Anthony Scully | Page 3 | Vital Football

Anthony Scully

He's an intelligent player as well as having a good workrate! Gets in the right position alot , just needs to finish off more of those chances. Should've had 2 today but overall did very well.

I actually think he would do well in a 2 man forward line alongside someone like Hopper. Not sure he is a winger/wide player in the same way Anderson is.

After he burst on the scene last January, I expected slightly more during the opening stages of this season. However, after a consecutive run of games he starting to look really dangerous. My MOM today, but didn’t realise his stats were so good.

Impressive post match interview from Anthony today, well worth a listen. All the hard work is paying off.

Me and our mate said we liked him from his first appearance.. tenacity, work rate and also knows how to play.

Side note - Maybe MA has big influence on this, I feel even flair players (grant and johnson) put in the defensive work.

Scully will only get better wont come overnight but hopefully he stays with Lincoln stats dont lie it will be noted by others

Anyone else concerned that despite the talk around us building a squad for the future, at least three of the best young(ish) players we actually own (Grant, Anderson and Scully) can leave for nothing soon (or next to nothing in Scully's case)?

Anyone else concerned that despite the talk around us building a squad for the future, at least three of the best young(ish) players we actually own (Grant, Anderson and Scully) can leave for nothing soon (or next to nothing in Scully's case)?

No - in this respect.

The last 12 months have made long term planning almost impossible...

...but if any board are likely to have been doing things in the best possible way in these circumstances, then it is likely to be ours.

It may be, not offering contracts earlier may result in your fears being realised.

However, it might also have ensured we are in a position where we could get to the top of league one and be in a position to be recruiting £4m loanees and be a very attractive location for any replacements.

It might also have made resigning for Lincoln a more attractive option for a young player soon out of contract.

If we do lose any of these players, it will be to do with the impact of covid not poor running of the club, you can be pretty sure if that.

I wouldn't give it a second thought, the system of recruitment we have is well organised and more than capable of providing players as good as or better than the ones we have. Jez said a few weeks ago that we have replacements for Grant in mind if he does leave - if we can replace Grant, we can replace any of them.

And don't forget we still have no idea which division we are going to be in next season. The one thing our promotion from League Two demonstrated beyond doubt is that the step up to the higher division is a huge one: the players who won League Two very comfortably were not good enough individually or collectively for League One and had to be replaced. On that basis, you can understand the club being a bit reticent to agree contracts with players who may not be up to playing in the Championship.

Jez's comment about possibly doing some of our summer business this January was interesting: are those targets L1 or Championship in nature?

Scully's a bit of a throwback to a big man/little man combination IMO.

He comes across an an instinctive, fox in the box type of striker who'd thrive in the old 4-4-2 set-ups.

I'm trying to think back of the goals he's scored for us and most seem to be one touch types.

its a good point. our model is to bring players in with potential and sell them on-the profit needed to invest back in the club. if their contract is coming to an end and we are unable to afford their new wage demands, -thats a bit of a problem.
I've no doubt we can find more players with the same sort of potential and bring them through.

I think I saw a tweet from Gary Hutchinson suggesting he thinks we have an option of another year.
I was thinking the same thing the other day. This must be the case otherwise why hasn’t Appleton said anything about his contract - only Grant and Anderson. No way they would just let him go now