Are we missing the fans more than most | Vital Football

Are we missing the fans more than most

Amazing the number of players, pundits, managers and fans who've picked up on our fans being twelfth man. Listened to Crouch a few weeks ago saying that the Lane was in his top two most intimidating atmospheres. Potechino also said the noise from the fans was unbelievable. So maybe it's a factor in our demise apart from some crap signings, Ramsdale excluded, and too many being found out in the Prem.

It’s one of a number of issues mahatma there’s no one single reason but mixed together they’ve created the perfect shit storm

Don’t want to start another thread so I’ll leave this here he’s one of our own and I’m sure this is hurting him as much if not more than all of us
incidently did anyone else go to this game I know I didn’t the least I can remember apart from pre season games was a midweek game at charlton in the mid to late 80s near the end of the season neither team had nothing to play for and the supporters club took 1 double decker coach which we didn’t fill southern based blades swelled our number to about 500 ish we sang with a cockney lilt which sounded really odd the game finished 0-0 and I got back home about 3 ish had a couple of hrs in bed before getting up for work I’d need 3 days to recover from that now anyway I digress (boredom) here’s the clip

As I said in a previous post in 75 years of supporting the Blades I never seen or enjoyed the 4 season's football. Yes this season to put it mildly is most disappointing and we have to take it and hope we have learned a very hard lesson. In hindsight a wonderful thing, mistakes were made in recruitment and before transfer windows were introduced this could have been remedied by buying and selling during the season. However we are where we are and lets hope for a successful entertaining style next season. From his latest interviews CW is feeling it just as much if not more than us.

Yes, we are definitely missing the crowds more than most - another mitigating factor - but we can't use it as an excuse.

Monday morning reflections from me are that I feel v sorry for CW - he is a victim of his own success in that we probably came up a season too early......but its been a nearly a year of hoofball now and I can't forgive him for that.

For me - it needs to stop now.
The recruitment - well fortunately the big buys are all young, and can still develop and improve - but let's play a style of football that will allow them to flourish please.

I would imagine all football clubs are missing the fans, but if you are a professional football club you adapt and overcome as other clubs have. It's a factor but there are more important reasons why this season has panned out like it has, hopefully they will be addressed in the coming months and we can move forward again.

Yes, we are definitely missing the crowds more than most - another mitigating factor - but we can't use it as an excuse.

Monday morning reflections from me are that I feel v sorry for CW - he is a victim of his own success in that we probably came up a season too early......but its been a nearly a year of hoofball now and I can't forgive him for that.

For me - it needs to stop now.
The recruitment - well fortunately the big buys are all young, and can still develop and improve - but let's play a style of football that will allow them to flourish please.
Aya, with the injuries we have had we have lost our overlapping CBs and that has changed us. I don't not blame CW but I'm not very fond of the Prince.

If the fans could have been sold we’d have been cashed in yonks ago.
Trouble is over many years we’ve been sold alreight...... but down the river.

Aya, with the injuries we have had we have lost our overlapping CBs and that has changed us. I don't not blame CW but I'm not very fond of the Prince.

Fair enough Chips - I think both sides have made mistakes - but its never too late and if we re-started playing the wonderful football that I remember from our early days in the Championship - I would forget the problems in a heartbeat.

The next few weeks are "free weeks" now - there is no point playing like we did at Craven Cottage again..........surely??

I posed this question on the match day thread yesterday. I think we are being affected more than most other PL clubs but not necessarily because we’ve got a better atmosphere at the Lane than other grounds. it that was the case why have we also been poor away from home? I think it’s because our players need the extra 10% push that vocal support gives them more than other teams in the PL. They‘re not technically gifted enough as a group at this stage to just go out and turn it on to the levels we are used to see them playing in a soulless empty stadium compared to other clubs. CV19 came along too early for us.

Last edited:
Fair enough Chips - I think both sides have made mistakes - but its never too late and if we re-started playing the wonderful football that I remember from our early days in the Championship - I would forget the problems in a heartbeat.

The next few weeks are "free weeks" now - there is no point playing like we did at Craven Cottage again..........surely??
Aya but we have lost too many players (and all our back 3) to injury so I don't expect us to play as you request. I don't want to score first and lose by 3 every game.

Last edited:
Aya but we have lost to many players (and all our back 3) to injury so I don't expect us to play as you request. I don't wnat to score first and lose by 3 every game.
Well that to me would be better than what we saw on sat chips I want us to walk out the front door like he said not slink out the back with our tails between our legs we’re Sheffield United loud and proud have a go or go home

Well that to me would be better than what we saw on sat chips I want us to walk out the front door like he said not slink out the back with our tails between our legs we’re Sheffield United loud and proud have a go or go home
OK Bully, you want us going out attacking but I want us to be competitve. Perhaps, in some games, we can do both.

Amazing the number of players, pundits, managers and fans who've picked up on our fans being twelfth man. Listened to Crouch a few weeks ago saying that the Lane was in his top two most intimidating atmospheres. Potechino also said the noise from the fans was unbelievable. So maybe it's a factor in our demise apart from some crap signings, Ramsdale excluded, and too many being found out in the Prem.
« some « crap signings?

Over 4 years we have had more good signings than crap signings but the last few have been spectacularly bad as they have cost millions but not produced the goods.

Aya but we have lost too many players (and all our back 3) to injury so I don't expect us to play as you request. I don't want to score first and lose by 3 every game.

I know Chips - but the hoofball tactic started way before then. We were playing it from the second half of last season. Its not for me - and I find it hard to believe we are that poor/injury hit that we needed to play it on Saturday - this is a situation of our own making.

OK Bully, you want us going out attacking but I want us to be competitve. Perhaps, in some games, we can do both.
We should be doing both in all games chips that’s part of the reason we are where we are cos we’re only half doing one,you can’t win the raffle if you don’t buy a ticket

Over 4 years we have had more good signings than crap signings but the last few have been spectacularly bad as they have cost millions but not produced the goods.
I am not sure that I would agree about those signings over the last two seasons.
Many are not considered Premiership quality (Robinson, McBurnie, Osborne, Burke, etc.), quite a few simply haven’t delivered (Brewster, McNurnie, etc.) and did we really need some of them (eg Berge, Freeman, even Ramsdale, etc.).
Maybe it was the ones we missed out on who would have made all the difference.