Antonio Conte - (Sacked) Manager Thread | Page 46 | Vital Football

Antonio Conte - (Sacked) Manager Thread

Was Conte's time as head coach a success/failure?

• Success

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Failure

Votes: 4 28.6%
  • Neither - just more wasted time

Votes: 10 71.4%

• Total voters
I doubt we will lose much on Lo Celso.

Ndombele will be a massive hit. But I can't see us selling him. He will be loaned out until his contract ends.

Levy has made some terrible financial decisions over the years. He lost big money on Dele, Toby, Jan, Eriksen.

We could have made 300m on players sales alone.

Don't get me started on his manager picks. Clueless.

LoCo will make us money. N'dombele was a heavily incentivized deal, so the headline number isn't nearly as painful as some think; we paid about £22 mill upfront and were committed to another £11 mill - the rest was all about CL football and finishing places in the PL and cup wins...so it might not be as painful as we think at all.

Levy made few (if any decisions) about any player(s) who we keep and who we let go is primarily the responsibility of the manager (slightly different now)...from peronsal knowledge he has only ever insisted on selling of one player - the rest (sadly) he has followed the advice of the chief scout/manager etc of the transfer and contracts committee..and sadly he has always relied on advice from 'football' people when it comes to choosing the next manager...which is why I've often said we need a genuine football man inside the club to make these decisions - which in fairness we now have, but probably 20 years overdue...there was a certain contracted advisor who fullfiled this 'football' brain and who picked up women from street corners who was far too heavily relied upon, then of course Glenda etc etc I should add, he is also the man responsible for bringing in Vert..

Last edited:
Spurs are primarily targeting Starting XI players. Replacements for current starters. You can guess who those are. Conte & Fabio (& Levy) are constantly discussing the plan, everyone is on the same page.

Levy is sanctioning Fabio's changes to the In-House setup, in replacing those that are underperforming, or at least not in tune with the plan. See the recent dismissal in the scouting dept. Watch the Spurs Med Staff next.

Biggest things about all of this is, that its a paradigm shift meant to last, beyond the tenure of any particular Mgr.

Doesn't mean the current one isnt having his say, and influence on whats happening today.

My impression, is that all parties, especially Conte himself, would be happy clams to see him evolve into a long-term Spurs Mgr like Pep & Klopp have done, have his own 'era'. I beleive he really does prefer to live in London, and that counts. Hasnt there been talk of him buying a home & enrolling his kids in school?

He certainly was managing these games like a guy comfortable with whatever happened. His effort to persist and force a coming together of a core group started to pay off, and the focus changed from 'who cares' to 'hmmm maybe?'. THIS is exactly what everyone was hoping to see, positive reaction & progress.

Sometimes things look very different from the outside than in, and he's now found himself a few players that he beleives he can win with. How we finish this one, will be a testament to his coaching abilities, and will gauge the longer-term interest by the club in having him around.

By all accounts he's being $backed$ in his project.

Spurs are primarily targeting Starting XI players. Replacements for current starters. You can guess who those are. Conte & Fabio (& Levy) are constantly discussing the plan, everyone is on the same page.

Levy is sanctioning Fabio's changes to the In-House setup, in replacing those that are underperforming, or at least not in tune with the plan. See the recent dismissal in the scouting dept. Watch the Spurs Med Staff next.

Biggest things about all of this is, that its a paradigm shift meant to last, beyond the tenure of any particular Mgr.

Doesn't mean the current one isnt having his say, and influence on whats happening today.

My impression, is that all parties, especially Conte himself, would be happy clams to see him evolve into a long-term Spurs Mgr like Pep & Klopp have done, have his own 'era'. I beleive he really does prefer to live in London, and that counts. Hasnt there been talk of him buying a home & enrolling his kids in school?

He certainly was managing these games like a guy comfortable with whatever happened. His effort to persist and force a coming together of a core group started to pay off, and the focus changed from 'who cares' to 'hmmm maybe?'. THIS is exactly what everyone was hoping to see, positive reaction & progress.

Sometimes things look very different from the outside than in, and he's now found himself a few players that he beleives he can win with. How we finish this one, will be a testament to his coaching abilities, and will gauge the longer-term interest by the club in having him around.

By all accounts he's being $backed$ in his project.

That's pretty much how I see things from the outside so that's good.

