Anthony Scully | Page 2 | Vital Football

Anthony Scully

After his start to the season I was worried that he wasn't going to push on and show further signs of what we saw back in January etc. He does seem to be picking up now though and I realise he has a few goals from fairly limited game time - I'm just demanding. As someone else said previously on this thread, he perhaps might be a little more effective if he didn't run around quite so much, by which I mean if he were a little more focused, but I think that is just an example of his enthusiasm showing. Keep on doing what you're doing, developing, oh and sign a new deal with us too, Anthony.

After his start to the season I was worried that he wasn't going to push on and show further signs of what we saw back in January etc. He does seem to be picking up now though and I realise he has a few goals from fairly limited game time - I'm just demanding. As someone else said previously on this thread, he perhaps might be a little more effective if he didn't run around quite so much, by which I mean if he were a little more focused, but I think that is just an example of his enthusiasm showing. Keep on doing what you're doing, developing, oh and sign a new deal with us too, Anthony.

He certainly demonstrated in the last game that he now realises that he has different options when on the ball other than "shoot", which was my main criticism of him when seeing him play previously...

Perhaps he plays better without Hopper. That is no disrespect to Hopper who is fantastic. But perhaps playing the two together stifles Scully a little.

scully struggled in the past trying to play the nine role too much like hopper, and got bullied in 50/50 challenges, especially aerial challenges. i thought he came deeper for the ball on tuesday, and also made more runs into wide areas. learning all the time - very good to see.
it also takes the rest of the team to adapt to playing without hopper - which i think they did. we played very few aimless high balls down the middle towards their 3 centre backs - also very good to see. best game i have seen from melbourne in that respect.

Scully's scoring record is among the best in League One: 9 goals from 16 starts this season, and 11 from 19 starts in his Lincoln career.

His overall contribution improves by the game too - I thought he was good defensively today.

Reminds me of a Jack Russell, love his tenacity which to me is rare from players coming down the pyramid and gets in the right spots. Has really come on and is now in a position to be banging on MA's door and asking for a new contract (think he signed an initial 18 month deal last Jan?).

Sounds as though he and Grant have been singled out for not always performing to their abilities reading between the lines of MAs interview. Grant has certainly been a transformed player this season and Scully has made telling contributions in far more games with his never give up attitude.

today showed he can shine in a top of league one game, especially the second half. for me that is real progress by him. i am hoping more of ours join that group in time for the next one. we need that collective belief that we are good enough to compete with hull, portsmouth, sunderland et al, from the very start of a game, rather than when we are a goal down after 20 - 30 minutes.

He is a talent, no doubt about that. The only slight - slight - downside is that he sometimes holds on to the ball too long, or takes far too much time to lay the ball off or make a decision. A couple of times today he carried real threat but hesitated, lost momentum, and the attack petered out.

He is a talent, no doubt about that. The only slight - slight - downside is that he sometimes holds on to the ball too long, or takes far too much time to lay the ball off or make a decision. A couple of times today he carried real threat but hesitated, lost momentum, and the attack petered out.
Jaggy, haven't seen you in ages!

I must admit I have been a Scully sceptic in the past, but he really impressed me today. Much improved decision making, awareness and defensive contribution. Well done Anthony. We must be looking at extending his contract now, surely.