Antoine Robinson | Page 2 | Vital Football

Antoine Robinson

I hate international football as it just gets in the way of club football. It's the clubs who scout, train, pay for the transfer fees and wages and then the country swoops in for a couple of weeks and risks injury and fatigue that could change a season for a player and a club. It's not right, even if the country is covering wage while they are away clubs largely end up worse off.

I wish they would cut out the breaks and just and do all internationals in one go in the summer after all the club games are done so it would have the least possible impact on the parent clubs season.

But kdz if all international games were played in the summer then players wouldn't have a proper break. Then fans and clubs would be complaining about player burnout. They'd be knackered come pre season.

Given he doesn't play or make the squad, it's no wonder he's written off!

Super Kai not even warming the bench again today, in fact I'm not sure he's in the travelling party.

I

Agree Moonay really cannot understand the negativity directed at him when he has not yet played a competitive match for us! For God's sake give the lad a chance at least!!
Has there been any negativity towards him as a player?
The only thing that you interprate as negativity are comments made about his sudden rise from being an average everyday League One player to being a squad number with a Championship club and further comments made by contributers regarding him playing left back when he is a right sided midfielder. These are astute observations rather than negative comments. If we had a personel problem at the right midfield position then by all means give him a go there but there's little chance of that because he is so far down the pecking order.
Who is playing right midfield today?

Has there been any negativity towards him as a player?
The only thing that you interprate as negativity are comments made about his sudden rise from being an average everyday League One player to being a squad number with a Championship club and further comments made by contributers regarding him playing left back when he is a right sided midfielder. These are astute observations rather than negative comments. If we had a personel problem at the right midfield position then by all means give him a go there but there's little chance of that because he is so far down the pecking order.
Who is playing right midfield today?
Connolly, which is bizarre as McManaman, Byrne and Jacobs are on the bench and are all more than capable. I'd give Byrne a go on the wing personally as he was so good going forward last season, and I can't see him getting in ahead of James at RB at the moment

Most likely on one of those on loan must play idiotic contracts. Ridiculous to have a defender who isn't our player playing out of position ahead of those players.

But kdz if all international games were played in the summer then players wouldn't have a proper break. Then fans and clubs would be complaining about player burnout. They'd be knackered come pre season.

The would be the same number of games and the same length of summer break for players, it would just be the 4 or 5 international weeks spread through the season removed meaning the season could condense and finish 4 or 5 weeks earlier. So instead of the season finishing in late May with international breaks it could finish late April without them and then have those 4 or 5 weeks worth of internationals all in one block directly after the season finishes throughout May with the players still starting their summer break at the end of May.

That way the season for club managers wouldn't have any disruption and the international managers would have a much longer period with the players together rather than just a few days here and there spread over the year and no club managers pressuring them to not play their players or players ducking out of games to nurse minor injuries for the sake of their clubs upcoming important games.

I'd say it would be a win - win for all involved and much fairer than it is now. I hazard a guess 4 or 5 weeks together would yield better performances and spirit than you can probably get with players parachuting in a couple of days before a game and leaving directly afterwards.

Connolly, which is bizarre as McManaman, Byrne and Jacobs are on the bench and are all more than capable. I'd give Byrne a go on the wing personally as he was so good going forward last season, and I can't see him getting in ahead of James at RB at the moment

It may be a genuine tactical choice rather than anything else.

McMannaman can't do 90 mins, isn't good at tracking back and offers no physical threat on high balls but obviously has a lot to offer running at players with his pace.

While Connolly is a better worker / presser of the ball, better at tracking and offers a threat on balls into the box and offers an extra target as we play long cross field balls.

It depends on what you are trying to do tactically. Maybe it will or wont work, but i think that you can see method to it. If we were forced to play Connolly by a clause i suspect it would be more likely that Connolly wouldn't be on the right wing but maybe one of the def midfield spots with Morsy or Evans pushed further forward.

Byrne was pretty ineffective on the wing against QPR, i think he's a wing back not a winger and thrives given that extra space he gets free on a direct marker that he would have to face if playing as an out and out midfielder.