Antique Chat | Vital Football

Antique Chat

Nick Real Deal

Vital Football Legend
I've started this over here because it's the right place. It will probably be mostly me posting interesting finds but feel free to get involved.

This week's find is an old film prop. A wooden box used for the film The Awakening released in 1980 with Charlton Heston playing the lead role as an archaeologist who disturbs a mummy. You know the rest !! Although set in 1979 there were flashbacks to 18 years before when Charlton uncovered the tomb. For this he needed tools and a tool box !!
It came from Elstree Studios and has labels to suggest it's authentication.
I have not watched the film but might try and see if I can spot the box.
I also have an original cinema card poster with Charlton Heston and Rex Harrison on it from The Agony and Ecstasy 1965 ish. I just need to wait for a Charlton Heston enthusiast.
Planet of the Apes and Soylent Green are a couple of my favourites.

Last edited:
I've started this over here because it's the right place. It will probably ne mostly me posting interesting finds but feel free to get involved.

This week's find is an old film prop. A wooden box used for the film The Awakening released in 1980 with Charlton Heston playing the lead role as an archaeologist who disturbs a mummy. You know the rest !! Although set in 1979 there were flashbacks to 18 years before when Charlton uncovered the tomb. For this he needed tools and a tool box !!
It came from Earlstree Studios and has labels to suggest it's authentication.
I have not watched the film but might try and see if I can spot the box.
I also have an original cinema card poster with Charlton Heston and Rex Harrison on it from The Agony and Ecstasy 1965 ish. I just need to wait for a Charlton Heston enthusiast.
Planet of the Apes and Soylent Green are a couple of my favourites.
I remember going to the cinema to watch Planet of the Apes, what a great twist it was revealing the ruins of the Statue of Liberty at the end after making you believe they had landed on a different planet.

I grew up not too far from Elstree and remember the two big studios that were based there, people were always on the look out for big stars of the day arriving and leaving.

I remember going to the cinema to watch Planet of the Apes, what a great twist it was revealing the ruins of the Statue of Liberty at the end after making you believe they had landed on a different planet.

I grew up not too far from Elstree and remember the two big studios that were based there, people were always on the look out for big stars of the day arriving and leaving.

Thanks for the spelling check. Of course it's Elstree !!

One for coffin dodgers club. Marconi model 289 dates to 1934. Mahogany cabinet. Rolls Royce in its day at 33 Guineas, equal to £ 1800.00 today.

Nick, what's the crack with modern furniture? They're either covered in a cheap lacquer or a veneer. Is it to reduce production costs?

We own a number of solid walnut units including a curio & various end tables. A matching pair in our front room & another pair in the hallway. I've been on the look out for a walnut coffee table for some time now but to no avail. Are they something that you would come across often in the trade?

Nick, what's the crack with modern furniture? They're either covered in a cheap lacquer or a veneer. Is it to reduce production costs?

We own a number of solid walnut units including a curio & various end tables. A matching pair in our front room & another pair in the hallway. I've been on the look out for a walnut coffee table for some time now but to no avail. Are they something that you would come across often in the trade?

Quality modern furniture costs a fortune. The rest is generally not worth bothering with. As regards to Walnut it depends on the style you are looking for but I have had them over the years. A Google search might throw something up.

No particular style in mind, just something that's fit for purpose. I'd prefer not to go for an antique piece as it will be used as intended. Drinks, mags & the like. They're certainly hard to find. There are a few which feature glass tops (probably another cost cutting exercise) although i've yet to see one that i'd even consider. In any case the search continues. Thanks for your input Nick.

No particular style in mind, just something that's fit for purpose. I'd prefer not to go for an antique piece as it will be used as intended. Drinks, mags & the like. They're certainly hard to find. There are a few which feature glass tops (probably another cost cutting exercise) although i've yet to see one that i'd even consider. In any case the search continues. Thanks for your input Nick.

Have one made. We did that with our cherry dining room table. Saved THOUSANDS.

Having a shop full of furniture of all kinds of wood I get used to seeing contrasts in colours. I quite like to see it rather than have everything matching. People often say to me it's not quite the same colour as the rest of our furniture......I think bit dont say....so what, its a natural product.

Having a shop full of furniture of all kinds of wood I get used to seeing contrasts in colours. I quite like to see it rather than have everything matching. People often say to me it's not quite the same colour as the rest of our furniture......I think bit dont say....so what, its a natural product.
So true. To try & get an exact match for pieces is nigh on impossible, that being said some don't like the conventional approach. Sometimes it pays off when you take the yin & yang approach.

Something i have noticed is the standard fare when it comes to dining tables & chairs. The missus decided to take a more unorthodox approach by keeping our solid oak dining table ( too good to replace ) & instead purchased a half a dozen solid mahogany chairs. It's not something you'll see often ( the dark & light contrast really works ). They regularly receive a thumbs up.

Couple of nice finds today. A USAF and Navy desk from a UK base. Made in Cambridgeshire 1959. Has USAF ink stamp and metal plaque for US Navy. The company that made it was Papworth Industry who in WWal2 made aircraft parts.

And a 1950s microscope in original mahogany box along with slides and tweezers. Cost originally 95 shillings.

I love wooden furniture. What could be better.