Are you religious because of or inspite of? | Vital Football

Are you religious because of or inspite of?

thefacehead

Vital Football Hero
First off are you religious? If so, are you from a religious background or was it something you found later in life. Or did you start life religious and then turn your back on it. Have you never been religious?

No, was my choice. I was allowed to make my own mind up and ended up with more questions than answers so became a Jedi.

What is religiuos ? :3:

Never been and don`t suppose i ever will be religious,except for once in about 1973 ish when we played Bristol or someone like that and i shut my eyes and prayed for a Villa goal.I heard the roar,opened my eyes and we scored ! (True story)

I was brought up in a school that taught bible stories, sang hymns in assembley, had nativity plays etc... but it wasnt officially a faith school (ie: it didnt have RC or CofE in it's title).

Thesedays I'm still questionning it all - I wouldnt say I'm an atheist as I'm far too accomodating of religious folk and much too laid back and passive to be one of those. But I'm not God squad either - I'm somewhere in the middle.

I'd happily go to a church, mass, synagogue, temple or mosque and listen and digest, without feeling I'm being brainwashed, getting sweaty palms or criticising/patronising anyone else.

Is that allowed?

As much I enjoyed nativity plays and the story I am not religious at all. ALso it annoys me when people get their chilldren christened when they are not religious just becuase they see it as something to do.

Don't know... !

Went to school where they tried to pass faith off as fact. Mom believes, dad doesn't.

So not sure if I was brought up religious or not really. Not sure how you define that.

Not now...

James06 - 30/1/2014 15:13

I was brought up in a school that taught bible stories, sang hymns in assembley, had nativity plays etc... but it wasnt officially a faith school (ie: it didnt have RC or CofE in it's title).

Thesedays I'm still questionning it all - I wouldnt say I'm an atheist as I'm far too accomodating of religious folk and much too laid back and passive to be one of those. But I'm not God squad either - I'm somewhere in the middle.

I'd happily go to a church, mass, synagogue, temple or mosque and listen and digest, without feeling I'm being brainwashed, getting sweaty palms or criticising/patronising anyone else.

Is that allowed?

Absolutely, and what a lovely attitude to have. I have burned down my last church now lol.

With you on your first point, I had a similar schooling that was not a faith school but certainly was very pro the teachings of Christianity.

I was raised open minded, was never force fed Christianity but I was Christened, I went to Sunday school when I was very young, so I put that I was brought up religious but no longer am.

I think Britain is a country that is probably near the top of non religious countries, will look it up.

The Fear - 30/1/2014 15:34

Don't know... !

Went to school where they tried to pass faith off as fact. Mom believes, dad doesn't.

So not sure if I was brought up religious or not really. Not sure how you define that.

Not now...

I think we will need to put you in the corner with a pointy hat in that case :84:

Anyone who has had their child baptised then states they're not religious is probably the biggest hypocrite out.

Even when i have experienced people dying i have not been able to believe. I tried but i just could not kid myself. I would rather a harsh truth than a comfortable lie.

thefacehead - 30/1/2014 17:00

SKEGGY - 30/1/2014 16:33

Anyone who has had their child baptised then states they're not religious is probably the biggest hypocrite out.

Who has said this?

No one on here. But it's a regular occurrence and raising the subject adds to the dymantics of the debate.

I went to a School where singing Hymns and saying prayers was compulsory, and all the big family events like Weddings were centred around the Church. I therefore spent most of my childhood in trouble for questioning it all.

That basically put me off, but later in life I did start to find the history and meaning of it all very interesting. I've probably read more about Christianity, and have a deeper understanding of it, than most Christians.

I was Christened as a baby, only went to church for weddings and funerals and went to a state school where we had the usual religious instruction, assemblies and such. Mid to late teens I decided that it was all very dubious so decided on agnosticism, not dismissive but not believing either (similar in many ways to how Jim describes his own thoughts) Things all changed through some personal experiences (no, no personal crisis or anything of that ilk) when I was 26, which lead to the developement of the faith I have today.

I still have some unresolved issues with Christian teachings and am working my way through them to find my own path but at the core is a solid belief in a single God and a Saviour sent to us whom we refer to as Jesus Christ.

I'm nothing and don't believe in it.

But my daughter is christened as I married a catholic girl.

When you I see anyone suffering , especially children I have major difficulty in believing that there's such thing as an all powerful God of any religion. You see a child who beats a disease and they say "thank god" really ? Why inflict the poor child to start with if he /she/ it has that much power.

Or , when a child like baby P died "oh he's with angels now" come on , where were these angels when those animals were beating the life out of him ?

Religion , right up there with money , is the major cause of conflicts all over the world.

Was brought up religious but I'm not now. Still attend mass when visiting my parents, but that's more for their benefit, than any belief on my part. They'd be disappointed if they thought I'd turned my back on it.

I wonder how many do go just so they don't upset the relatives?

Do you not get anything out of it at all NI? Is there even a glimmer of what they say that still registers?

Is it possible to go through infant/Primary level without being taught the basics, and singing hymns?

I assumed everyone trod that path in education.