Are City supporters taken for granted ? | Vital Football

Are City supporters taken for granted ?

DRAYTON GREEN

Vital Football Legend
I believe we are, and it appears that unusually the figures on ST 's sales for first deadline have not been released by the club. Maybe they are down and waiting list is now zero.

As I was watching MOTD on Saturday I started noticing the empty seats in many grounds
which lead me to take more notice of the attendance figures on screen at start of the highlights for each game. They appeared to be quite low for the clubs of our size so I looked at figures today and found out this fact :

Average attendance for 6 premier league games at Brighton, Burnley, Leicester, Southampton,
Swansea and Watford was 25, 665. Our attendance for last home game against Bolton
( a game against low side without large away support ) was 25,475.
So we are just 190 below the average of those 6 clubs who are playing big games every week.

Either their support is low or we are continuing to turn out week after week in large numbers despite seeing only 3 wins in last 6 months and watching tedious slow sideways football resulting in creating few chances.

So I would be interested in knowing how many ST 's were sold by the first deadline so see if it is habit to go ( as me ) or stopping due to amateur owners mistakes leading to a boring mid table championship campaign with another likely to follow.

Smiths and the Board have always taken it for granted that we will keep turning up. Mrs Smiths obnoxious and now infamous interview with the Times clearly showed her contempt for us with her statements . Of course Mrs Smith can afford to claim she doesn’t like the Premier League because she knows she can refuse to take the club forwards as we will all turn up even if we are in League One .
At the moment we all (I believe) like Farke and believe all will come good , so the issue of what our Board do , or don’t do is not an issue . But if we fail to go up and Farke and Webber walk away , then the old issues with the Board will resurface .
There is nothing like an empty stadium to spur owners and Boards into action

I remember very well when Smith and co took over the club...attendances were pathetic often around the 13,000 mark.

The kids for a quid paid dividends as it brought in the next generation of canary fans to our regular gates now of 25-27K
Someone somewhere has done something right.

I know we all desire greater things and demand success, but believe me it could have been so much worse...In fact we could have not existed.

Norwich City FC is a public limited company that, in 2003, comprised approximately 8,000 individual shareholdings.
Since purchasing their shares from Geoffrey Watling, Delia Smith and husband Michael Wynn-Jones have been joint majority shareholders.
At the 2006–07 Norwich City FC Annual General Meeting (on 18 January 2007) Smith and Wynn-Jones announced that they would be open to offers to buy their majority stake-holding in the club. However, they made clear that any prospective buyer would have to invest heavily in the squad, with regards to team improving.

“ The only way we would relinquish our shares is if somebody is going to put money into the football ... Only if they put money into the squad – not if they buy our shares, we don't want money. It has to be that there is money for the squad, serious money for the squad. ”
On 8 May 2007 the football club announced that Andrew and Sharon Turner had bought out all 5,000 shares belonging to former Board member, Barry Skipper and had given the club an interest-free loan of £2m. Mr and Mrs Turner are owners and directors of personal finance company Central Trust.

During July 2008 Peter Cullum declared that he was interested in a takeover of the club, and pledged that he would invest £20m for enhancement of the playing squad. On 8 July the EDP reported that Delia Smith and the board had invited Peter Cullum for talks. Reports later stated that the talks had been terminated with immediate effect, and no deal was to be reached.

On 2 September 2008, Andrew and Sharon Turner announced that they were leaving the football club's board of directors. This left a £2 million hole in Norwich City's budget. On 4 September 2008, Delia Smith and Michael Wynn-Jones announced that they would be injecting £2 million, avoiding financial problems for the club.

Are we taken for granted though?
Without a doubt!

I feel we are and it was not intended as an attack on the smiffs but more of a fact that we have attendances close to and more than many premier league clubs and at this point are not winning and playing in my opinion tedious football. We should be in the premier league.
It is easy to say we are ' the best supporters in the world ' and freeze season ticket prices but there must come a point when the attendances go down.
The binners barely get half our gates and like it or not have been ahead of us in league for most of the season.

