Are you religious because of or inspite of? | Page 4 | Vital Football

Are you religious because of or inspite of?

In a sense, Fear, we are all sometimes hypocritical because, being human, we don't always behave by the standards we espouse. We are human, after all. However, it's evil when people (whether in a religious institution or not) use their authority to exercise unrighteous control over others.

BBJ - 5/2/2014 12:38

In a sense, Fear, we are all sometimes hypocritical because, being human, we don't always behave by the standards we espouse. We are human, after all. However, it's evil when people (whether in a religious institution or not) use their authority to exercise unrighteous control over others.

Yes, Fear does get carried away with the power he has on this Forum sometimes, I agree. :67:

A prime example of an Evil organisation

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-26044852

The UN watchdog for children's rights denounced the Holy See for adopting policies allowing priests to sexually abuse thousands of children.

It heavily criticised the Vatican's attitudes towards homosexuality, contraception and abortion.

HeathfieldRoad1874 - 5/2/2014 12:49

BBJ - 5/2/2014 12:38

Yes, Fear does get carried away with the power he has on this Forum sometimes, I agree. :67:

The power is intoxicating!

:66:

Yup, agreed BBJ

I believe that life, the universe and ( ahem ) everything is governed by certain laws that I am aware of but are beyond my understanding, and therefore I accept there is a grand design we are components of...if that means I have religion so be it...but a dude in a white gown sporting a big white beard that dictates existance and ultimately judges each mortals life? Not for me but what the hell do I know? Ive still got faith we can still sneak a top ten spot

Never really categorised myself. Me and my siblings all went to a RC Primary School on Trinity Road, Aston when we were growing up. This was more down to it being a good school, rather than it being catholic. When we moved up to Great barr in 1998, i moved to another catholic primary school, this was then due to me being used to how a catholic school is... small, not many pupils etc and i just felt comfortable somewhere like that. I remember we had to sing hymns and have mass and a morning assembly where we talked about God every day. Never really bothered me though, i never took it in like i really believed it. For high school i followed my friends and went to Stuart Bathurst RC High School in Wednesbury, loved it there.

I'm not catholic, so had a bit of a struggle to get into those schools at the time. I always participated in the religious events but i never got into them properly. The good thing about catholic schools is the little community feeling that you get. You don't get it with larger schools but its nice. They are friendly schools, very friendly. And its what i enjoyed.

Majority of my friends are all Catholic, not practicing by any means but i went to a party last week at the church hall adjoined to the church in which i went to primary school and it was nice. Everyone is welcoming, even if you don't believe much. I do think attitudes have moved on, Catholic people would really have trouble welcoming people who don't believe or are gay or whatever years back but i do think attitudes have changed in these communities and whenever i do go to these places, i don't feel uncomfortable. Some of my good friends parents are staunch catholics and yet all love me! Haha

I'm like Jim, i don't mind it all without being religious. For instance, i went to Midnight Mass on Christmas Eve at St Margarets C of E church in Great Barr, its where we were all christened and my parents were married. And my sister was married. I enjoyed it, without being at the forefront of it all. So no, wouldn't call myself religious but i don't mind parts of it.

I'm like Jim, i don't mind it all without being religious. For instance, i went to Midnight Mass on Christmas Eve at St Margarets C of E church in Great Barr, its where we were all christened and my parents were married. And my sister was married. I enjoyed it, without being at the forefront of it all. So no, wouldn't call myself religious but i don't mind parts of it.

Would this not indicate that you are religious?

whitey76 - 5/2/2014 23:14

I believe that life, the universe and ( ahem ) everything is governed by certain laws that I am aware of but are beyond my understanding, and therefore I accept there is a grand design we are components of...if that means I have religion so be it...but a dude in a white gown sporting a big white beard that dictates existance and ultimately judges each mortals life? Not for me but what the hell do I know? Ive still got faith we can still sneak a top ten spot

Perfectly put, the idea that there is a god who will judge humans one day doesn't come from god, it comes from humans, that's not evidence. The same people that believe that will also pour scorn on Mormons and Scientology who's faiths are no less ludicrous than Christianity or Islam, but are more recent in their inception.

They are all bollocks basically. I'm not saying, like you said, that I know why and how we here or that a greater force isn't at play but I prefer to go on hard facts and not stories written hundreds of years ago in times where people could write what they wanted, pretty much unchallenged until more recent times.