I never thought we had the 4th best first eleven or squad. So I never really anticipated us being in the mix for a top 4 spot. That we created an opportunity for ourselves surprised me. That we haven't taken it (seemingly) hasn't surprised me.

We have too many in our first eleven who are no better than the players for clubs in their respective positions who are way below us in the table.
I must admit before the January Transfer Window I didn't think we stood a chance of top 4. The 1st team just wasn't good enough.

If we had Conte from the off with this current squad I would have been more optimistic.

Bentancur and Kulu have been instrumental in our run in. I doubt we would be in the running without them.
Whilst I don't disagree too much on your assessments of our team and squad, we must remember with what we were comparing ourselves to at that time. Arsenal, United and ourselves all looked so feeble. That's the context in which Conte arrived and a manager with the reputation of Conte should have been expected to whip us in to shape to compete (even if not to finish in) 4th. It's not a case of comparing the arsenal of now to the spurs of when conte arrived.

I just think it's another case of a manager revising history in order to inflate the achievements that they have made. Jose was another master of this and I just wish they would stop trying to pull the wool over fans eyes and focus on the job at hand.

Whilst I don't disagree too much on your assessments of our team and squad, we must remember with what we were comparing ourselves to at that time. Arsenal, United and ourselves all looked so feeble. That's the context in which Conte arrived and a manager with the reputation of Conte should have been expected to whip us in to shape to compete (even if not to finish in) 4th. It's not a case of comparing the arsenal of now to the spurs of when conte arrived.

I just think it's another case of a manager revising history in order to inflate the achievements that they have made. Jose was another master of this and I just wish they would stop trying to pull the wool over fans eyes and focus on the job at hand.

I think it's more a case of shutting up the media. They have the memory of a gnat so it isn't that hard.

We have to remember what Antonio's biggest challenge was though. Quite honestly, it is table stakes to pick a tried and trusted system like 3-4-3 and coach the guys every day to get used to it.

If we remember rightly, that wasn't the big problem Antonio had to deal with. He inherited a bunch of spoilt little brats who all looked better on paper than they did on grass. They had downed tools for 3 consecutive managers over multiple years and there was an implied toxic culture in that changing room. Too much smoke and all that.

Antonio had to act quickly and make his tough choices. He would have been devastated that he had to bite his tongue in positions where our squad depth was so low but he dealt with other positions. That shaped the thoughts for the January window. As we discuss every week, some players are still getting away with a bad attitude and it could easily turn ugly again. That is why Fabio has to never leave us in a position where that can happen again.

In reality, Utd were going through a similar cycle of toxicity. Obviously, Arsenal weren't which is why they are rightly favourites for 4th place. When Conte joined, our biggest rivals were teams like Wolves who were fantastic when they lost to us in the season openers.

Overall, I do think Conte has got us punching above our weight but it is not about the player's ability. I still want some of them out of this club, including the England captain where some of the big attitude problems precipitate from.

As I said to you a couple of days back, Conte needs to have better fighting talk heading into the new season though.

The difference Conte has made - despite two partial meltdowns along the way!

In Conte's 25 PL matches with Spurs, we've scored 51 goals (3rd highest in PL), just 7 less than Liverpool and 13 more than United.

Given where we were, this is an amazing Stat.

Levy: #breakthebankforConte!

The difference Conte has made - despite two partial meltdowns along the way!

In Conte's 25 PL matches with Spurs, we've scored 51 goals (3rd highest in PL), just 7 less than Liverpool and 13 more than United.

Given where we were, this is an amazing Stat.

Levy: #breakthebankforConte!

Yeah, let's hope Conte can get us back to that mode we had before the Brighton and Brentford games. We had goals and assists coming from everywhere including guys like Doherty. It was the first time in years you didn't have to worry about Kane or Sonny not scoring.

That's what we need next season.

What we don't want is him going into the new season with his current contract.

Players don't tend to do well in those situations. Players can easily take their foot off the pedal.

He needs to sign a new deal asap. Continuity is needed here.

What we don't want is him going into the new season with his current contract.

Players don't tend to do well in those situations. Players can easily take their foot off the pedal.

He needs to sign a new deal asap. Continuity is needed here.

He's a smart man but his agent Federico Pastorello is an animal and is said to control Conte's career decision-making with an iron fist.