I fully understood your points, and agree that something is very wrong somewhere and had to be put right, it beggars belief that our support our set up and infastructure is far superior to that lot down the road yet as you say are and have been above us in the league for the majority of this season...I assume I can take it that the Smiffs are not on YB`s Christmas card list though... :grin:

FFL ...I was not against her until recent times when we were lead to two totally unnecesssary relegations , but her infamous interview in the Times lead to realise that her determination not to allow the investment we so desperately need coupled with her desire to keep the club as some sort heirloom for Tom was the breaking point for me .

..... but as DG says , the Board and Owners are not really the issue at this moment .....what the issue is is getting us to score the goals and be an attacking exciting side to watch

As everybody knows I have had an issue with Smiffs and their appointments for many
years. However this is a situation where we have a large amount of season tickets holders appearing to be settling for second best. Sadly I could be classed as being amongst them.

fanforlife - 6/3/2018 01:30

I remember very well when Smith and co took over the club...attendances were pathetic often around the 13,000 mark.

The kids for a quid paid dividends as it brought in the next generation of canary fans to our regular gates now of 25-27K
Someone somewhere has done something right.

You have the excellent Andrew Cullen (now Executive Director at Milton Keynes FC) to thank for that.

fanforlife - 6/3/2018 01:30

“ The only way we would relinquish our shares is if somebody is going to put money into the football ... Only if they put money into the squad – not if they buy our shares, we don't want money. It has to be that there is money for the squad, serious money for the squad. ”

And Delia's interview in the Times showed that to be a load of * as the shares are being kept for nephew Tom. But to some of us it was no surprise to read this as some of us didn't fall for the * and there was a hint in an Ipswich fanzine.

fanforlife - 6/3/2018 09:29

I assume I can take it that the Smiffs are not on YB`s Christmas card list though... :grin:

Geoffrey Watling use to send out some cracking Christmas cards with a NCFC connection (my father use to get them).

yellow belly - 6/3/2018 11:56

..... but as DG says , the Board and Owners are not really the issue at this moment .....what the issue is is getting us to score the goals and be an attacking exciting side to watch

Strikers cost money so it is an issue.

Until its mention on here by YB I was not aware of `The Times Interview` or its content.
A brief insight would be good!

I’ve just had a quick look on my phone but can only find a short paragraph of what she’d said which sums it up to be honest (if I am thinking of the same interview?

“Were they unsuitable, or was Delia simply not interested in selling? What were the owners afraid of? Would someone buy the club, knock down Carrow Road and build a shopping centre? And if they did, so what? Maybe fans would get a nice, warm new stadium, which is more easily accessible and more comfortable than Carrow Road.

The message was clear in a now infamous interview in The Times a year ago.

“The supporters will be very disappointed to hear that. But no way will we sell. We don’t even listen to any enquiries,” she said. “Our nephew, Tom, is now a board director. He’s 35. He’s a very good board director. He’s a very passionate Norwich City supporter and he will be the recipient of our shares.””

http://www.edp24.co.uk/sport/norwich-city/norwich-city-ownership-1-5312251

Nathan_NCFC - 7/3/2018 14:11

I’ve just had a quick look on my phone but can only find a short paragraph of what she’d said which sums it up to be honest (if I am thinking of the same interview?

“Were they unsuitable, or was Delia simply not interested in selling? What were the owners afraid of? Would someone buy the club, knock down Carrow Road and build a shopping centre? And if they did, so what? Maybe fans would get a nice, warm new stadium, which is more easily accessible and more comfortable than Carrow Road.

The message was clear in a now infamous interview in The Times a year ago.

“The supporters will be very disappointed to hear that. But no way will we sell. We don’t even listen to any enquiries,” she said. “Our nephew, Tom, is now a board director. He’s 35. He’s a very good board director. He’s a very passionate Norwich City supporter and he will be the recipient of our shares.””

http://www.edp24.co.uk/sport/norwich-city/norwich-city-ownership-1-5312251

It makes me angry as well . This woman couldn’t care less about our club and its fans ....she is only interested in clinging on to the club so Nepotism Tom can continue to run his inheritance and Smith will have a legacy