Appreciation | Vital Football

Appreciation

Frankel Bucks

Vital Youth Team
Now it's all done and dusted i think a public thank you should somehow be done to the people that donated to the club to keep it afloat. Especially to the ex players and players from other clubs like Jermaine Defoe who took the time out with their generosity. Wigan Athletic owes a debt of gratitude to these guys and clubs like Charlton Athletic who from 2021 onwards should forever be linked to each other with a mutual friendship and respect. Also a big well done to the fans who donated their hard earned wages to the cause. Today is a day to celebrate for many reasons. Well done to everyone involved in the club.

Agree with most of it, but don't get the arse licking of Charlton. If Barnsley hadn't scored in the 88th minute on the final day of last season, it would have been them who would have been all sympathetic with us and Charlton trying to have us pay their legal bills and their fans wishing us bust.

Football fans are your best friends until your troubles effect their club. Then they wouldn't piss on you if you were on fire. So any other football club can fuck right off for me. If they go into admin, I hope we swoop in and and steal a good player from it. It's dog eat dog, Latics against the world and fuck the rest.

Agree with most of it, but don't get the arse licking of Charlton. If Barnsley hadn't scored in the 88th minute on the final day of last season, it would have been them who would have been all sympathetic with us and Charlton trying to have us pay their legal bills and their fans wishing us bust.

Football fans are your best friends until your troubles effect their club. Then they wouldn't piss on you if you were on fire. So any other football club can fuck right off for me. If they go into admin, I hope we swoop in and and steal a good player from it. It's dog eat dog, Latics against the world and fuck the rest.
I think that's harsh CL Charlton have been through similar to us and have an empathy that other clubs (especially Barnsley) clearly do not.
Through all of this only 3 clubs Charlton, Accy and Fulham have meaningfully supported us.
Fans of other clubs, even Bolton !, have been with us actual club owners less so.
The wider "football family" message is bollocks and hope when the next one gets the Latics treatment little sympathy should be forthcoming IMO

I think that's harsh CL Charlton have been through similar to us and have an empathy that other clubs (especially Barnsley) clearly do not.
Through all of this only 3 clubs Charlton, Accy and Fulham have meaningfully supported us.
Fans of other clubs, even Bolton !, have been with us actual club owners less so.
The wider "football family" message is bollocks and hope when the next one gets the Latics treatment little sympathy should be forthcoming IMO
My point stands though Hampton. Had Charlton finished in 21st place rather than Barnsley, their fans wouldn't have pissed on us if we were on fire regardless of what they were going through, any Charlton fan (or Latics fan) that denies that are kidding themselves for me.

I agree with you on Fulham though, I'll make an exception for them. A super club and very much the Wigan of the south in terms of their journey from the bottom tier under a local owner amid derision from the rest of the football world regarding their small fanbase. The only difference is that they were lucky enough to be sold to similarly good owners in the Khan family, ourselves not so much, although let's keep everything crossed that we've struck gold here.

My point stands though Hampton. Had Charlton finished in 21st place rather than Barnsley, their fans wouldn't have pissed on us if we were on fire regardless of what they were going through, any Charlton fan (or Latics fan) that denies that are kidding themselves for me.

I agree with you on Fulham though, I'll make an exception for them. A super club and very much the Wigan of the south in terms of their journey from the bottom tier under a local owner amid derision from the rest of the football world regarding their small fanbase. The only difference is that they were lucky enough to be sold to similarly good owners in the Khan family, ourselves not so much, although let's keep everything crossed that we've struck gold here.
Maybe I am kidding myself then but I do believe the Charlton fans have been top class and would hope that would have been the same if they had stayed up or not.
When we are able and in the same division I will defo be going to Craven Cottage, The Valley and the Wham to show my appreciation

Maybe I am kidding myself then but I do believe the Charlton fans have been top class and would hope that would have been the same if they had stayed up or not.
When we are able and in the same division I will defo be going to Craven Cottage, The Valley and the Wham to show my appreciation
Unfortunately I don't think we'll be playing Fulham again for a very long time. A shame because it truly is one of the best days out at probably the best ground in the country.

I respectfully disagree C_Latic re Charlton. They were behind us from day one, well before the final outcome of last season was known. Their fans were extremely active in their own #SaveCAFC campaign at the time when our troubles hit and many many of them got behind the #SaveWAFC campaign as well. The number and value of donations to the crowdfunder dwarfed any other club fan base. They forged solidarity in a common shared experience of nightmare ownership, irrespective of on field / league table rivalry, and I for one will be eternally grateful to them. We are both entitled to our opinions C_Latic, but you'll never change mine on this one.

I think this last nine months has given the majority of us a shake and woken us up. I would certainly think again before gloating about the misfortune of any club and will put my voice behind the fans of any club that gets in to trouble, and when the banks start asking for money back there will be more. Even clubs in the past like Bolton who bought promotion with cash they didn't have, have their decent fans who are at the brunt of some crazy ownership deals. Fans are what this is about. Sheff Wednesday and Derby County have owners who have lead the clubs to the brink. Their fans too could soon be going through what we have been through. No such luck for Bury and Macc.
Thanks to everyone who have backed us through this.

I'd also add Leeds fans to that short list, I've changed my mind about them after their support during the early days of admin and with the crowdfunder contributions.

Barnsley fans where slagging us off before we got relegated from championship. They just got worse after it and have become obsessed now. Where charlton have been nowt but class from the beginning hence why they put by far the most money into the crowdfunders of any other clubs fans.

Another cracking bloke who has been vociferous in his support for us.
Zach from North Ferriby. His club North Ferriby United were wound up for debts of £7,645.25.
Good luck to North Ferriby the newly formed club whose fans with the help of Zach helped raise money for us. An incredible act. Hope we play them and Charlton next pre season, and may they rise Phoenix like.

Last edited: