Any Gas Engineers on here? | Vital Football

Any Gas Engineers on here?

DeanoVilla

One Bloody Number
Had a call from the estate agent earlier regarding my property that I rent out.

They have done the annual Gas Safety check but reckon it has failed because there is a child in the house and there is no 'fixed fire guard' on the fire in the lounge.

They want to charge me £95!!!!!!!

I told them I'd shop around, but after a quick google search I now have 2 questions...

1. What the fcuk is a 'fixed' fire guard? Surely if its fixed you wouldn't be able to access the fire in order to switch it on/off? I can't find any on google.

2. Is this reg actually real? Again I can't find any reference to it on google.

Are you missing a block on the front of the fire itself?

Can't imagine they mean a normal fire guard as that's up to the parents?

Well no the fire isn't missing any pieces as far as I know.

I thought the same as you about it being up to the parents but then thought it actually wouldn't surprise me in this health & safety crazy world of ours.

I just dont have a clue what they mean. Might have to get them to send me a photo or something.

its most likely the same regs as for electric fires where they have to put a fixed fire guard on so little johnny cant put his fingers in etc

This is the type of fire I have. Not the exact one but this style.

Attachments

• ch.jpg
    ch.jpg
    63.3 KB · Views: 0
So they are talking about a normal fire guard then going off that picture.

But again, that would be parental responsibility surely, as it's not a required addition to the fire, it's time specific until little Johnny is old enough to know to not be a twat.

Just completed my ACS (renewal) two weeks ago, ten years in the gas trade as a service engineer, and I can safely say it does NOT require a guard, that is solely the responsibility of the tenant. They can buy the guard themselves or if you want to you can buy it and have it fitted, no way does it cost £95, that's them trying to get more work in such a quiet period of the year. You can buy one from Mothercare for about £25 and fit it yourself, or a fancy one that fits snugly around the fire for about the same price.

Send them a photo of yourself deano. Tell them to put it on the mantelpiece. Kids won't go near the fire.

Problem sorted.

I will invoice you £45 hence saved you 50%

You're most welcome.

Cheers Kojak, I'll go back to them and ask for some proof that this regulation actually exists, and mention the fact I know someone who recently completed the ACS renewal and says its bollox. :-)

The Fear - 16/7/2013 20:19

Send them a photo of yourself deano. Tell them to put it on the mantelpiece. Kids won't go near the fire.

Problem sorted.

I will invoice you £45 hence saved you 50%

You're most welcome.

:1: