Are things looking up ? | Page 2 | Vital Football

Are things looking up ?

A week ago, we all would have accepted 4 points from the games against Millwall & Borough. 4 points we got, but not in the way we expected it - it's the same difference except at home we want to see us win and win in a manner of playing good football. The only pity is, our win at Borough was only witnessed by the odd 12/14 hundred or so.

There's a saying in football "You can only play what's in front of you" and because we have always been a footballing side (that likes to play the game in the proper manner) we are always going to get teams coming to the CG and try to knock us out of our stride - Warnock has been doing it for years.

We always play well against any team that wants to play FOOTBALL!!! but when it comes to the physical & long ball stuff, fans think we are not good enough and that's because we haven't got the players to deal with it. Our players train and practice their football skills which we all want to come and see.

Your Cardiff's - Sheff Utd. - QPR & Crystal Palace etc. all under Warnock only need to train two days a week. 1st. day - the physical bullying & thuggery - 2nd. day - punting the ball out of their own half into the oppositions!!!! To compete we need to adopt their tactics but unfortunately we haven't got the players for that so we deal with it the best we can.

Do we want to pay our money to see us play like some of our competitors - day in day out with very little entertainment - I'm not sure I do. Yes, we may have to toughen up, especially the Portuguese lads but only to take the knocks etc. because I want to see their skills on the ball like most of you do but other teams will want to kick them to knock them off of their game so let's give a little slack when we face the sides that come and get their point/s by beating us up or by playing kick & rush schoolboy football.

It's easy to criticise the style of football from other clubs, but few people at the Millwall game would say they had better individual players than us. Despite this we committed 18 fouls to their 11 (so we were the dirty team), they had 19 shots (9 on target) to our 7 (2 on target). To be honest I would rather watch football from a team that tries to get forward quickly, plays 2 up front, and gets crosses in to the strikers. No I wouldn't rather watch Millwall, but I'd rather watch a quality team trying to get forward than some of the tippy tappy football that has resulted in us getting no shots on target in entire games. Hopefully we have turned the corner, but we need a decent level of consistency to prove that we have.

The squad had a 60 min training match today with added players from the U23s and Lolley and Grabban linked up twice for goals coming on from the ‘boro match if these two can start building on this we’ll be unstoppable!

2 for Grabban & 1 for Lolley.... Murhpy, Cash and Gomis for the others.

I think Appiah & Gomis will get a chance this season - or - I hope they do!