Antonio Conte - (Sacked) Manager Thread | Page 47 | Vital Football

Antonio Conte - (Sacked) Manager Thread

Was Conte's time as head coach a success/failure?

• Success

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Failure

Votes: 4 28.6%
  • Neither - just more wasted time

Votes: 10 71.4%

• Total voters
Juventus[17]

Really only walked away because they'd massively overspent and the cupboard was bare - you could say he has impeccable timing and career decision-making..

I'd take three full years of Conte right now, but I'm told he is only considering a 2-year deal, but that's just hearsay I was told this morning.
Is that on top of the 1 he has left. In which case that's fair enough. A 3 year project.

I doubt we will lose much on Lo Celso.

Ndombele will be a massive hit. But I can't see us selling him. He will be loaned out until his contract ends.

Levy has made some terrible financial decisions over the years. He lost big money on Dele, Toby, Jan, Eriksen.

We could have made 300m on players sales alone.

Don't get me started on his manager picks. Clueless.
On one hand people used to complain about us always selling our best players and then when Levy doesn't do so and those players run down their contracts he then gets criticised for them leaving on frees.

I'd prefer to be labelled a selling club but be able to reinvest in the future growth of the club (which is how we got to the position of regularly competing for top 4) than to hold on to players who don't want to be here and watch their performances decline and then leave on a free.

But Dele wasn't the same situation as Toby, Jan, and they weren't the same as Eriksen. Dele was a declining player that managers held on to for far too long hoping for a magic turnaround. Toby and Jan were older players who were good to keep around (but we should have invested in their replacements simultaneously) but we were never going to get good money for them due to their age. We should have made good money on Eriksen but we let him run down his contract as no manager could face losing him.

Losses from Ndomele and Lo Celso is on managers and the scouting departments. Levy backed Poch in those windows.

Levy's problem is his trouble in recruiting the right staff to lead the bits of the business that he doesn't know. Hopefully Paratici will solve that and do better than the likes of Baldini did before him.

From memory

Toby - Ran down his contract. Was looking at a transfer away whilst slightly on the wane and with a years option on his contract. Levy correctly activated the extra year so Toby couldnt walk away and kept a solid guy around for another year whilst his performances dwindled. We had spent about £45m on Sanchez and had Dier in the wings too so we were also in a good place to mix & match and bring younger players through whilst keeping mature defenders on board.

Vert - Again, class player who had started to feel the intensity of the PL. He made the choice of ending his career at Spurs or getting 3 or more seasons elsewhere in a hotter climate with less stress on a daily basis. As per Toby, we had put the plans in place to replace and we did the right thing in the long term even though it pains to see him succeeding elsewhere.

Eriksen - He was pretty brutal to us. Lets not forget he signs a contract, he expects to honour it. He had absolutely no intention of renewing his contract or being sold unless it was on his terms. We may have wanted £20m or whatever for him but if he didnt get the wages of a free transfer, he wasnt interested and was happy to see it out. He paid for it by taking ages to get up to speed at Inter because he had played at 50% level for 12mths at spurs. We were in a no win situation where Levy couldnt afford to let a WC player leave on these terms or we would have the same for everyone else.

Dele - Cystal ball. People are still wondering if he can come good. No ill feelings and tbh i dont see him as a cash cow, just a complete joy to watch for a few years.

Ndombele - Absolute waste of money. Get whatever we can for him and get him away from the club. Sometimes people can infect a club just by association. Regardless of the cost, swallow it.

LoCelso - I am still tempted to keep him. I honestly think he could do a job for us. I accept others opinion on him and we shouldnt lose any money there.

All in all i think Conte and the rest are doing a pretty good recruitment job lately. I love some of the new guys and look forward to seeing what they can do with a few new players and a proper pre season.

On one hand people used to complain about us always selling our best players and then when Levy doesn't do so and those players run down their contracts he then gets criticised for them leaving on frees.

I'd prefer to be labelled a selling club but be able to reinvest in the future growth of the club (which is how we got to the position of regularly competing for top 4) than to hold on to players who don't want to be here and watch their performances decline and then leave on a free.

But Dele wasn't the same situation as Toby, Jan, and they weren't the same as Eriksen. Dele was a declining player that managers held on to for far too long hoping for a magic turnaround. Toby and Jan were older players who were good to keep around (but we should have invested in their replacements simultaneously) but we were never going to get good money for them due to their age. We should have made good money on Eriksen but we let him run down his contract as no manager could face losing him.

Losses from Ndomele and Lo Celso is on managers and the scouting departments. Levy backed Poch in those windows.

Levy's problem is his trouble in recruiting the right staff to lead the bits of the business that he doesn't know. Hopefully Paratici will solve that and do better than the likes of Baldini did before him.

Must admit, it's been a long time since I've heard anyone complain about Levy selling our best players. It's been an even longer time since I've heard anyone complain about him selling them and pocketing the cash for the stadium, rather than spending it on new players.

The complaints have mostly been about the entire recruitment team, including Levy, firing duds in every direction. Additionally, those incredibly long negotiation cycles impacting our pre-seasons.

That is, until Fabio took over football operations.

I doubt Fabio would have let Eriksen leave for a song or Toby to have those 2 bang average final seasons without recouping some decent money. I doubt Sanchez would have been around this long either. It is because he is a football man who can assess training and matches and form his own conclusions. That is something Levy definitely cannot do.

“It’s impossible to imagine that next season you are going to win the title because I’m realistic and I know there are teams in England like Liverpool and City, Chelsea, also United, who are really strong, and it’s not simple to face these monsters.”

I'd like to think that although him mentioning Chelsea shows he still has an affinity for them, the fact he didn't mention Arsenal as a strong team even though he mentioned United who are considerably worse than them at present, shows there's a little bit of Spurs bias sneaking into his thought process.

I've never doubted his passion on the touch line but the air of him "doing us a favour by managing this trophyless lost club" was grating a bit.

I'd like to think that although him mentioning Chelsea shows he still has an affinity for them, the fact he didn't mention Arsenal as a strong team even though he mentioned United who are considerably worse than them at present, shows there's a little bit of Spurs bias sneaking into his thought process.

I've never doubted his passion on the touch line but the air of him "doing us a favour by managing this trophyless lost club" was grating a bit.

All managers (bar a very very few) end up getting sacked as we fall out of love with them when things don't go their way.

It's a short-term love; it's the sort of relationship you know will never last, but whilst it does, the sex is amazing! Next ....

It's a shame White isn't getting a look in. But there is a lot on the line at the moment.

If we have blown our chances by the final game hopefully some of the kids will get a run out.

Yeah, I think White will be given the opportunity to have a breakthrough season out on loan next season. There would be some irony if he goes to Norwich and follows Skipp's tracks.

In The Times this evening:

"Most recently, Conte has said that his future will hinge on whether the club can match his ambitions when he sits down with Daniel Levy, the Tottenham chairman, after the end of the season. The pair met for dinner three weeks ago, when it is thought that transfers were discussed."

Are the newspapers getting this completely wrong still or is Levy still playing a role in transfers?

Gary Jacob, the journalist who wrote this article, is normally quite well informed about Tottenham matters.

In The Times this evening:

"Most recently, Conte has said that his future will hinge on whether the club can match his ambitions when he sits down with Daniel Levy, the Tottenham chairman, after the end of the season. The pair met for dinner three weeks ago, when it is thought that transfers were discussed."

Are the newspapers getting this completely wrong still or is Levy still playing a role in transfers?

Gary Jacob, the journalist who wrote this article, is normally quite well informed about Tottenham matters.

Three weeks ago no one had any idea we would end up in fourth. I would think that they met over what happens when we end up 5th or lower. An "In case this happens" meeting.