hero by the time he left.

Further back, GTF arrived with the accolade of having just been voted 'Orient's worst player', Big Keith realised his potential.

And strict interpretation of 'most surprising player' I give you Patrick Kanyuka :eek!:though 'player' probably disqualifies him.

I think Akinde was only seen as a dud to a deluded few. He has been a top lower league or non league striker for 4 or 5 years. He was always going to be a top player once he got match fit but agree The Cowleys will make him even better

Like most of us entering a new job it takes time to establish yourself. The football fan can be an impatient animal at times.

One think I like about Pett is the extra pace in the central areas. We've got lots of good old heads in central midfield who know how to play the game, but Pett has an extra half a yard. He had some really good runs against is at Stevenage away last year from central but it didn't quite work so well last year. I imagine the goal against Yeovil to get is in the playoff helped give him some confidence and he's looked great so far.

freck looked pretty quick outpacing the exeter midfield and defence from the halfway line on saturday

What I like most about Pett is his turning circle, it reminds me a bit of David Silva .... that said he’s playing in the same position as McCartan who is equally as good in early viewings.

The term 'Lincoln fit' comes into play with all of the players being discussed here. It is becoming obvious that the degree of fitness expected at Lincoln differs significantly to that of other clubs. Frecklington, Pett, Akinde - they all looked off the pace to begin with, but the performance levels being demonstrated by Freck and Pett now are indicative of what we can expect when any new player is fully fit.