Green Tea - 6/2/2014 11:42

No, he's saying that although he doesn't consider himself religious, he still enjoys certain practices of religious tradition.

thefacehead - 6/2/2014 16:52

No, he's saying that although he doesn't consider himself religious, he still enjoys certain practices of religious tradition.

A bit like some Catholic priests you mean ? :10:

Bought up in the church, in an intermediate time of the 60's/70's. Lots of secrets and lies around my childhood so it was all superficial. I always had a pull towards a spiritual life and was always searching.

I did turn away from faith. Did the normal thing of funerals and weddings. Didn't really have anytime to think about it though did dib in and out of looking at various spiritual ways of life from pagan and so on.

Came back to faith as what they call now 'born again' from 2003 onwards. My faith has grown up as what I was bought up with was a mess. I am not a literalist. Interpretational Christian I suppose you would call it who believes no 1 faith has the monopoly on being right. I believe all things entwine.

No correct vote for me so I didn't vote. If I was to add an option it would be 'bought up religious, turned away and came back to Christianity on different terms'

Not really, i like the traditional feeling of some churches, but i don't abide or follow any religious rules or laws. If you told me right now i couldn't visit a church again, it wouldn't bother me, so no, i'm not religious.

I went from being somewhat religious until I was like 14 to, I would suppose agnosticism... I dont really believe or disbelieve in a God its unknownable it cant be proven...

My issues have always been the organised side of it my mother would even tell you that... I wanted nothing to do with communion or confirmation and hated going to church for anything... Funnily enough for all the times I was made go I cant recall ever being in a church on Xmas eve or day...

I robbed a few little phrases over the years which she never liked to hear:
The plain and simple 'If there is a God I doubt he's taking attendance' or a favourite "Anyone who thinks sitting in church can make you a Christian must also think that sitting in a garage can make you a car"

SKEGGY - 31/1/2014 01:40

thefacehead - 30/1/2014 17:00

SKEGGY - 30/1/2014 16:33

Anyone who has had their child baptised then states they're not religious is probably the biggest hypocrite out.

Who has said this?

No one on here. But it's a regular occurrence and raising the subject adds to the dymantics of the debate.

Some selective schools, in Australia at least, require that the child is baptised as part of acceptance and enrollment. I assume it would be very similar in Australia. I know that is part of the reason some parents baptise children.

I do agree it is a bit of a cop-out though.

Yes, for me, if I'd had kids, I'd have wanted to have a naming ceremony and would have left the kids to decide later if they wanted to be religious and get baptised.

A former friend of the family was a real bible basher. He went to his church every Sunday, got involved in the church's projects and was as we thought a thoroughly decent person (provided you agreed with his philosophy on life etc). But he showed his true colours on a few occassions and after the first one we were abit more wary of him. Eventually he became a very aggressive and shady character the more we disagreed on things. For someone who was supposed to be a decent christian person he dispised all religions other than his chosen one. He would spout vile and abusive rants about the Pope, and catholics and jews in particular. He hated everyone who wasn't English or white. My wife used to enjoy watching stuff like Most Haunted and it is her choice to believe that there is such a thing as the spirit world, and if she wants to sail with that idea, I let her. But one time this friend called round to see us, saw what we were watching and went ballistic saying that the missus was a heathen and that she will burn in hell etc. Needless to say I told him to go home and not be so disrespectful. On another occassion, he was round our house one New Years Eve and when the wife put the Hogmanay show on he promptly got up and turned our tv off saying that we had no reason to watch that cos none of us were "smelly jocks". This was a guy who quoted the bible at every opportunity he got yet was as unchristian in his views as anyone could be. Eventually the truth came out about him when he did a moonlit flit from his partner of 3 years and didn't even have the decency to tell her to her face he was going. The man hid behind the bible to mask his true nature. He left that poor woman all his debts and put her into serious financial difficulties that took months to resolve before the debtors left her alone. I choose not to follow any religious path. As long as I treat others the way I would like others to treat me, then I see no need for seeking a guidance from some deity that I can neither confirm nor deny has ever existed.

But if God does exist can he kindly get Lambert sacked......

starchild65 - 9/2/2014 16:08

But one time this friend called round to see us, saw what we were watching and went ballistic saying that the missus was a heathen and that she will burn in hell etc.

I hope not cos that's were I'm probably headed, I don't want nagging in the afterlife as well. :17: :17: :17: :19: :19:

Yeah, a family 'friend' was a born again, she told my mom I was being punished by god for my sins after my brain op.

Suffice to say it was lucky I wasn't there at the time and also suffice to say they weren't family friends after.

However, these are the extreme nuts, there are good uns out there as well!