Conte has complete faith in him and trusts him implicitly; Frederico has and will continue to make himself rich off of Conte's moves - so whilst I'm still being told we are quietly confident that the deal we've prepared will be accepted, nothing would surprise me; one is all about the self-enrichment and one is highly emotional..but I remain confident that he is committed to staying in London and staying with us.

Guess we will know pretty soon now.

Antonio Conte has admitted it will be ‘impossible’ for Tottenham to compete with Manchester City and Liverpool for the Premier League title next season.

Spurs have fared well against the divisions top two sides this season beating City twice and drawing with Liverpool for a second time, with their latest result against the Reds culminating in a 1-1 draw.

Saturday’s stalemate at Anfield kept alive Tottenham’s hopes of reaching the Champions League next term, while it hindered the hosts’ push for the title.

While Spurs kept the contest tight and could have even escaped with all three points, Conte was asked how long it would take for his side to compete with both City and Liverpool for the Premier League title.

The Italian, though, claimed he needs to keep improving Tottenham’s foundations to come close to matching the ‘monsters’ of the runaway top flight duo.

Conte said (via Football.London): “Yeah, I understand this type of questions, but I think we need to have a path with the team, and to create a base and then to improve the base here.

“I think Liverpool, no I’m sure Liverpool did this because they created a foundation with Jurgen [Klopp] and they did a fantastic job in seven years they won a lot.

“He created a monster, in a good way, an amazing way, and he has to be satisfied – but to do this you have to have time and patience, and a lot of things because you have to go step by step.

“It’s impossible to imagine that next season you are going to win the title because I’m realistic and I know there are teams in England like Liverpool and City, Chelsea, also United, who are really strong, and it’s not simple to face these monsters.”

(Perhaps more importantly is that he was happy to answer questions about next season - which may well indicate exactly where he expects to be..)

Antonio Conte has admitted it will be ‘impossible’ for Tottenham to compete with Manchester City and Liverpool for the Premier League title next season.

Spurs have fared well against the divisions top two sides this season beating City twice and drawing with Liverpool for a second time, with their latest result against the Reds culminating in a 1-1 draw.

Saturday’s stalemate at Anfield kept alive Tottenham’s hopes of reaching the Champions League next term, while it hindered the hosts’ push for the title.

While Spurs kept the contest tight and could have even escaped with all three points, Conte was asked how long it would take for his side to compete with both City and Liverpool for the Premier League title.

The Italian, though, claimed he needs to keep improving Tottenham’s foundations to come close to matching the ‘monsters’ of the runaway top flight duo.

Conte said (via Football.London): “Yeah, I understand this type of questions, but I think we need to have a path with the team, and to create a base and then to improve the base here.

“I think Liverpool, no I’m sure Liverpool did this because they created a foundation with Jurgen [Klopp] and they did a fantastic job in seven years they won a lot.

“He created a monster, in a good way, an amazing way, and he has to be satisfied – but to do this you have to have time and patience, and a lot of things because you have to go step by step.

“It’s impossible to imagine that next season you are going to win the title because I’m realistic and I know there are teams in England like Liverpool and City, Chelsea, also United, who are really strong, and it’s not simple to face these monsters.”

(Perhaps more importantly is that he was happy to answer questions about next season - which may well indicate exactly where he expects to be..)

When has Conte ever had time or shown patience at any club. Is it 2 years is his max ? Maybe he has decided to change that and go for a project ?

It does sound like Conte is planning on sticking around and building something.

I also think City have some work to do to stay with Liverpool. They have some key contract decision to make and will need more than just Haaland. There's quite a few of them into their thirties as well.

I doubt we will lose much on Lo Celso.

Ndombele will be a massive hit. But I can't see us selling him. He will be loaned out until his contract ends.

Levy has made some terrible financial decisions over the years. He lost big money on Dele, Toby, Jan, Eriksen.

We could have made 300m on players sales alone.

Don't get me started on his manager picks. Clueless.
Didn't we pick up Dele for a song? From what i hear the club made a tidy profit on his sale.

When has Conte ever had time or shown patience at any club. Is it 2 years is his max ? Maybe he has decided to change that and go for a project ?

Juventus[17]

Really only walked away because they'd massively overspent and the cupboard was bare - you could say he has impeccable timing and career decision-making..

I'd take three full years of Conte right now, but I'm told he is only considering a 2-year deal, but that's just hearsay I was told this morning.